PDA

View Full Version : Do Bubbles between plates help efficiency ?

Roland Jacques
04-19-2009, 10:28 AM
Do Bubbles between plates help efficiency?

IE, If i create & maintain a foam electrolyte solution, and fill a dry the cell with it, will fracture water better? Something is telling me that it should, but i cant get my head around it.

BoyntonStu
04-19-2009, 10:35 AM
Do Bubbles between plates help efficiency?

IE, If i create & maintain a foam electrolyte solution, and fill a dry the cell with it, will fracture water better? Something is telling me that it should, but i cant get my head around it.

Foam is your enemy.

The gas inside the bubble prevents electrolysis.

Eliminate foam!

BoyntonStu

Roland Jacques
04-19-2009, 10:50 AM
Are you sure, has this been tested?

Your probably right but just to be clear, I know it will reduce production, but I'm talking about efficiency. We can make up for the production down sides...

I was thinking the current traveling on the outside of the moving bubbles. The water molecules would more end to end, and possibly allowing more molecules to fracture at a time, with the same wattage. Just thinking out loud.

Roland Jacques
04-20-2009, 07:49 AM
I seem to remember folks were seeing efficiency benefits to moving plates closer together. Wasn't this the case?

Wouldn't saturating the electrolyte with a moving bubbles in the dry cell, top to bottom, have the same positive effects as moving the plates closer together, without the negative downsides? (poor releasing of the gases because they get trapped which lowers production)

H2OPWR
04-20-2009, 11:52 AM
I seem to remember folks were seeing efficiency benefits to moving plates closer together. Wasn't this the case?

Wouldn't saturating the electrolyte with a moving bubbles in the dry cell, top to bottom, have the same positive effects as moving the plates closer together, without the negative downsides? (poor releasing of the gases because they get trapped which lowers production)

The benefit from moving the plates closer together is lowering the resistance in the cell by lowering the amount of electrolite that the electricity has to travel through to reach the next electrode. The down side is the ratio of gas to electrolite between the plates. The space that the bubbles take up are nonconductive. That interupts the ion path. Too bad that there is no way to know what the best resolution is other than trial and error. There are just so many variables. We change what we think is one variable and measure the result. We may have actually have unintentionally changed more than one and our result is skewed. We then come to a conclusion based on what we think we have done and it may not be right at all.

Larry

Roland Jacques
04-20-2009, 07:28 PM
Yeah, you hit the nail on the head. I'm thinking the cell would have to be at least 5 times more area to produce the same output production. It would also have to have a lot of bubbles constantly pumping through it.

I think the bubbles would work the same way when it comes to closer the plates the less electrolyte the the current has to travel through = less resistance.

If i knew how much better 1/16" gap works over a 1/2" gap. I could get a ruff guess of what increase in efficiency the bubble effect may have. and determine if it worth the expense and time of setting up this test. i'd hate to do all this only to find a 3% increase. I would really need to build a unorthodox cell to test this. Like 2 or 3" wide by 36" or 48" tall.

Thanks for your input Larry

H2OPWR
04-20-2009, 07:34 PM
Yeah, you hit the nail on the head. I'm thinking the cell would have to be at least 5 times more area to produce the same output production. It would also have to have a lot of bubbles constantly pumping through it.

I think the bubbles would work the same way when it comes to closer the plates the less electrolyte the the current has to travel through = less resistance.

If i knew how much better 1/16" gap works over a 1/2" gap. I could get a ruff guess of what increase in efficiency the bubble effect may have. and determine if it worth the expense and time of setting up this test. i'd hate to do all this only to find a 3% increase. I would really need to build a unorthodox cell to test this. Like 2 or 3" wide by 36" or 48" tall.

Thanks for your input Larry

Do not forget that with every change that you make with your cell many things will change. Temps, KOH concentration, Amp Draw etc. Any of these things can and will change effeciency. I have come to many conclusions ablut many things only to figure out later that the change was caused by yet another variable.

Larry