PDA

View Full Version : catalytic converters

Gtech
02-21-2009, 08:12 PM
Does any of this HHO stuff have an adverse effect on catalytic converters? I am thinking of the baking soda solution in paticular.
I have read that certain additives in engine oil which is not intentionally injected into the combustion chamber shorten converter life. Got me thinking about the gas that is being put into the engine from HHO systems???

Q-Hack!
02-21-2009, 09:07 PM
Does any of this HHO stuff have an adverse effect on catalytic converters? I am thinking of the baking soda solution in paticular.
I have read that certain additives in engine oil which is not intentionally injected into the combustion chamber shorten converter life. Got me thinking about the gas that is being put into the engine from HHO systems???

Baking soda eventually becomes lye (NaOH) during the electrolysis process. Best to keep it out of your engine alltogether.

Gtech
02-22-2009, 06:02 PM
Thanks Q-Hack!,
What would you suggest?

bigjim56
02-23-2009, 05:01 PM
As far as your second question, most here use at least a bubbler and a reservoir of which one acts as a scrubber of sorts that is very effective in "washing" the remnants of any catalyst left in the gas vapors.

Keeping the cell temperature from higher operating temps. (no > 130 F) helps immensly in the fact that its less likely to get carrried over in the steam. See the Painless threads and the small link at the bottom for the HK2, a well thought out and successful bubbler/cleanser unit that can be easily duplicated.

Baking soda is frowned upon here, it leads to the rust blooms and deteriorates the plates (or wire). KOH has recieved the most votes as the best catalyst, with NaOH coming in second. NaOH is much easier to get, while KOH takes more effort. Use the catalyst section to get links to where people here get theirs. Both of these will be a MUCH CLEANER and better performing catalyst than baking soda.

Hope this helps,

bigjim56

alpha-dog
02-23-2009, 06:37 PM

The extra oxygen may cause some problems with your catalytic converter that's why some poeple get post cat o2 trouble codes.

redneck323
02-23-2009, 07:56 PM
Platinum and palladium convert carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide. It converts the hydrocarbons into carbon dioxide and water. It also converts the nitrogen oxides back into nitrogen and oxygen. How it does this i haven't an idea and it would probably take a book to explain and i did cut and paste that LOL. However i do know that a rich mixture is the death of a converter as they get REAL hot but i havent ever seen a Cat get hurt from a lean mixture which is what ya get with the HHO

Q-Hack!
02-23-2009, 10:55 PM
There are many different setups for keeping the electrolyte out of your engine.

My current setup is a bubble/reservoir that keeps my HHO generator full of electrolyte. I then run the HHO into a drying tower. I used to run vinegar in it, but kept sucking the vinegar back into the bubbler when the engine cooled down. The drying tower is just like another bubbler, but without any electrolyte standing in it. As it fills up I dump the excess back into the bubbler. So far my HHO is running dry to the engine, but it does require personal intervention about once a week. To check my HHO, I use one of the grease absorbing napkins from KFC. If there is any splatter at the output tube, you will see it darken the napkin.

I am thinking about sticking a napkin inside one of those clear plastic water separator devices for pneumatic tools. Then if any liquid gets past my drying tower, I would see it with a quick glance under the hood. I have also given consideration to using desiccant to dry the HHO. Not sure how long it would hold up to electrolyte though.

Q-Hack!
02-23-2009, 11:03 PM
Platinum and palladium convert carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide. It converts the hydrocarbons into carbon dioxide and water. It also converts the nitrogen oxides back into nitrogen and oxygen. How it does this i haven't an idea and it would probably take a book to explain and i did cut and paste that LOL. However i do know that a rich mixture is the death of a converter as they get REAL hot but i havent ever seen a Cat get hurt from a lean mixture which is what ya get with the HHO

I myself am no expert on catalytic converters, but I do know that if you run your engine lean, there is not enough fuel in the exhaust to allow the catalytic converter to burn the excess fuel that doesn't get burned in the engine. At what point the fuel mixture becomes too lean is anybody's guess. However, if you get a full burn with the HHO then your emissions shouldn't increase. In theory you could then do away with the cat completely. (I wouldn't recommend trying this in California though)

Gary Diamond
02-23-2009, 11:27 PM
I myself am no expert on catalytic converters, but I do know that if you run your engine lean, there is not enough fuel in the exhaust to allow the catalytic converter to burn the excess fuel that doesn't get burned in the engine. At what point the fuel mixture becomes too lean is anybody's guess. However, if you get a full burn with the HHO then your emissions shouldn't increase. In theory you could then do away with the cat completely. (I wouldn't recommend trying this in California though)

Now that would be fun run on HHO and bypass the catalytic converter if the car passes Have a small tv station do a story on that. Should give HHO a boost in the right direction