PDA

View Full Version : Pressure testing the Amoeba Cell for leaks.

BoyntonStu
02-11-2009, 09:39 AM
I took a car valve stem and ground the rubber down to fit inside 1/4" tubing.

I immersed the Amoeba Cell in a bucket of water with the output tubing blocked..

I connectd a bike pump with a built in pressure meter to the input side before the check valve.

The pump hose fitting clamped onto the valve stem leaving my hands free to pump, etc.

I was able to pump to 20 PSI before I saw a tiny stream of bubbles.

After I stopped pumping, the tiny stream of bubbles continued for many minutes.

This test demonstrated how well the one way valve performed and pinpointed the exact position of the leak.

None of the 14 gaskets leaked.

The weld of the SS tube was not compete.

We need to improve the weld or I will adapt my new tubing connector invention to the SS end plate and eliminate the weld.

No more tube-in-the-mouth leak testing for me!

BoyntonStu

Go 20 PSI!

Painless
02-11-2009, 11:32 AM
Stu,

You can't beat a bucket of water for leak testing.

My first move used to be to fill the cell with water and see if it leaked, this tells me next to nothing if there is one. I make a point of immersing my cell in the sink, full of water, and blowing hard down a hose whilst holding the other one shut. Tell tale stream of bubbles always points out the guilty party.

My wife finds this kind of amusing and always wonders if one day my head will blow up!

Russ.

BoyntonStu
02-11-2009, 12:23 PM
Stu,

You can't beat a bucket of water for leak testing.

My first move used to be to fill the cell with water and see if it leaked, this tells me next to nothing if there is one. I make a point of immersing my cell in the sink, full of water, and blowing hard down a hose whilst holding the other one shut. Tell tale stream of bubbles always points out the guilty party.

My wife finds this kind of amusing and always wonders if one day my head will blow up!

Russ.

Russ,

Your young lungs won't put out 5 PSI let alone 20 PSI.

Testing to 10 or 20 PSI will give you a bit of slack for dependability.

I have observed that a very slight leak at 20 PSI will probably not be a leak at 3 PSI.

BoyntonStu

Painless
02-11-2009, 12:27 PM
Russ,

Your young lungs won't put out 5 PSI let alone 20 PSI.

Testing to 10 or 20 PSI will give you a bit of slack for dependability.

I have observed that a very slight leak at 20 PSI will probably not be a leak at 3 PSI.

BoyntonStu

I just checked my compressor, it has a connector that fits nicely into the end of a hose. Next build I will save my wife the worry of my head exploding.

Russ.