PDA

View Full Version : 12v system to 24v system....

Tundra4x4
04-22-2009, 07:47 PM
I have a 12v system and i was thinking about converting it to a 24v system. My question is how would i go about doing this? Is there any upgrades i need to do on my truck? I have a dry cell that is running +nnnn-nnnn+nnnn-nnnn+ , so is there some other way i would need to arrange them to work? I am thinking about doing this bc to count down on amps and increase production at fewer amps. Can someone help me with this?
thanks guys

H2OPWR
04-22-2009, 09:22 PM
I have a 12v system and i was thinking about converting it to a 24v system. My question is how would i go about doing this? Is there any upgrades i need to do on my truck? I have a dry cell that is running +nnnn-nnnn+nnnn-nnnn+ , so is there some other way i would need to arrange them to work? I am thinking about doing this bc to count down on amps and increase production at fewer amps. Can someone help me with this?
thanks guys

As far as converting the entire truck to 24 volts. That would not be possible with todays electronics. There may be a way to add a second alternator and somehow use the two to power your cell but I would be very careful. One slip up with feedback and you are out many dollars replacing expensive electronics. Your only advantage id using 24 volts at lower amps would be the size of wire to the cell. The watts would remain the same. Wattage is what robs the engine of power to make amperage is a relative term.

Larry

Roland Jacques
04-22-2009, 09:50 PM
I think you could do it maybe a couple different ways, but it would not be cheap or easy.

If you want more output you might be better off going for a High Amp alternator 200 amp kind like Larry did. Smacks 24 volt unit is about 15% more efficient than his 12 volt system I'm not sure it worth the trouble.

BoyntonStu
04-22-2009, 10:17 PM
thanks guys

Go for 48 Volts!

BoyntonStu

H2OPWR
04-23-2009, 12:41 AM
I think you could do it maybe a couple different ways, but it would not be cheap or easy.

If you want more output you might be better off going for a High Amp alternator 200 amp kind like Larry did. Smacks 24 volt unit is about 15% more efficient than his 12 volt system I'm not sure it worth the trouble.

Be wary of beleiving that 24 volts can make a device more effecient than 12 volts. If electrolosis is most effecient at 2 volts or slightly less per gap then the notion that 24 volts is more effecient than 12 does not make sence. Smacks results were designed to prove magnetic alignment was helpful not voltage. There are many ways to improve magnetic field strength if indeed it helps to those degrees. Converting a modern 12 volt automobile to 24 volts would be an excersize in extreme frustration. Trying to devide the voltage to 12 to run all the modern electronics would waste far more power than any effeciency gain would make. Just the risk of an expensive ECU should deter anyone fron attempting this. Just design your device so that the magnet field would align and the problem is solved.

Tundra4x4
04-23-2009, 12:59 PM
See my problem is that I have a 2001 toyota tundra and i asked a question on tundrasolutions.com about where to get a high output alternator and they told me that no one makes one for my truck bc it is some kind of special alternator. I have a 100 amp alternator now and i am afraid to pull anything more than 25 amps from it to run my cell. I want somewhere around 200 amp alternator but i cant find one. Anyone have any solutions for me or a place that sells them?

H2OPWR
04-23-2009, 01:42 PM
See my problem is that I have a 2001 toyota tundra and i asked a question on tundrasolutions.com about where to get a high output alternator and they told me that no one makes one for my truck bc it is some kind of special alternator. I have a 100 amp alternator now and i am afraid to pull anything more than 25 amps from it to run my cell. I want somewhere around 200 amp alternator but i cant find one. Anyone have any solutions for me or a place that sells them?

Check this site out http://www.ohiogen.com/ Call the number and ask for Gus. He can make a very nice high amp alternator easily for your truck. The problem is that they are fairly expensive unless you are a dealer. Even then they are not cheap. If you decide you want one let me know. I set up are dealership as a distributor and I could order you one at dealer cost. You could pay them direct and If I place the order you will get a much better price and they would ship it directly to you. I had the same issue with my Nissan Frontier. No one made a high amp alternator for it. Gus was able to come through and they do great work.

Larry

Tundra4x4
04-23-2009, 03:16 PM
I just called Gus and he told me that he can get me a 180 amp direct amp for $450 plus shipping. Is that a fair price for one? He told me it has a max of 200-210 amps.

H2OPWR
04-23-2009, 03:41 PM
I just called Gus and he told me that he can get me a 180 amp direct amp for $450 plus shipping. Is that a fair price for one? He told me it has a max of 200-210 amps.

The amperage sounds about right. My stock alternator was 130 amps and my new one is 265. He told me that he can usually double the factory output. My alternator at dealer cost was $550.00. I had a Subaru alternator redone to 160 amps from the stock 80. It was $350.00 to do it. It sounds like the $450.00 price is in the ballpark. If I were you I would just ask him if a dealer ordered it would it save you anything if they did not mark it up. If he says yes I would be glad to place the order. It does sound about right though. A stock 100 amp unit would be in the mid $200.00 price range. If you really want to make a large amount of HHO I would strongly recommend the upgrade if it is affordable. The shame of this all is that in order to make enough HHO to really help we have to find a way to power the unit and most stock vehicles just will not handle the load. If you do this remember that the stock wire from the alternator to the battery will probably not handle the extra load with out overheating and potentially causing a huge problem. You will either have to change it or simply add another additional wire running in parallel between the new alternator and your battery positive post.

Good Luck and let me know if I can help.

Larry