PDA

View Full Version : A good read - Why diesels benefit from HHO.

BoyntonStu
04-06-2009, 08:00 PM
Copied from Hydroxy:

The volume of an engine doesn't change with the throttle position. The amount of air/fuel that can be moved through a naturally aspirated engine is directly proportional to the engines RPM times displacement divided by 4. Low RPM equals small amount, high RPM equals large amounts, directly proportional.

Let us keep this simple by using a 302cc/5.0L engine. A 5.0L engine has a displacement of 5.0 Liters. Also remember this is a 4 stroke ICE. So it takes 4 cycles to move the 5 liters into and out of the engine. If the V8 idles at 1000 RPM, in one minute the engine moves 1250 Liters of air through the 5 Liter displacement (1000 times 5 divided by 4 equals 1250).

Now to the issue at hand. It seems some people are confusing engine displacement, amount of air moved, amount of air needed for combustion, amount of Hydroxy needed, running on only Hydroxy, and running on gasoline plus Hydroxy. Does one need 1250 Liters of Hydroxy to idle a V8 at 1000 RPM from the above numbers, NO. One needs the appropriate combustible amount of Hydroxy to equal an air/fuel ratio that will idle an ICE at 1000 RPMs. Gasoline is used from a liquid state that is vaporized and metered at 14.7:1 to make the motor idle. What is at issue is that Hydroxy is already in a vaporous form so it is going to take a whole lot more to do the same thing! And the Hydroxy is not under pressure as Propane is, so the comparisons end about there. Hydroxy is used more like Natural Gas which depends on volume and not pressure. Without any gasoline, it takes a huge amount of Hydroxy to idle a V6 or V8.

Now to look at what people can shoot for with available technology. Some are making 20LPM of Hydroxy and leaning out the engine to burn the Hydroxy with gasoline. By disabling or remapping the MAP, O2, and other senses to prevent the EFI Computer (or using an EFIE) from correcting and running rich so that a gasoline 28:1 AFR can be run (still actually around 18:1 with the added Hydroxy but we want the gas part at 28.1 to double GAS mileage), one can double ones milage on the highway. Note: Not city as your modern engine will over heat. Modern engines waste fuel to cool the motor (when was the last time you saw a car boil over) which is what the CAT is actually for, to burn the unburned fuel wasted to cool the engine.

Look at what the guys are doing with diesel trucks. They are making 40 to 60LPM with large numbers of plates with huge surface area and only improving mileage by reducing the amount of diesel needed mainly at idle and speeds under 20, but that is the market for the service trucks they go after. Basically they are doubling the amount of time the truck can work locally on the amount of diesel it used to use without the Hydroxy.

With current technology, it is NOT possible to run a V6 or V8 at highway speed on Hydroxy only. People can hardly get a lawnmower engine to run at more then a rough idle using brute force Hydroxy production. How in the world would you even think that somebody could drive down the road at highway speeds with current technology on Hydroxy only?

BoyntonStu

Dave Nowlin
04-06-2009, 08:30 PM
I'm not trying to run on HHO only. I simply want to supplement my diesel to get a little better mileage and cleaner combustion. With the EGR valve in our diesels one of the problems is carbon buildup. I hope to eliminate that carbon buildup or at least reduce it. I also hope to impove economy when under load pulling my fifth wheel trailer. I have now installed an EGT guage with the probe in the exhaust manifold pre-turbo. This is to monitor how the HHO effects EGTs. I have a toggle switch on the dash to turn off the cell should it cause EGTs to go high under load. I actually expect to get the opposite effect.

Dave Nowlin