PDA

View Full Version : Have an idea for a bubbler than will get rid of all or most of the kOH in the mist...

Tundra4x4
04-06-2009, 05:58 PM
ok i was at lowes thinking about building another bubbler to get rid of the KOH out of the gas. and i got a really good idea, well i think it is! lol ok i was thinking about passing the gas throw a carbon filled water purifier insert. I have one of these pitchers that uses a cylinder purifier that is filled with carbon that i could rig up inside of a pipe. am i right will this work? bc the carbon is in the filter because it is suppose to filter out any materials over than water. and since there is KOH in the gas this carbon will filter the carbon out. does it seem like it will work? I have a really good hunch that it will. I am in the process of getting the parts to make it, i already have filters bc i have the filters for my pitcher that i use to filter water. I will take pictures and show you with results once i am finished.....cross your fingers. give me your input on this idea...good or bad thanks

Roland Jacques
04-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Activated carbon is used in the aquarium trade and Water purification to remove both inorganic waste +... it does not remove many if any trace minerals ( calcium, salts, magnesium, potassium...) It great for VOCs and TOCs but maybe not so good for the electrolytes we use.

AC is also used to remove gases chlorine, solvents... it may actually even remove H2, but im not to sure about that.

It will allso create a good bit of backpressure

Tundra4x4
04-06-2009, 08:17 PM
it might not remove all of the KOH but it might remove some....some is better than none at all. If i get any decrease of mist then that is better than none.

Davehho1
04-08-2009, 07:36 AM
it might not remove all of the KOH but it might remove some....some is better than none at all. If i get any decrease of mist then that is better than none.

Give it a try , nothing ventured, nothing gained.,..

Just do before and after running a torch, look at the flame, whichever is the bluest is the best !

good luck

Tundra4x4
04-08-2009, 08:09 AM
Yeah i will get the supplies for it....bc the filter cleans out out smaller particles than the KOH. One way i am actually going to test to see if it does it to get a cup of water and put an certain amount of KOH in it. Then put on of my old wet cells in it and read the amps that it draws. then take that water and run it through the same filter that i am going to use and measure the amps after the filtration and if it is a decrease then it will help...right? let me know if that sounds like a good experiment?

Davehho1
04-08-2009, 08:25 AM
Yeah i will get the supplies for it....bc the filter cleans out out smaller particles than the KOH. One way i am actually going to test to see if it does it to get a cup of water and put an certain amount of KOH in it. Then put on of my old wet cells in it and read the amps that it draws. then take that water and run it through the same filter that i am going to use and measure the amps after the filtration and if it is a decrease then it will help...right? let me know if that sounds like a good experiment?

If you can , A PH test would tell the tale.

Ive had great success with a secondary bubbler/KOH scrubber, I get blue flames every time..

good luck

Tundra4x4
04-08-2009, 09:13 AM
i actually have a pH test for my fish tanks....how do i do a pH test? what readings?

Davehho1
04-08-2009, 09:46 AM
i actually have a pH test for my fish tanks....how do i do a pH test? what readings?

Should be a scale on the bottle of test paper.. All you really have to prove is if theres a change at all, one way or the other. That and you'll have to do output test on your cell to see if the carbon filter is restricting the HHO production.,. If h2o can pass thur, I don't see why the HHO gas would have any problems. I still think its better to use a seconday bubbler to collect the KOH carried thru, then recycle it back to your primary tank.

Whats it going to hurt ? Give it a try.

bigjim56
04-08-2009, 11:05 AM
Dave,

I did some pretty thorough tests using pH of the bubbler water at work. I'm a Midwest Water Treatment Plant Operator, with a full service potable water treatment lab upstairs. You can do a pH search or search my postings and read all about it.

