PDA

View Full Version : wires getting hot

michog66
02-10-2009, 09:39 AM
i have built my own hho generator and it works. has annyone else built there own? the question i have is why the wires get so hot almost melting wen i hook it up?

Gary Diamond
02-10-2009, 10:16 AM
i have built my own hho generator and it works. has annyone else built there own? the question i have is why the wires get so hot almost melting wen i hook it up?

Please tell us, what you have for a cell, a little detail is needed.

What gauge wire are you using?

What cell design?

What is your power source and voltage?

That would be very helpfull

michog66
02-10-2009, 01:58 PM
22 guage galvanized steel

12 volt car battery

like a tube design but theres 2 22 guage wires wound together and wrapped around pexie glass in a penut butter jar.

its a quickie to c if it actualy worked.

i hooked it up to my lawn mower and everything was good except that the wires i connected to the battery and the post on the unit were getting hot. im not sure if the inside steel is getting hot or not.

michog66
02-10-2009, 02:02 PM
i was also wondering if there is a way to hook it up to the lawn mower but be able to control the rpms so it dosnt heat up?

BurnHydrox.com
02-10-2009, 02:45 PM

Electrons flowing through wire encounter resistance. Resistance = heat. To get less heat use a bigger gauge wire.

Think of your small wire like a 1 lane road trying to handle freeway traffic. If you give that same traffic a road with more lanes it flows smoother and with less problems. :D

protecheqp
02-10-2009, 08:46 PM
go 8 gauge be sure about your connections remember its DC current

michog66
02-11-2009, 09:25 AM
k thanks. I PLAN ON BUILDING A stainless plate unit

John Sargent
02-11-2009, 10:32 AM
Hello,
I had the same problems with wiring. Finally got it all resolved. Here are some tips from what I learned doing it:

1. Use 10 gauge wire, but no smaller than 12 gauge. Your 22 gauge is way too small for hho.

2. Solder all connections where possible. If you have to use wire connectors, like blade and spade, then solder them together after joining them. You get resistance from them but the solder overcomes it and gives you a good connection.

3. Where you cannot solder, because of sensitive electrical equipment (like relay, or pwm), then use di-electric grease, just a little, on the connection. It has the same effect as solder and will give you a good connection.

4. After you connect something together, use your multimeter, set to ohms, to measure resistance. Put each probe on each end of the connection, and see what the ohms of resistance are. If higher than 10 ohms, as a general guideline, you are going to have heating and resistance problems.

These steps will keep you from blowing fuses, melting your wiring and ruining your alternator. Hope they will be useful to you.

John Sargent