PDA

View Full Version : Clear end plates link?

bigjim56
04-16-2009, 04:37 PM
I'm ready to make my end plates for my trucks dry cell. In June a trip to Branson is in order where a lot of family members will be there, so I was wanting clear plastic end plates if there is one. This HHO will undoubtably become a conversation piece at some point. I searched the site and it seems most clear plastic is of the Lexan type, and prone to cracking.

Does anyone know of a good strong clear plastic that is good enough for dry cell use?

I made the cars dry cell end boards out of the Walmart cutting board (HDPE) and although its working well and doing the job, it is not perfectly flat (dimpled) and it did show slight warpage at the ends. Its working, but its thickness is questionable because of the warpage.

Thanks for the responses ahead of time,

bigjim56

gashead
04-16-2009, 04:57 PM
I'm ready to make my end plates for my trucks dry cell. In June a trip to Branson is in order where a lot of family members will be there, so I was wanting clear plastic end plates if there is one. This HHO will undoubtably become a conversation piece at some point. I searched the site and it seems most clear plastic is of the Lexan type, and prone to cracking.

Does anyone know of a good strong clear plastic that is good enough for dry cell use?

I made the cars dry cell end boards out of the Walmart cutting board (HDPE) and although its working well and doing the job, it is not perfectly flat (dimpled) and it did show slight warpage at the ends. Its working, but its thickness is questionable because of the warpage.

bigjim56

i used the cutting board as well. it leaked on me. then i sanded it flat with a dual action sander with 180 grit sandpaper and it sealed fine. using more holes/threaded rods might help a little on the warpage issue.

H2OPWR
04-17-2009, 11:44 AM

bigjim56

bigjim, They sell it here

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=21314&product%5Fid=10477

If you really want acrylic so you can see through it make sure and buy thick stuff around 1" or so and also the special plastic bits to drill it with. Do not drill acrylic with a normal bit. It will tend to chip and crack. Also make sure that the bit is turning fast (around 2500 to 3000 RPM's. Also make sure to use a wood backer so that when the bit pierces the opposite side it is drilling into wood. If you do all of those things and use thick stuff you should be ok. There are many better materials to use out there. I use UHMW because of the ease of working it as well as the strength. The problem is that you can not see through it. For 1" acrylic be prepared to spend some money.

Larry

bigjim56
04-17-2009, 12:12 PM
Thanks gashead/Larry,

I was looking at the US Plastic website and they have 1/2" thick 12" X 18" piece of cutting board type plastic for about $11.46 + shipping. The Walmart cutting board was not 1/2" in thickness, I'm sure. I believe it was about 1/4" or 3/8". The 1/2" will rest any fears of low strength end boards for me. It was nice how easy the Walmart board was to work with, uneven cuts eliminated very easily with a file, didn't like the dimples, but it sealed well with the shower pan liner gasket material.

I'm sitting on the fence right now, will take a day or 2 to decide. It would be nice to have the clear end boards, but it may not be worth the higher price and aggravation.

The warpage that I referred to on my first dry cell build was due to too many drill holes being used. When I tightened down the corner bolts, it pulled the board corners in. Being a thinner/weaker board it started bending. I've since eliminated these bolts and its working fine w/no leaks.

bigjim56

Blinger101
04-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Just go to your local plastics supply shop. There's a place called 'Plastic Works' here in Vancouver, I got my two 8" x 8" x 1/2" plates cut for a total of $5. And these are as crystal clear as you can get. Take a look:

http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/4175/0414091828.jpg

If you go local, you'll save a ton of money.

H2OPWR
04-17-2009, 03:06 PM
Thanks gashead/Larry,

I was looking at the US Plastic website and they have 1/2" thick 12" X 18" piece of cutting board type plastic for about $11.46 + shipping. The Walmart cutting board was not 1/2" in thickness, I'm sure. I believe it was about 1/4" or 3/8". The 1/2" will rest any fears of low strength end boards for me. It was nice how easy the Walmart board was to work with, uneven cuts eliminated very easily with a file, didn't like the dimples, but it sealed well with the shower pan liner gasket material.

I'm sitting on the fence right now, will take a day or 2 to decide. It would be nice to have the clear end boards, but it may not be worth the higher price and aggravation.

The warpage that I referred to on my first dry cell build was due to too many drill holes being used. When I tightened down the corner bolts, it pulled the board corners in. Being a thinner/weaker board it started bending. I've since eliminated these bolts and its working fine w/no leaks.

bigjim56

bigjim, I would go thicker than 1/2" if you are going to use HDPE (cutting board material. At lease 3/4" stuff. Even the 1/2" stuff will warp when tightened. Remember after your install you will need to retighten your bolts. Leaks will develop if they are not fairly tight. I used 1/2" HDPE and had alot of warping. 3/4" solved it.

Larry

Roland Jacques
04-17-2009, 05:30 PM
1/2 " cell cast acrylic will warp over time. 1" should last a good many years before you notice any warpage (unless your cell runs hot in my experience the hot/wet side expands bowing toward the heat and make the cell squeze a little)

bigjim56
04-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the inputs. Excellent looking plates blinger! I will make some local calls tomorrow. I found some local links from the yellow pages/google. That $5price tag will be very hard to beat.

I will get the 1" thickness,...with the trucks engine compartment, there's not a shortage of space problem.

I'll make sure and retighten the bolts Larry, I don't want any caustic spill trails.

Thanks again,

bigjim56