PDA

View Full Version : Gas prices down, but experts say it won't last

Gary Diamond
03-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Gas prices down, but experts say it won't last
By Ramona Turner
Posted: 03/11/2009 01:30:00 AM PDT

San Francisco -- Gas prices in the Santa Cruz area are down 9 cents from last month to an average of $2.13 per gallon, according to a study released Tuesday by the AAA of Northern California.

But don't get used to it, said AAA spokesman Matt Skryja. Higher gas prices may be just around the corner.

"The recent fall in gas prices will likely be short-lived, due in part to refiners switching to warm weather gasoline blends and a shake-up over the world oil supply," he said.

An official with the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, or OPEC, has hinted that oil production could be cut further, Skryja said.

The 12 OPEC members produce about 35 percent of the world's oil. They'll meet Sunday to discuss additional reductions. Since September, the organization worked to limit oil production by 4.2 million barrels daily. More cuts indicate another attempt to make oil prices jump, he said.

Motorist Greg Larson of Santa Cruz is not phased by fuel costs.

"It doesn't matter much to us," said the former Santa Cruz planning director, who now works in Los Gatos. "We have two Priuses and carpool a couple of days a week. I've made it over the hill with 50 or more miles per gallon."

Gas prices across the state are down an average of 3 cents at $2.20 per gallon, compared to a penny jump seen in the price of gas nationwide, AAA reported. The national average is $1.94 per gallon.

In the Golden State, the cheapest gas can be

found in Tracy, at $2.08 per gallon, down 10 cent from last month, the organization reported. The most expensive gas is in Tahoe City, at $2.60 per gallon, a drop of 8 cents in the same time period.

alpha-dog
03-11-2009, 12:52 PM
I'm thinking about buying a few shares of the ETF DIG. Its expected that oil will be going over $55.00 a barrel soon.

Gary Diamond
03-11-2009, 01:36 PM
I'm thinking about buying a few shares of the ETF DIG. Its expected that oil will be going over $55.00 a barrel soon.

Buy CVX its $61 now was last june at $120