PDA

View Full Version : Max Amps

harabsnyder
03-19-2009, 08:20 PM
I was reading some posts and SSC (Scarecrow somthing) said that the max, more or less came to divide total sq/in by 4 and then divide that by 12v(for car) and that gives the max amperage for the cell. Which gives a 6x6 max amperage of 18. I just wanted to make sure my numbers were correct. I found the max of an 8x8 to be 32 amps.

Painless
03-19-2009, 08:46 PM
For the best efficiency and stability of temperature you need to use the 4 sq inches per watt of power rule. Watts, as you may or may not know, is amps X volts.

Russ.

mytoyotasucks
03-19-2009, 09:36 PM
For the best efficiency and stability of temperature you need to use the 4 sq inches per watt of power rule. Watts, as you may or may not know, is amps X volts.

Russ.

ok when figuring out how many sq " you have in the cell, do you count both sides of the plate that has electrolye on it?

Painless
03-19-2009, 10:07 PM
Yes you count both sides with the exception of the end plates. A 36 plate generator when counting you would be counting a total of 35 plates, but you do not count the area the gaskets take up or the holes in the plates.

What he said.

DodgeViper
03-20-2009, 07:51 AM
ok when figuring out how many sq " you have in the cell, do you count both sides of the plate that has electrolye on it?

Yes you count both sides with the exception of the end plates. A 36 plate generator when counting you would be counting a total of 35 full plates, but you do not count the area the gaskets take up or the holes in the plates. This would be 34 full plates plus ½ of each end plate for a total of 35 plates.

I have an 8" x 8" x 36 plate generator. The gaskets are 1/2" wide. This makes my plates that come in contact with the electrolyte 7" x 7" or 49 square inches.

49 sq. inches x 2 for both sides = 98 square inches per plate x 35 full plates for a total of 3430 square inches less the hole sizes that come in contact with the electrolyte provided that the plates are completely covered in electrolyte. The best that I can figure I am losing about 52 square inches due to the holes in the plates, for a total of 3378 total surface square inches.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/8/14/1347686/8x8%20Plate.png