PDA

View Full Version : Does the gas form HHO carry the elctrolyte?

Roland Jacques
03-24-2009, 09:28 PM
I know a couple of guys who had electrolyte corroded engine parts... now that we have cells that can stay under 120 degrees is this still a concern?

At what temp should that be a concern?

BoyntonStu
03-24-2009, 10:30 PM
I know a couple of guys who had electrolyte corroded engine parts... now that we have cells that can stay under 120 degrees is this still a concern?

At what temp should that be a concern?

Roland,

Ideally, the bubbler should neutralize the electrolyte.

Vinegar or citric acid (lemon juice) in a well designed bubbler could easily do the job.

I would not throw lye into my engine!

BoyntonStu

DodgeViper
03-25-2009, 07:28 PM
Roland,

Ideally, the bubbler should neutralize the electrolyte.

Vinegar or citric acid (lemon juice) in a well designed bubbler could easily do the job.

I would not throw lye into my engine!

BoyntonStu

BoytonStu,

Care to share your idea as to what and how the bubbler would function? I have issues of using KOH into my nearly all aluminum motor, so much so I am looking at other chemicals to try.

Keith

alpha-dog
03-25-2009, 07:52 PM
I know that lemon juice freezes at 14 degrees farenhiet. It may be a good choice for the bubbler.

Grasack
03-25-2009, 11:28 PM
Have you considered Pottassium Carbonate ?? Used to adjust ph in wine industry
Very gentle compared to KOH
Check out "myhydrogencar" on you tube, Second last video.
Has been trialling pottassium carbonate with good success

DodgeViper
03-26-2009, 12:54 AM
Have you considered Pottassium Carbonate ?? Used to adjust ph in wine industry
Very gentle compared to KOH
Check out "myhydrogencar" on you tube, Second last video.
Has been trialling pottassium carbonate with good success

Potassium carbonate is a white salt, soluble in water (insoluble in alcohol), which forms a strongly alkaline solution. It can be made as the product of potassium hydroxide's absorbent reaction with carbon dioxide. It is deliquescent, often appearing a damp or wet solid. Potassium carbonate is used in the production of soap and glass.

Today potassium carbonate is prepared commercially by the electrolysis of potassium chloride. The resulting potassium hydroxide is then carbonated using carbon dioxide to form potassium carbonate, which is often used to produce other potassium compounds.
2KOH + CO2 → K2CO3 + H2O

Applications

Pearl ash has been used for soap, glass, and china production.

Pearl ash added to hard water will soften the water.

In the laboratory, it may be used as a mild drying agent where other drying agents such as calcium chloride may be incompatible. However, it is not suitable for acidic compounds.

Mixed with water it causes an exothermic reaction that results in a temperature change, producing heat.
It is mixed with distilled water to make a safer electrolyte for oxyhdrogen production than potassium hydroxide, the more commonly used electrolyte.

In cuisine, it is used as an ingredient in the production of grass jelly, a food consumed in Chinese and Southeast Asian cuisines.

Potassium carbonate is being used as the electrolyte in many cold fusion experiments.

Potassium carbonate is sometimes used as a buffering agent in the production of mead or wine.

Aqueous potassium carbonate is also used as a fire suppressant in extinguishing deep fat fryers and various other B class related fires.

Potassium carbonate is used in reactions to maintain anhydrous conditions without reacting with the reactants and product formed.[citation needed] It may also be used to pre-dry some ketones, alcohols, and amines prior to distillation.

Grasack
03-26-2009, 05:09 AM
WoW DodgeViper thanks for that info. From that I think that you believe Pottassium carbonate is a probable safer eleyte than KOH??

I have my cell broken down at the moment and am waiting for some Pottassium carbonate from Peter James @ myhydrogencar

With the rebuilt cell I will use Pot. Carb. and check results and see if I can get an increase in my MMW from 6.5