PDA

View Full Version : F250 6.0L Diesel

zachattack
03-13-2009, 12:42 AM
I was curious if any one is making, selling, or knows of a good dry cell the purchase to put onto a F250 6.0L diesel? My first 4 gens were wet cell and I did not use KOH so production was not enough. I also really like the dry cell design a lot better. I can build a wet cell, but making a dry cell is a little beyond me right now. Was wanting to purchase one to use if big enough/making enough...etc. Also, any diesel guys out there that have seen gains and what type of amperage are you pulling?

Advice greatly needed and appreciated.

Thanks Zach

Dave Nowlin
03-13-2009, 01:36 AM
I definitely believe gains are possible but the first investment you will have to make is in a bigger alternator. You will have to pull at least 40 amps. In fact you might have to pull more. You will also need a PWM, a dry cell, a reservior, a scrubber and a bubbler. You'll need at least 4 gauge wire to power the cell and a 80 amp Isolator/Relay to power it up. That is the short list to get started. I'm already traveling the road you are considering. I drive an 06 F250 King Ranch. One other benefit you will see is the power curve flatten a bit more as the turbo ramps up in addition to cleaner engine and exhaust.

Dave Nowlin

zachattack
03-13-2009, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the info. Dave. I have already made a reservior and bubbler. But will need to pick up a pwm, dry cell, and figure out how to make a scrubber.

Wow, I definitely need to use bigger wire and I figured that I might have to get a High out put alternator. If you know of a good place to pick one up please let me know. None of the aftermarket stores around me carry them and I haven't called ford in fear of the price.

Zach

Dave Nowlin
03-13-2009, 12:25 PM
I got mine from Nations Starter & Alternator. You can find them on the web. Mine is made for the Ford 6.0 and is 190 amp.

Dave Nowlin

zachattack
03-13-2009, 01:00 PM
Thanks again Dave. That is really helpful. Out of 10 part stores I was only able to find a 135amp. Which isn't a big gain from the 110amp that is on my Ford 6.0 now. I'll do some checking on the web and also at the company you mentioned.

Zach

zachattack
03-13-2009, 03:41 PM
Dave, once again thanks for the info about the alt. Looked through the site and called the folks, they were very helpful. I will be buying the 190amp alt today or monday. I'm wondering if you can recommend a good pwm? I saw one on www.hydrogenboostnow.com. It is 80amps continuous and 120 peak I believe. But seems a little expensive, not sure if it is really. Considering everything else for a diesel cost a little bit more.

On another note a year ago I Installed a 4" down pipe with 5" exhaust, air intake system, bigger intake neck, and a programmer. I went from 10mpg mixed driving to 16.5-17.5 mixed driving. Just looking to see if I can hit the 20-25 mark or so eventually.

Zach

Dave Nowlin
03-13-2009, 04:15 PM
I ordered mine from Shane Jackson. He is a member of this forum and is very honest and helpful.

Dave Nowlin

zachattack
03-13-2009, 07:53 PM
Is it better two use one big dry cell for the 6.0L diesel or two cells combined in series?

Dave Nowlin
03-13-2009, 08:13 PM
I don't have the answer to that yet. People speculate that you need 1 l.p.m. per liter of engine displacement. The truth is no one knows. A diesel is a higher compression engine than a gas burner so it may respond differently. I'm pretty sure that there is a certain amount that will yield best performance. I believe if you use too much or too little you will have less than optimum performance. That's why I ordered a PWM from Shane. I want the ability to calibrate my output with the PWM and find out where I achieve greatest efficiency. I've got a sneaking suspicion that with a diesel it will take less than people think. On nice thing is you don't have to try and defeat an 02 sensor and if you inject the HHO just inches away from the turbo as I have done, you won't have to worry about the air flow sensor. I do have to wonder though if you won't have to remove your programmer. I have a programmer but am running stock at present. I will first seek optimum performance stock then add my 50 HP program, then later the 75 HP to find optimum operating parameters. If you have an SCT and someone with a dyno to write custom tunes for you, you could actually then have your trucks fueling curve optimized for the HHO. It just depends on how much money you want to throw at a solution. Do keep in mind your head bolts. While some have had absolutely no trouble with them, others have had them stretch and blown head gaskets while searching for more power. I'm searching for more efficiency and a better power curve with reduced emmissions far more than I am searching for just horsepower.

Dave Nowlin

zachattack
03-13-2009, 09:30 PM
I have heard about the head bolts and have seen first hand what happens when people are going power crazy. I have been going for better fuel economy only, but along with that process have noticed a large difference in horse power and torque gain. Not from using a dyno or anything just from feeling the difference when pulling trailers and when accelerating. Once you figure out a good set up with your system with or without your programmer being used please let me know. Not to be intrusive but would like to use same set up as you, if works well for you. I know it will take time for you to work it all out. As it will take time for me to save for a good alt, pwm, and cell. I don't want to be a copy cat or anything just know that we have similar trucks.

Thanks again Dave for all the insight. I'm sure I'll be seeking advice from you a lot more.

Zach

zachattack
03-13-2009, 09:54 PM
I was also wondering if you have heard much or anything about the fitch fuel catalyst? www.fitchfuelcatalyst.com. This is the sight and claims to give a 1-2.5mpg increase by just connecting it inline with the fuel system. It does have a good waranty, I just don't know if it is good. I do have a friend doing something similar by putting a copper tube inline with the fuel system is seeing 1-4mpg gain. But he hasn't had it on long enough for me to try it yet.

Dave Nowlin
03-13-2009, 11:43 PM
What's so good about the warranty. They guarantee to replace or repair the unit you are dissatisfied with. They don't promise you your money back if it doesn't perform as promised. I don't see it as a good deal at all.

Dave Nowlin

zachattack
03-14-2009, 08:46 AM
My apologies, I found that site fairly late at night and didn't completely read everything just quick skimmed it. I went back and read it this am, and then saw your response. Your are correct it's not a good deal.

BoyntonStu
03-14-2009, 09:14 AM
I was also wondering if you have heard much or anything about the fitch fuel catalyst? www.fitchfuelcatalyst.com. This is the sight and claims to give a 1-2.5mpg increase by just connecting it inline with the fuel system. It does have a good waranty, I just don't know if it is good. I do have a friend doing something similar by putting a copper tube inline with the fuel system is seeing 1-4mpg gain. But he hasn't had it on long enough for me to try it yet.

It works as well if you just carry it in the trunk.

I warranty it.

BoyntonStu