PDA

View Full Version : Why Dry cell over Wet Cell

bigsmoke1956
02-10-2009, 01:14 AM
Please tell me why that a dry cell works so much better than a wet cell does.
Bulit my frist dry cell today and was amazed how much gas it really put out. It was 5x5 plates x 16 +nnnn-nnnn+nnnn- about 15amps did about 1 liter every 45sec, always saw viedos on there output but when I saw it blue me away. So will someone please tell why they work better.

SmartScarecrow
02-10-2009, 01:30 AM
Please tell me why that a dry cell works so much better than a wet cell does.
Bulit my frist dry cell today and was amazed how much gas it really put out. It was 5x5 plates x 16 +nnnn-nnnn+nnnn- about 15amps did about 1 liter every 45sec, always saw viedos on there output but when I saw it blue me away. So will someone please tell why they work better.

1) safety - never seen a dry cell blow up and chase you up the drive way

2) efficiency - while you can get better efficiency with SOME "wet cell" designs than with the typical dry cell, the dry cell is typically much more efficient in terms of how much gas you can get out, for the amount of electricity you put in ... now if you are into the big acrylic Bob Boyce style series cells, and you got the know how to do them right, you can beat a dry cell's efficiency hands down ... but your expense and work load will be MUCH higher ...

3) economy - as long as pick a well proven design and source decent quality parts, it will go together quickly, easily and can be done with parts that are readily available and fairly inexpensive ...

BIGGEST DISADVANTAGE TO A DRY CELL

its not all potatoes and gravy ... the dry cells do have a couple issues running against them particularly if you intend an automotive implementation ...

1) they are sometimes hard to find a plate to mount

2) the separate reservoir/bubbler plus secondary bubbler normally means more plumbing and gizmos to find room for under the hood

3) the exposed metal edges can become contaminated with road salt and debris particularly in winter in norther climates ... this means constant hosing off to keep the device from shorting out due to surface contamination ...

hope that gives you some objective pros/cons to consider ... there is need for development in both types of device ... the choice is really up to you ...