PDA

View Full Version : Whats a safe Exhaust Gauge Temp when using HHO?

Roland Jacques
04-22-2009, 10:25 AM
Whats a safe Exhaust Gauge Temp when using HHO?

I see suggestion to monitor your EGT, but a little unclear.
1. Doesn't HHO always lower EGT?
2. Is there down side in having too Low of an EGT?
3. Or is it the efie / map maf enhancing that is the issue, possible raising the EGT?.

Painless
04-22-2009, 11:06 AM
Roland,

Every engine is different, you should install your EGT and run your vehicle completely stock for several days. Make a note of the EGT temps at:

idle
30 mph
40 mph
50 mph
55 mph
Full throttle run from standstill to 55 mph.

...when the vehicle has fully warmed up. Over the course of these few days, insure that these are consistent.

Now you have your baseline for monitoring changes.

Russ.

Roland Jacques
04-22-2009, 02:50 PM
Thanks Russ,
OK i understand how to get the baseline. I guess my question is after you have your stock running baseline. What Temps should be of concern at that point?

Is there any downside to your cars ET running 20% lower than stock?
(other than the cats not reaching their desired operating temps.)

Or is it just Hotter than stock Exhaust Temps, that we should be concerned with and try to avoid?

H2OPWR
04-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Thanks Russ,
OK i understand how to get the baseline. I guess my question is after you have your stock running baseline. What Temps should be of concern at that point?

Is there any downside to your cars ET running 20% lower than stock?
(other than the cats not reaching their desired operating temps.)

Or is it just Hotter than stock Exhaust Temps, that we should be concerned with and try to avoid?

Hotter should be your only worry. It is the actual cylinder heat temp that is the real concern. Hotter than normal exhaust gas temps are an indication that your cylinder head is heating up. You should never let the cylinder head heat up more than 100 degrees over baseline and even that is a risk. The overheating is caused by leaning out your mixture too far. You are losing the internal lubrication that gasoline provides as well as causing pre ignition. Adding the proper amount of HHO will help with that as the steam provides internal cooling that you lose with the lower amount of gasoline. I am adding 5 lpm of HHO and it takes my car longer to get up to normal operating temps then before. It is about 2 miles farther in my commute before my truck gets up to normal operating temp than before HHO and it is warmer outside now than before. After I add the EFIE and MAP I am sure that will return to normal.

Larry

Roland Jacques
04-22-2009, 05:34 PM
Thanks for confirming that, I was not sure. Sounds like a worth while investment i saw some on Ebay under $50 shiped.

Do you have a EGT or head temp gauge on your truck? if so how much did the HHO alone lower your temps?

H2OPWR
04-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Thanks for confirming that, I was not sure. Sounds like a worth while investment i saw some on Ebay under $50 shiped.

Do you have a EGT or head temp gauge on your truck? if so how much did the HHO alone lower your temps?

I have a cylinder head temp guage but have not installed it. I have not been concerned about the extra heat yet because I have not leaned out my engine yet and have put off the install. I had not thought about measuring to see if HHO alone would lower the cylinder head temp. That would be good information to have. When I am finished watching the ECU's reaction to just HHO I will install The CHT, EFIE's, and MAF. I will see if there is a difference at that time and report back.

Larry