PDA

View Full Version : Flash back arrestor ideas...

bigjim56
02-07-2009, 09:23 AM
I've been thinking hard about using the MK2 reservoir top as a flash back arrestor. I'm curious as to how everyone else is doing this for their on board HHO systems. I was really intrigued by the idea in an earlier post about using a "spring ball" method. This would amount to a ball sitting in a grommeted hole, backed by a spring and PVC tubing with holes drilled in the aft for pressure release. That idea would seem to work to me. I also have seen (youtube) the caps of plastic bag material on PVC ends that some are using, and that idea looks to have merit.

A trip to the junkyard for a broken flasher is in order, and I think while there I'll grab a few reservoirs for use in my vehicles, I just want to get some ideas before I go.

bigjim56

Painless
02-07-2009, 12:17 PM
The way I see it, your bubbler's blow off top (or equivalent) should be your last line of 100% defense against a flashback. The spring loaded, self-resetting, arrestors are the best and most reliable as far as I've seen.

You can make one fairly cheaply.

Q-Hack!
02-07-2009, 01:46 PM
My current setup uses the plastic bag stretched over a piece of PVC tubing. They work well, but if you do pop it, it requires you physically replace it. The ball spring method is better as you don't have to do anything to reset. And yes, it should be your last line of defence. I never want to rely on it alone.

BoyntonStu
02-07-2009, 02:49 PM
My current setup uses the plastic bag stretched over a piece of PVC tubing. They work well, but if you do pop it, it requires you physically replace it. The ball spring method is better as you don't have to do anything to reset. And yes, it should be your last line of defence. I never want to rely on it alone.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pqiMH7-v1W8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pqiMH7-v1W8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Why continue making Hydrogen if a flashback occurs?

I want to stop everything and see what caused the spark.

BoyntonStu

Q-Hack!
02-07-2009, 03:55 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pqiMH7-v1W8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pqiMH7-v1W8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Why continue making Hydrogen if a flashback occurs?

I want to stop everything and see what caused the spark.

BoyntonStu

That is a real good point... The only time I have ever blown the safety on my bubbler was when I was working with my torch. I knew what was wrong with that... (used course steel wool instead of fine bronze wool.) If you end up popping the safety device, you should immediately find out why.

bigjim56
02-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the replies. Excellent video Boytonstu. And its also interesting that the only flashback was w/your torch Q-Hack!, I wonder how many here have actually experienced a flashback? I hope I never do.

Now would'nt the flashback come from the engine backfiring and not an outside source?
I know people smoking or a torch in the cell area is a no-no, but my car has NEVER backfired, so the idea of a flashback is very remote to begin with. As long as I maintain a minimum of fuel with the MAP sensor dial (to keep the engine from sputtering), the only possible way a flashback could occur would instead have to be from an outside spark resulting from a gas leak. What you guys think?

bigjim56

BoyntonStu
02-07-2009, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the replies. Excellent video Boytonstu. And its also interesting that the only flashback was w/your torch Q-Hack!, I wonder how many here have actually experienced a flashback? I hope I never do.

Now would'nt the flashback come from the engine backfiring and not an outside source?
I know people smoking or a torch in the cell area is a no-no, but my car has NEVER backfired, so the idea of a flashback is very remote to begin with. As long as I maintain a minimum of fuel with the MAP sensor dial (to keep the engine from sputtering), the only possible way a flashback could occur would instead have to be from an outside spark resulting from a gas leak. What you guys think?

bigjim56

Short answer; shorts.

BoyntonStu

Q-Hack!
02-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Short answer; shorts.

BoyntonStu

Corrosion between metal parts being a big culprit. It doesn't take much to cause a spark.

bigjim56
02-08-2009, 11:27 AM
I agree that if a flashback occurs, HHO production should stop. Maybe a combo flash arrestor would be a good idea here. Having a spare membrane on hand for on the spot replacement would be wise, the spring ball system would help alleviate excessive system overload and help minimize damage...if not eliminate it altogether.

bigjim56