PDA

View Full Version : Leaning motor?

OUScooby
03-22-2009, 02:42 AM
Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm new to HHO and still learning and gathering info.

So HHO is supposed to save gas my leaning out the motor, right? Well, running lean bad, leads to blown motors. Anyone blown a motor because of there system. And even if you don't blow, aren't you'll drastically reduce the life of you're engine.

It's one thing I just can't get past. HHO works by leaning motor, and leaning motor is bad, so can some explain why HHO is NOT bad for an engine. Or what is does to make leaning the motor OK?

Painless
03-22-2009, 09:44 AM
Saying that HHO works by leaning the motor is a little misleading. HHO does not lean your motor, it allows you to lean your motor.

What HHO does is increase the flame speed of gasoline, resulting in more gasoline than the usual 18 to 20 % being burnt at a time where it can contribute to pushing the piston down. HHO also turns back into water when combusted and absorbs some of the heat in the chamber.

Its possible to get MPG gains without leaning, however, most modern computerised vehicles will detect the more complete burn and richen the A/F mixture.

The first stage of leaning is to counteract the above.

The second stage of leaning further is to increase MPG gains taking advantage of the cooler combustion process.

Performing the above type of leaning without HHO will result in increased cylinder temps, poor performance and engine damage. The extra power and cooling the HHO adds to the mix allows leaning to be done safely.

Despite the above, investing approximately $100 on an EGT gauge is your best protection against taking leaning too far.

Hope this helps!

Russ.

OUScooby
03-22-2009, 06:06 PM
Its possible to get MPG gains without leaning, however, most modern computerised vehicles will detect the more complete burn and richen the A/F mixture.

The first stage of leaning is to counteract the above.

So if you don't counteract this and let the A/F ratio richen, and the HHO allows for the extra fuel to be burnt, this could be a useful power adder, assuming you find the balance between richer A/F ratio and HHO to make sure the extra fuel is used, right? What sort of bhp gains could this create?

Upgrade the fuel pump and get larger injectors and there could really be something to this. It seems that most people here are using these systems for fuel economy, but anyone using it for purely performance reasons?

Painless
03-22-2009, 06:23 PM
I couldn't tell you about the kind of gains you would get, that's a wide formula I would guess.

You would probably do better to simply use HHO and bring the mixture back to 14.7:1. You are burning more in the chamber, but still nowhere near 100% I would guess.

Russ.