PDA

View Full Version : best elec. current source?

jcbarton
02-10-2009, 12:06 PM
I have my system wired directly to the alternator. I have been reading that some people wire it to the fuel pump or the ignition so it only has current when the engine is running. What are the advantages/disadvantages to these different installs? Anybody have any feedback on their experiences and results? Thanks

mytoyotasucks
02-10-2009, 01:40 PM
I have mine wired through a relay that hooks to the battery, and the relay gets power from a switched ignition source. Also i have an inline fuse installed.

Direct from alt seems bad, what happens if it shorts? - does you alt die?

And when they say hooked to the fuel pump, they mean fuel pump relay.

jcbarton
02-11-2009, 01:12 PM
BTW, I have it wired to the alt. through a relay with an inline fuse.

redneck323
02-11-2009, 04:14 PM
I would make sure your power source to your toggle if ya have one is switched ignition. The problem if it isn't is that if you leave it on your not dealing with just a dead battery as if it were a stero amp. you are filling your intake and engine with HHO making one big bomb!!! Be careful it will blow your motor to littlle pieces and hurt or kill someone!

jcbarton
02-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Since it is wired to the alt through a realy it only has power when the motor is running, not with the ignition.

redneck323
02-13-2009, 02:50 PM
unless you are wired to a trigger wire from the pcm for the pcm controlled alternator then you stillmay have constant power the big wire at the alternator has constant power that is the charge wire to the battery and unless you have a diode block installed between there and the battery it is going to be power unless you use the wire for the charge indicator and it is a system that puts out power rather than ground when the alt starts charging. Might wanna check for voltage with a light or voltmeter.