PDA

View Full Version : Highschoolers Senior Project

redneckgearhead34
02-24-2009, 08:22 PM
Hello to all my old friends on here. It has been a while since I have read anything at all from this forum. I must say it is a pleasure to be back.

Now to cut to the chase, if any of you have ever lived in NC you may know all seniors that plan to graduate high school must complete a graduation project. This graduation consists of a research paper and some sort of product that relates back to your research paper.

I chose to research ways to improve the fuel economy of existing vehicles. While I was researching I came across the concept of HHO, I have tried building a few generators but none with any success do to lack of time. I was going to make another attempt at a HHO generator for my product but I came across another I idea I though would be simpler and maybe a little more realistic considering I only have approx. 2 months to complete my project.

I was going to build a device that injects a small amount of water into my engine hopefully positively affecting my fuel economy. I will have more details in a few days but right know I would like to explain my general idea so I can get opinions from people that may know more about this stuff than I do.

Ok so, I am going to start with a small electric water pump, one that comes off a herbicide sprayer. Also of course have a reservoir that hold my water. Then have a fuel injector that is controlled by some sort of timer circuit, I was thinking a controller for a strobe light, this would spray a mist of water into the throttle body of my 1994 Nissan 2.4L hardbody truck.

Thanks for reading, can I get your opinion?

redneck323
02-24-2009, 08:40 PM
Hey nice screen name HA HA. Any way i bet lots of the kids at school... NO most people! dont know that you can turn water into such an explosive mixture of gas. I am not trying to turn you from your current plan but i built my first (and only right now) cell for less than 50$, some scavenging time and a few hours of labor. I built a -+-+-+- wet cell from lowes and i havn't been able to reconfirm this but i got 4 mpg gains on my first test run. I wasnt able to reconfirm this due to thermal runaway burning up my wiring. Times are tough but you can with a good imagination build a pretty cool wet cell for your project (which is by no means the way to go for long term) for not too much and have the pleasure of filling a SMALL!!! balloon and exploding it. Showing that you can explode water. Pretty cool!!! anyhow if you choose the other good luck as i have heard many positive thing about water injection but have no ground to base them on, either way have FUN!

Painless
02-24-2009, 10:19 PM
Good to see you back! I'd been wondering what had happened to you.

I'm experimenting with WI at the moment too, I've got a whole bunch of links you'd be interested in but can't send them until I get to work tomorrow as my home PC isn't working right now.

Russ.

Gary Diamond
02-24-2009, 11:39 PM
Hey nice screen name HA HA. Any way i bet lots of the kids at school... NO most people! dont know that you can turn water into such an explosive mixture of gas. I am not trying to turn you from your current plan but i built my first (and only right now) cell for less than 50$, some scavenging time and a few hours of labor. I built a -+-+-+- wet cell from lowes and i havn't been able to reconfirm this but i got 4 mpg gains on my first test run. I wasnt able to reconfirm this due to thermal runaway burning up my wiring. Times are tough but you can with a good imagination build a pretty cool wet cell for your project (which is by no means the way to go for long term) for not too much and have the pleasure of filling a SMALL!!! balloon and exploding it. Showing that you can explode water. Pretty cool!!! anyhow if you choose the other good luck as i have heard many positive thing about water injection but have no ground to base them on, either way have FUN!

I agree for show and tell getting a big bang from water would impress everyone but do it safe read up on it you can get hurt in a big way, but NO ONE in your class will forget you that's for sure

I would say make a simple one from wall plates don't worry how well it works you will still make a big bang perhaps someone on this forum lives near you and would be happy to give their old wet cell

AND THIS MUST BE DONE OUTSIDE AND YOU MUST WEAR SAFTY GLASSES GOOD LUCK

VanHalen
02-25-2009, 12:53 AM
I have to do a senior project two, although not until next year. Your plan sounds fine, but I have to agree with them, making water explode would be an awesome demo. I was planning on doing some kind of HHO experiment for my project, since I'll already have the cell and plenty of research data.

protecheqp
02-25-2009, 10:36 AM
Thanks for opening another idea . this water injection sounds good and from what i found on Google there is a lot of information about it.

redneckgearhead34
02-25-2009, 06:44 PM
Thanks for all the great input guys. I would love to do the explosion in the classroom but I am not sure my principal would approve of that and not to mention a few of the dangers that go along with that.

