PDA

View Full Version : Power inverter

zachattack
04-04-2009, 11:21 AM
So I thought of this idea while laying in bed last night, let me know if i am wrong. We can use power inverters to run a laptop in our vehicles. So could we use a big power inverter to run a bigger cell with ac voltage and fewer amps to produce more lpm? While not putting such a load on the alt. In my mind it seems like it would work.

Ex: run a big cell lets say 50-100plates at 110-115v and 5-10amps to produce 10-12lpm. Now i have not even done the math or anything yet, to see if i am way off base. Just wanted to share my idea and see if anybody with more knowledge than me and give me any advice.

Zach

velorossa22
04-04-2009, 12:03 PM
I don't think it would work sorry. AC wouldn't work as well as DC for the generators and your wattage would still be the same just higher voltage and less current. So the alt load would remain the same. Plus the inverter would consume some power too in the conversion.
I've toyed with the idea of a 12v to 24v transformer to boost voltage to 24v for the cells, but I don't know if it would make much difference since we still want a voltage drop of 2V on each cell.

Painless
04-04-2009, 12:16 PM
AC voltage does not work at all for HHO generation, I've tried it, the fast polarity switching just results in 0 bubbles. Capacitors also do not work with AC, our HHO cells are acting like capacitors in that they store a charge, it's my guess that this is why AC does not work.

Rectification of AC to DC at a higher voltage is fine, you just need to make sure you are still staying near the ideal 2v per plate gap or waste heat will be generated.

H2OPWR
04-04-2009, 02:05 PM
So I thought of this idea while laying in bed last night, let me know if i am wrong. We can use power inverters to run a laptop in our vehicles. So could we use a big power inverter to run a bigger cell with ac voltage and fewer amps to produce more lpm? While not putting such a load on the alt. In my mind it seems like it would work.

Ex: run a big cell lets say 50-100plates at 110-115v and 5-10amps to produce 10-12lpm. Now i have not even done the math or anything yet, to see if i am way off base. Just wanted to share my idea and see if anybody with more knowledge than me and give me any advice.

Zach

Zack, ANY time you convert any type of power from one type to another you will have some waste in the form of heat. Your power cord that charges your cell phone is a prime example. It steps down 110 to 9 volts and rectifies it to dc. Just feel the convertor box and it will be hot. Unless there are some effeciency gains with your cell to be made by running any electrical device in addition to what you need it should be avoided. It all goes back to how much gasoline it takes to make the current. Running an invertor on your car to create AC will not lessen the load on the alternator because you must measure current not amps. 13.8 volts and 50 amps is 690 watts which would require just over 2 hp from your engine. The wattage is what takes the gasoline to make. 110 volts at 6.27 amps is also 690 watts. Both take the same amount of gasoline to make. The problem is that you will not get 690 watts back out of an invertor from the 690 watts of dc voltage. You will get something less back. Most are not even 90% effecient.

Hope this helps

Larry

zachattack
04-04-2009, 04:14 PM
Thanks guys very helpful.

Zach