PDA

View Full Version : electrolite solutions.

gizzy
02-05-2009, 12:59 PM
I been here on and off for a while, and my concern is. I been using hho now for 9 months now and I read people here saying pottasium hydroxide is terrible for our engines. Is there any truth to this? Also I do know that if you put aluminum in this solution it does make hho by it self. Aluminum oxide if I believe vapors with the hho. I don't want to have the cost replacing my engine:( Can you all answer me the truth. :confused:

Q-Hack!
02-05-2009, 01:50 PM
Both NaOH and KOH are bad for the aluminium in the engine if it ends up there. Best to build a bubbler that removes as much KOH as possible. The problem here is that you have to replace the clean water periodically as it will become saturated with KOH eventually.

gizzy
02-06-2009, 10:24 AM
Both NaOH and KOH are bad for the aluminium in the engine if it ends up there. Best to build a bubbler that removes as much KOH as possible. The problem here is that you have to replace the clean water periodically as it will become saturated with KOH eventually.

I have a bubbler that is about a liter in size. Which also filters thru another bubbler sending the vapor to my intake. So your saying, use a fresh solution periodically. I haven't changed it out about 3 months at least. ok great. So I understand that as long as koh comes in contact to the engine we're ok. You know now that you mentioned koh and aluminum. I was reading one day that it cleans up aluminum. So I used it on a boat part of mine to try it. So I made a bucket full of solution of kho and water. I submerged the part in the water, and it started fizzing. I had to get the blow torch out and check it. It made hho . I was amazed. I never knew that, but anyhow thanks for the information..

Q-Hack!
02-06-2009, 11:25 AM
I have a bubbler that is about a liter in size. Which also filters thru another bubbler sending the vapor to my intake. So your saying, use a fresh solution periodically. I haven't changed it out about 3 months at least. ok great. So I understand that as long as koh comes in contact to the engine we're ok. You know now that you mentioned koh and aluminum. I was reading one day that it cleans up aluminum. So I used it on a boat part of mine to try it. So I made a bucket full of solution of kho and water. I submerged the part in the water, and it started fizzing. I had to get the blow torch out and check it. It made hho . I was amazed. I never knew that, but anyhow thanks for the information..

I hope this statement is a miss-type and you meant "doesn't come in contact" :eek:

gizzy
02-07-2009, 09:26 AM
No not at all. What I was referring to was a aluminum boat part on my seats. I took off the mount for the seat and dipped them in the solution. No way, believe me I know better than that. I ment to say it was bubbling and I was curious so I checked the bubbles with a lighter and found out that aluminum creates with kho, hydrogen by itself with no current. I never knew that.Anyhow I wanted to explain this a little better.

Painless
02-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Aluminum will react with straight water to produce hydrogen, but when the oxygen and hydrogen split the hydrogen bubbles out of the water, however, the oxygen will form an oxide skin on the aluminum and prevent any further reaction.

When you use a strong base catalyst such as KOH or NaOH, the caustic solution dissolves the oxidised skin on the aluminum and allows the reaction to continue, as you saw.

Q-Hack!
02-07-2009, 01:53 PM
Aluminum will react with straight water to produce hydrogen, but when the oxygen and hydrogen split the hydrogen bubbles out of the water, however, the oxygen will form an oxide skin on the aluminum and prevent any further reaction.

When you use a strong base catalyst such as KOH or NaOH, the caustic solution dissolves the oxidised skin on the aluminum and allows the reaction to continue, as you saw.

Exactly, the KOH eats the aluminium oxide that coats the outside of bare aluminium. When bare aluminium parts are exposed to the air, it creates a new layer of aluminium oxide... which the KOH eats again... End result is your part will eventually dissolve in KOH. This is why it is bad for your engine.

chris1200
02-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Also I do know that if you put aluminum in this solution it does make hho by it self. :

If I remember correctly, this reaction occurs with a strong acid (like HCL, etc), not a base (KOH, NaOH)

Q-Hack!
02-08-2009, 03:04 PM
If I remember correctly, this reaction occurs with a strong acid (like HCL, etc), not a base (KOH, NaOH)

It reacts with both.

2Al + 6H20 + 2KOH yields 2(KAl(OH)4) +3H2

and that is without electricity.

When gizzy lit the bubbles coming off the aluminium, he was burning pure hydrogen using the oxygen in the air as catalyst.