PDA

View Full Version : Snapple Reservoir/Bubbler/Cooler Leak Tester

BoyntonStu
02-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Snapple Reservoir/Bubbler/Cooler/Leak Tester

http://i348.photobucket.com/albums/q339/BoyntonStu/ReservoirBubbler2-19-09.jpg

This is a photo of 3 - 20 oz plastic Snapple bottles inside of a $3.99 6 quart container. The Container is the mount.

The 3 tube one on the left is the reservoir, the middle is the bubbler, and the last one is for a second bubbler.

I can fill the 6 qt container with water above the fittings and should a leak appear, I will see the bubbles.

I can also pipe to the reservoir for a cooling radiator if necessary.

The thin wall Snapple bottles conduct heat fairly well.

I have tested the system to 20 PSI.

BTW If vinegar is used, should there be an explosion, the vinegar would neutralize the KOH.

BoyntonStu

Gary Diamond
02-19-2009, 05:23 PM
Wow looks great, great job can you take a side video shot so we can see the bubbles in action

Painless
02-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Another fine example of BSKISS philosophy.

By 'BS' I mean 'Boynton Stu', not the 'street' meaning.

Mounted in good airflow and left filled with water would make a great cooling system.

Gary Diamond
02-19-2009, 05:45 PM

Mounted in good airflow and left filled with water would make a great cooling system.

Yup, Stu, is a real kiss guy, but that's what we need here.

BoyntonStu
02-19-2009, 06:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVaL76L_6X4

Not too shabby!

Volts Amps ML Seconds 6/19/2009
13.39 22 1000 32
Low
Watts MMW ML/MIN 103*F
294.58 6.36 1875

Snapple 20 oz containers seal well and they are thin enough to conduct heat.

They have been pressure/leak tested to 20 PSI.

I can fill the 6 qt container with water above the fittings and should a leak appear, I will see the bubbles.

I can also pipe to the reservoir for a cooling radiator if necessary.

The thin wall Snapple bottles conduct heat fairly well.

I have tested the system to 20 PSI.

BTW If vinegar is used, should there be an explosion, the vinegar would neutralize the KOH.

BoyntonStu

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rVaL76L_6X4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rVaL76L_6X4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BoyntonStu
02-19-2009, 06:43 PM

Or use an immersion heater for winter use?

BoyntonStu

Painless
02-19-2009, 08:59 PM
Indeed! That would work too.

gashead
02-20-2009, 08:22 AM
how important is it to have the resevoir inlet and return hoses strait to and from the cell? ive read on here that it is vital. stu's hoses are far from strait and his system looks to be doing just fine! im only asking because i cant seem to find a good place to mount a resevoir a cell and a bubbler all together to keep the hoses nice and strait. i think his setup would fit under my hood without too much hassel

BoyntonStu
02-20-2009, 08:29 AM
how important is it to have the resevoir inlet and return hoses strait to and from the cell? ive read on here that it is vital. stu's hoses are far from strait and his system looks to be doing just fine! im only asking because i cant seem to find a good place to mount a resevoir a cell and a bubbler all together to keep the hoses nice and strait. i think his setup would fit under my hood without too much hassel

The shape of the hose path is not important, straight, or curved, it doesn't matter.

The height difference between the reservoir and the cell input hole is the single critical relationship.

IOW You must have the electrolyte level higher than the input hole.

Good luck.

BoyntonStu