PDA

View Full Version : Use It Everyday...Didn't Even Realize It

NorthTitan33
02-09-2009, 09:33 PM
So I'm brand new to this forum but I am certainly hooked. My brother-in-law heard about this and told me about it and so of course I hit Google and went crazy soaking up information. The interesting part to this is that I use this application on a daily basis usually, but not right now.

I am in the Navy onboard a US Submarine. Submariners need oxygen. I make oxygen. I don't have all the answers about our oxygen genrator specifics cause I am certainly not a professional with it. But basically our application of splitting water is we separate the Hydrogen and Oxygen and keep the oxygen and get rid of the hydrogen cause we obviously don't want a highly flammable gas inside our submarine. To answer a first simple question that many people I see talk about. For us to split water we use DI Water with KOH. We use a 30% KOH and 70% DI Water. We use liquid KOH that comes in approx gallon bottles.

Oh and we discharge CO2 and have meters that measure the amount we are discharging...so I'm going to look into them and see if they can give me an idea to easily and constantly measure Hydrogen flow through a pipe...instaned of having to constatnyl use the liter bottle method I am seeing many people use.

alpha-dog
02-09-2009, 09:57 PM
How are they seperating the gases?

daddymikey1975
02-09-2009, 10:10 PM
How are they seperating the gases?

I'd like to know this as well..

thanks for posting and please keep us informed.

mike

Painless
02-09-2009, 10:18 PM
This link is a little informative:

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/treadwell-supplies-oxygen-generator-components-for-nuclear-subs-2-04690/

It mentions that their systems use a proton exchange membrane to separate the gasses and that they can produce up to 225 cubic feet of O2 an hour.

BoyntonStu
02-09-2009, 10:42 PM
This link is a little informative:

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/treadwell-supplies-oxygen-generator-components-for-nuclear-subs-2-04690/

It mentions that their systems use a proton exchange membrane to separate the gasses and that they can produce up to 225 cubic feet of O2 an hour.

225 cu ft O2 per hour = 210 LPM Hydrogen

I wonder what are the voltage and current measurements.

What do the meters indicate on your submarine?

(Assuming my calculation is correct)

1 Cu ft = 28,316,887 cu mm = 28 Liters

(28 x 225 x 2)/60

BoyntonStu

bigjim56
02-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Cool to see a Navy brother here. Served onboard yhe USS Independence CV-62 from 1975 -1979 They have a self-sustaining way of life thats for sure. When a ship pulls away from the dock, your on your own...something breaks, fix it or learn to do without. (It usually got fixed!)

Dig into the technology. its benefits will be lifetime. I dug deep into the boiler/distillery technology while on board and have never regretted it. The Navy teaches you much better than a book. Controlling and maintaining these important processes gives great self fullfillment over time.

As far as measuring the HHO, it would seem to be feasable that there is a way. Waterflow can be measured very accurately, so a gas flow should be able to be measured accurately. Knowing the % of oygen and deducing the fact that only HHO remains (cool cell/no steam) the flow X %HHO = actual HHO. Hope this makes sense, at least it would be fairly accurate. Still the liter/2liter bottle seems much easier. I have seen a lot of videos where the HHO is vaporizing, so these readings i wouldn't think are all that accurate because of the steam volume, though a small vapor volume can be expected.
I would expect a gas volume/oygen content/vapor pressure multi-probe would do this, but thats big $$$.

bigjim56

NorthTitan33
02-10-2009, 11:39 AM
So to answer some of the questions....haha as far as amps go we're running 1050 Amps at normal operation but can run as low as 550 Amps to make less oxygen if we have to. At 1050 Amps we make 125 scfh. How we separate the two gasses I am still working on getting a more detailed explanation from a more senior guy. How we split the water is a little better though. We have huige cells which are about 6 feet tall and about 5 inches around. I don't know exactly what material they are but we have huge bus bars that hook each in series and then inside is like a chicken wire type of stuff. I haven't been able to find exact materials yet. Im in going to school while my boat is gone so all of my normal tech manuals are gone so it takes a little longer to get information.

With measuring gas flow through a pipe....all it really is is a magentic thing that hooks to the pipe. It doesn't penetrate the pipe at all. So Im also trying to find out if it'd work for HHO cause it works great for Co2.

BoyntonStu
02-10-2009, 12:12 PM
So to answer some of the questions....haha as far as amps go we're running 1050 Amps at normal operation but can run as low as 550 Amps to make less oxygen if we have to. At 1050 Amps we make 125 scfh. How we separate the two gasses I am still working on getting a more detailed explanation from a more senior guy. How we split the water is a little better though. We have huige cells which are about 6 feet tall and about 5 inches around. I don't know exactly what material they are but we have huge bus bars that hook each in series and then inside is like a chicken wire type of stuff. I haven't been able to find exact materials yet. Im in going to school while my boat is gone so all of my normal tech manuals are gone so it takes a little longer to get information.

With measuring gas flow through a pipe....all it really is is a magentic thing that hooks to the pipe. It doesn't penetrate the pipe at all. So Im also trying to find out if it'd work for HHO cause it works great for Co2.

Thanks,

550 or 1050 Amps with 30% KOH.

What is the Voltage.

How many plates?

Approximate size of the plates?

BoyntonStu

NorthTitan33
02-10-2009, 02:33 PM
well we can do any variation of amps between 550 or 1050 depending on the situation and how much oxygen we wanna make....and we dont have plates...we run current though the outside of our cells in an area isolated from grounding to anything...and then inside is a mesh type stuff that i dont have exact details on but next week will defintiely be able to answer more...we have 16 cells each being that 6 foot tall 5 in round tube and inside each contains mesh type of material that i am looking more into findiing better details about...

im pretty sure its 4 volts per cell for a total of 64 volts....

my boat is old so we don't have the newest oxygen generator.....there's nothing secret about them...

here's the companies that makes them website.... http://www.treadwellcorp.com/index.html

its not very informative but that's them