Basicly I set up a dry cell that expells to the bottom of the electrolite reservoir, there the HHO expels to the bottom of a small bubbler containing deionized water (ph 7.0 - 7.3 neutral) to start. After about 24 hours of running the pH of the bubbler water rose to a 9.3, I believe, don't have my notes w/me. What this does show is that there is SLIGHT carryover from the HHO to the bubbler. This was a small bubbler, <500 mls. With a 3rd bubbler as a safety buffer I'm sure virtually no caustic HHO would make it into your intake. I'm tempted to run mine with just the one small bubbler and test/flush weekly/biweekly because I'm hurting for space in my engine compartment. If you have a truck (my next install project), there's a ton of room for a 3rd bubbler. The MK1/MK2 bubbler designs looks very efficient if you are hard pressed for space also.

I know what your talking about on the carbon filters...activated carbon is used to remove offensive tastes and odors from drinking water. It works so well because it has a HUGE surface area. If you was to look at it microscopically, its like a porous sponge with all kinds of nooks/crannies and caverns where the odors etc. get absorbed. As far as using it for an HHO filter...I'm stumped, it could work. But, as mentioned before...whatch the back pressure.

bigjim56

Tundra4x4
04-08-2009, 01:19 PM
ok so what do you mean back pressure? do you think that there will be pressure behind the filter bc its not flowing through easily enough? What till backpressure do? If i do this and have back pressure should i have a check value or flame resistor before after the filter so there wont be any flash backs?

bigjim56
04-08-2009, 02:07 PM
The back pressure is exactly why I'm staying away from the tube design flame arrestor. The way those are packed, it seems back pressure would be a problem. Maybe someone else can weigh in on this. I've not used one, but have seen youtube videos on fabrication and read threads about them.

I'm going with the plastic membrane for pressure relief instead. I want the HHO more free flowing. The more restrictions you put on it, the lower output you'll experience. It does get some inherant back pressure from having to overcome the head of the bubblers(S) volume since its expelled to the bottom of these bubbler(S).

The water4gas design with its minimal output has very low pressure, the dry cell has more pressure producing capabilites because it produces more. When I did the bubble flash test w/the W4G I had to prop the effluent hose in an upward direction for the gas to rise and inflate the soap solution. It did not respond well at all when I tried to send it in any direction other than up.

With the dry cell, I was able to route the HHO to a reservoir that was slightly higher than the dry cell, THEN to the bottom of a bubbler that was at the same level as the reservoir. In other words the dry cell produced enough pressure to overcome the head of the column of water in the bubbler, there's no way the W4G could do this. That's pressure. A column of water (bubbler) has gravity pressure that has to be overcome in order for anything to be expelled in the bottom of it. Sometimes its not much, but it's there.

One last example, if your going to inject a chemical into a 100 psi water line.
You have to overcome the 100 psi initial pressure before you have a chance of injecting anything. A pump with a 125 -200 psi output capability would do it.

bigjim56

bigjim56
04-08-2009, 03:18 PM
Injectors/eductors, been there, done that, use them almost every day.

My W4G design doesn't produce much at all like I said, that's why I built the dry cell. My 6 pack of w4g are of the smaller pint jars, they started off using the baking soda, and now I'm using NaOH and DI, scrubbed & wire brushed in between. I know they produce HHO because of the bubble flash tests. The pressure that they exult is miniscule compared to my dry cell experience.

I took the effluent hose from the w4g (all 6 cells) and laid it into a bowl of soap solution, and it couldn't overcome THAT head. The hose was up and sideways as best as I could w/o spilling the soap solution. I've did intense sealing of the cells, so the only way out is the effluent hose. I'm just not impressed w/w4g design at all. Of course its my first build, so if I was to do it again, I could build them much better. Its a stepping stone into the dry cell. Sure it wows everybody to see you blow up water bubbles, but for my needs, I want more.

bigjim56

Tundra4x4
04-08-2009, 06:57 PM
I just want to know if the carbon filter will work or might work in filter out the KOH in the mist. I think it will and i will give it a try and let yall know what i find out.