PDA

View Full Version : question

xrxfxr
02-25-2009, 10:03 AM
been looken into maken a dry cell but i've seen 2 schools of thought and not sure if there are any advantages or disadvantages. i've seen some with holes in the plates and i've seen where the screws are outside of the plates. why for either is my question. i can see the the screws on the outside being easier and cheaper but was wondering what the pro's and con's.

xrxfxr
02-25-2009, 11:01 AM
are there any fall back to puting them on the inside other than a crap load of more work. i can see it being easier for allinement but it could allso be done with nylon sleaves around bolts on the outside of the plates to hold the plates in place. thanks for the input shane

Dave Nowlin
02-25-2009, 11:35 AM
On the bench there probably is no difference. In a vehicle, I would rather have holes in the plates and bolts with very tight fitting plastic tubing. The torque of the bolts isn't attempting to twist the end plates and miles and miles of driving and the attendant vibration that goes with that can't cause the plates to shift or move at all. These end plates are subjected to more forces than many consider. They are subjected to thermal expansion and contraction as well as all the vibration, this says nothing about variations of temperature of the ambient air in which these cells must perform. Around here that can go from 12 degrees to 100 degrees or more in a typical year.

Dave Nowlin

H2OPWR
02-25-2009, 12:07 PM
are there any fall back to puting them on the inside other than a crap load of more work. i can see it being easier for allinement but it could allso be done with nylon sleaves around bolts on the outside of the plates to hold the plates in place. thanks for the input shane

I would guess that both have their advantages and disadvantages. As for having bolt holes in the plates the advantagees would be that it would be easier to torque the plates eavenly and the end plates could be thinner and of softer material as there would be no way to warp the plates. Also assemply would be more precise. As I see it the disadvantages are first a more expensive plate. Those holes do not come free and you have to start with bigger material to get the same surface area. Second the gaskets would be much harder to make by hand. Getting all those holes in the perfect spot would be very difficult without having them professionally cut. The gasket would also have to be wider to seal the cell and still have the bolt holes. Third and to me the reason I decided to put the bolts on the outside is that I worry about the sleave that has to be around the bolt to protect from shorting actually wearing through and shorting the cell. Plus having the bolts on the outside simplifies the design. Both are good and both have advantages. In the end it will be personal choice.

Larry