PDA

View Full Version : Freezing problem

Tundra4x4
03-14-2009, 02:15 PM
Ok my freeze season is almost over but i want to know if i would put windshield wiper fluid in my bubbler to prevent freezing? is so how much do i need? does it effect anything when it goes through the drycell? what is all the possible things i could use to prevent freezing?

H2OPWR
03-14-2009, 02:25 PM
Ok my freeze season is almost over but i want to know if i would put windshield wiper fluid in my bubbler to prevent freezing? is so how much do i need? does it effect anything when it goes through the drycell? what is all the possible things i could use to prevent freezing?

Your bubbler water should never go through your cell unless you are using the resevoir as a bubbler. Windshield washer fluid will work in a stand alone bubbler but I would not let it into your cell. A strong solution of KOH and distilled water will prevent freeze up in most climates. I have had a gallon of water with three cups KOH sitting outside for the last month or so. It has been as cold as 5 below zero F and not one ice crystal has formed in the water ever. You will need a PWM to run that strong of an electrolite.

Larry

Tundra4x4
10-20-2009, 04:54 PM
sorry to begin this thread back up, but if i but denatured alochol in my resisvor (which it does pass through my cell) will that work to prevent from freezing? If so, what amount should i use? Will it hurt anything, my cell or me or so forth?

H2OPWR
10-23-2009, 11:04 AM
sorry to begin this thread back up, but if i but denatured alochol in my resisvor (which it does pass through my cell) will that work to prevent from freezing? If so, what amount should i use? Will it hurt anything, my cell or me or so forth?

Do not allow the alcohol to pass through your cell. I have tried that and production goes way down. Isopropyl Alcohol in your bubbler at a 25% mix ratio will stop freezing in the bubbler but a check valve must be in line to stop the water from returning to your cell. KOH at 28% by weight will also totally prevent cell freeze up. I ran one all last winter with no issues at all that way.

Larry

hhonewbie
10-23-2009, 03:27 PM
Do not allow the alcohol to pass through your cell. I have tried that and production goes way down.

I dont understand how alcohol can reduce HHO production?

H2OPWR
10-23-2009, 03:41 PM
I dont understand how alcohol can reduce HHO production?

I live in Alaska so have had to try everything to stop freezing. Alcohol was the first thing I tried. My effeciency dropped by 25% when adding alcohol. I can only guess why but my best guess is that the alcohol only provides electrical resistance and no HHO. Anything that increases effeciency will lower effeciency period.

Larry