PDA

View Full Version : Smacks design questions

Gtech
02-21-2009, 07:32 PM
Hey guys,
I am kinda new at this. I read some of the Posts and I can tell that there are some real experienced and knowledgable here.
I wanted to make a W4G type, then I saw smack's design. I thought wow that would be easier.
It stated that I was not to use baking soda and water. Anyone experienced in that? I am making the system for an elderly couple, I want a safe system. Don't want to be messing around with all the other chemicals.
Also, in Smacks design it has a bubbler. Good idea, how does that work in the frozen north? I can see the generator getting warm and melting the water, but the bubbler is outside the generator and not heated. Any input on that one?
All input is appreciated.
Also, if there is a better design I would appreciate a link. I want it easy to make and use.

Thanks in advance

Gtech:cool:

H2OPWR
02-21-2009, 09:45 PM
Hey guys,
I am kinda new at this. I read some of the Posts and I can tell that there are some real experienced and knowledgable here.
I wanted to make a W4G type, then I saw smack's design. I thought wow that would be easier.
It stated that I was not to use baking soda and water. Anyone experienced in that? I am making the system for an elderly couple, I want a safe system. Don't want to be messing around with all the other chemicals.
Also, in Smacks design it has a bubbler. Good idea, how does that work in the frozen north? I can see the generator getting warm and melting the water, but the bubbler is outside the generator and not heated. Any input on that one?
Also, if there is a better design I would appreciate a link. I want it easy to make and use.

Thanks in advance

In the Frozen North you must keep all the fluids from freezing. A good windshield washer fluid works great in the bubbler. Do not use baking soda. It really messes with the plates. The Smack design is fine. As are most properly designed dry cell's. KOH is best as an electrolite but caution must be used as it will burn your skin if it is in strong conce,trations. You must also keep your cell from freezing. A concentration of 20% KOH in distilled water by weight will protect you at least into the teens. Below that add Isopropyl Alcohol up to 20% in your electrolite. It will hamper effeciency's some but is necessary.

The last piece of advice I have is that NO device is real easy to make and use. They all have issues here and there. It is fun and rewarding but take time to do some research.

Larry

BoyntonStu
02-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Hey guys,

Thanks in advance

Snapple Reservoir/Bubbler/Cooler/Leak Detector/Heater

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q339/BoyntonStu/ReservoirBubbler2-19-09.jpg

Good Luck,

BoyntonStu

Gtech
02-22-2009, 06:00 PM
Thanks Guys,
So Larry, water and baking soda is out eh? not very efficient?
BoynStu, I don't really see a heater in there. Are the bottles sitting on it?

BoyntonStu
02-22-2009, 06:07 PM
Thanks Guys,

The 20 oz Snapple bottles are sitting in a 6 quart container.

An immersion heater can be easily added, either a plug-in 110 VAC or a 12 Volt 2 Amp unit.

A safety switch/relay would cut the heater off (or just unplug the 110 VAC) when the generator goes on.

For cooling, add a radiator and some tubing.

BoyntonStu

H2OPWR
02-22-2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks Guys,

Yes baking soda is out if you want your device to work over the long haul. KOH is the answer but it must be handled with care.

Larry