PDA

View Full Version : electrode design

M34me
03-20-2009, 05:17 PM
Hey,
New here. Just fishing around a bit and am noticing that most of you are using plate style electrodes instead of wire coil designs. I would assume it's because they work better. Would I be assuming right?

Me and a few guys at work are planning on doing this, but I'd like to learn as much as I can first so as to minimize experimentation.

Painless
03-20-2009, 05:31 PM
Plate electrodes definitely work better than wire coil designs. The following points are the most important for efficient electrolysis:

Surface Area
Consistent gaps between + and -
Ideal (2v) voltage per plate gap or pair

Wire coil designs tend to be simply two coils with 12v+ connected from the automobiles electrical system. This results in 2v for electrolysis and 10v for heat generation, thermal runaway is not a good thing. In addition, wire coils do not allow you to employ much surface area in comparison to plates.

For a good primer on generating HHO I recommend you visit my website (link in my signature) and read the 'HHO Beginners Class' and 'HHO Safety' articles. From there, you can move on to the other articles (left hand navigator) which will give you a good overview of what's important in cell design.

Hope this helps.

Russ.