PDA

View Full Version : Installing a HHO on a 2005 Civic Hybrid

mdmsupra
04-04-2009, 05:04 AM
I have been doing a lot of research on HHO over the last few months and am about to make the move to do this. A few questions though:

Would you guys recommend this on a hybrid car?

Technical Question
I hooked a volt meter up to the car, these generators seem to need to pull 15amps. My car is only producing 14.5-14.7 through the alternator. So do I need to add a power converter or another battery to sustain the amp draw? How does that work without it draining your cars battery?

How man cells/plates will I need to see a 10-15mpg difference like other people are getting with their cars?

alpha-dog
04-04-2009, 09:35 AM
What is you alternator rated at. You should be able to handle 15amps easily. I have a civic hybrid also, but since it gets 50mpg I never thought to mess with it. It already has a lean burn engine. How much Lpm are you thinking you need? When you hooked up a volt meter were you reading volts or do you have a current function that can read that many amps.
As far as how large your electrolyzer should be most people feel that 1Lpm for every liter of engine is a good starting point.

velorossa22
04-04-2009, 12:10 PM
Doesn't the gas motor on a hybrid only get used to power the batteries and not used for propulsion? If that's true running a generator on it would consume power that would be used for powering the batteries and would take longer. The idea on a regular car is the alt produces excess energy that is normally wasted. I wouldn't imagine a hybrid to waste any electrical energy.
But I could be totally wrong. So I encourage you to try it and see what happens.

H2OPWR
04-04-2009, 01:51 PM
The idea on a regular car is the alt produces excess energy that is normally wasted. I wouldn't imagine a hybrid to waste any electrical energy.
But I could be totally wrong. So I encourage you to try it and see what happens.

This is a common falisy. Your alternator does not produse any wasted electricity. The voltage regulator will only let the alternator produce the required electricity that your vehicle needs at any given time. It takes 1 HP from the engine for every 24 amps that your alternator produces to drive the HHO device. The 1 hp is made by using extra gasoline to turn the alternator. That is one of the reasons that why an effecient device is key. There is no free lunch here.

Larry

mdmsupra
04-04-2009, 08:02 PM
What is you alternator rated at. You should be able to handle 15amps easily. I have a civic hybrid also, but since it gets 50mpg I never thought to mess with it. It already has a lean burn engine. How much Lpm are you thinking you need? When you hooked up a volt meter were you reading volts or do you have a current function that can read that many amps.
As far as how large your electrolyzer should be most people feel that 1Lpm for every liter of engine is a good starting point.

I have seen those hyper milers upgrading the Prius and Insights 00-06's, to get 100mpg+, that requires fund of at least $3000-5000. I could get this done under $300. So assuming that people are able to get these cars to do more, why not assume that HHO would get more power and mpg out of a hybrid that already gets 50mpg. Since the engine is very efficient I would like it would love the extra HHO gas being injected and know just what to do with it...up the mpg!

mdmsupra
04-04-2009, 08:06 PM
Doesn't the gas motor on a hybrid only get used to power the batteries and not used for propulsion? If that's true running a generator on it would consume power that would be used for powering the batteries and would take longer. The idea on a regular car is the alt produces excess energy that is normally wasted. I wouldn't imagine a hybrid to waste any electrical energy.

The Integrated Motor Assist on Honda's drive train is much different than the Prius. The Civic and Insight is gas motor of 85hp assisted when necessary by the electric motor (during acceleration, rolling stops, slow moving mph). The Prius drive train is an electric motor assisted by a gas engine. Hence why they get better gas millage. The insight being the only exception since it gets better mpg than the prius.

mdmsupra
04-04-2009, 08:07 PM

So would a 4-6 cell system work just fine?

alpha-dog
04-05-2009, 12:10 AM
So would a 4-6 cell system work just fine?

I'm thinking that 13 plate electrolyzer with two stacks ( -NNNNN+NNNNN- ) configuration would work for you. You should get about 1.2 to 2 Lpm.
Next I thinks you need to consider are how you will tune you car for HHO. I recommend to get either and EGT or AFR gauge ( wideband ). I don't know if Honda uses o2's or AFR sensors, but be warned that people tend to over lean there engines. Also, you'll read about the ECU needing to re-learn HHO. It's been my feeling that the ECU only re-learns the offsets caused by the EFIE and other mods installed. Good luck on your project.
Russ

mdmsupra
04-05-2009, 05:31 AM
I'm thinking that 13 plate electrolyzer with two stacks ( -NNNNN+NNNNN- ) configuration would work for you. You should get about 1.2 to 2 Lpm.
Next I thinks you need to consider are how you will tune you car for HHO. I recommend to get either and EGT or AFR gauge ( wideband ). I don't know if Honda uses o2's or AFR sensors, but be warned that people tend to over lean there engines. Also, you'll read about the ECU needing to re-learn HHO. It's been my feeling that the ECU only re-learns the offsets caused by the EFIE and other mods installed. Good luck on your project.
Russ

I was doing some reading on the ECU system that you might have to use as well with a MAP sensor system. The map sensor system only works on about 60% of cars, correct? If that is the case I can do both. An ecu system should only cost about $60 if I am correct if I have a single cat-back system. So instead of a 8-10 plate system, 4-8 cells, I was thinking the same thing, about 13-14 plates, and doing a 7 cell system with two stacks ( -NNNNN+NNNNN- ).