As for now I am going to stick with water injection. I will have some parts rounded up this weekend so I can post pictures of them. I think I found a water pump like I need. I might get my parents to help out with some of the cost lol.

Here is the link for it. Tell me what you think.\

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_357081_357081

Painless
02-25-2009, 06:46 PM
You might find these links have interesting info:

http://www.turbomirage.com/water-alcohol-injection-parts-list.html

http://flapdoodledinghy.com/H2O_injection.html

http://www.dave-cushman.net/misc/mannject.html

redneckgearhead34
02-25-2009, 07:06 PM
Painless,

Thank you for the links. I have read through them all and I like like some of the ideas that they have.

Van Halen,
Its cool to have another kid workin on somethin like this. My buddy and I have had tons of fun workin on it.

Q-Hack!
02-26-2009, 12:35 AM
Ya, explosions in the classroom are probably a bad idea. However, you could do a simple torch experiment. You still get to dabble in fire, without causing heart attacks.

You could even melt various metals with relative safety. And best of all, no smoke.

redneckgearhead34
05-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Ok so I am back again lol I have been fairly busy with school and etc. but never the less here are the results from my water injection testing.

Vehicle: 1994 Nissan Pickup 2.4L manual tranny

Drove 65mpg over a 75 mile loop, no a/c, windows down, no cruise(sorry basic interior lol)

Flow rate: 1/2 gph

Test loop without water injection: 24.19mpg

Test loop with water inection: 28.85mpg

That is a 19.23% increase in mpg. I can say that is perty good. It cost me about 66 dollars to build it. btw I got a 98 on my in class presentation!! Noe all I have to do is impress the judges

cybergasm
05-15-2009, 12:19 AM
Ok so I am back again lol I have been fairly busy with school and etc. but never the less here are the results from my water injection testing.

Vehicle: 1994 Nissan Pickup 2.4L manual tranny

Drove 65mpg over a 75 mile loop, no a/c, windows down, no cruise(sorry basic interior lol)

Flow rate: 1/2 gph

Test loop without water injection: 24.19mpg

Test loop with water inection: 28.85mpg

That is a 19.23% increase in mpg. I can say that is perty good. It cost me about 66 dollars to build it. btw I got a 98 on my in class presentation!! Noe all I have to do is impress the judges

Wow, I know it may be weird but I am a sophomore at Garner Senior High School. I actually just did the graduation project and successfully passed it by using a wet cell as my product. Berebe was one of the judges and he was pretty interested in the whole subject. MYP Personal Project sucks... I was 1 out of the 3 people in my English II (honors) class with Ms. Ziolek that passed.

P.S. I hope the judges take it easy on you.

truckman1966
05-15-2009, 02:08 AM
pretty cool. pretty cool. redneck (not redneckgearhead) your heat problem is because you are running no neutrals. just had to throw that out there. and redneckgearhead, a common misconception, but your 94 nissan is not a hardbody. that term is used to refer to the PL720 chassis that was made up until 1986.5 when they started making your bodystyle (D21 chassis). sorry. just my 2 cents. (i'm a big nissan fan)

Q-Hack!
05-15-2009, 03:16 AM
and redneckgearhead, a common misconception, but your 94 nissan is not a hardbody. that term is used to refer to the PL720 chassis that was made up until 1986.5 when they started making your bodystyle (D21 chassis). sorry. just my 2 cents. (i'm a big nissan fan)

Not sure where you are getting your information from?!? Yes, the D21 chassis is the continuation of the Hardbody line of trucks from Nissan (at least here in the US). I also owned a 94 Hardbody 2.4L 4X4. I purchased it brand new from the dealer. It even had the name 'Hardbody 4X4' written in big gold letters down the side of the bed as part of the decal package. If I recall correctly, the Hardbody line was discontinued in 1997, though I think you can still get a new D21 chassis in other parts of the world. Wish I still had that truck, it was a lot of fun.