PDA

View Full Version : Outsmarted by the computer

alsandiego
02-04-2009, 07:27 PM
New 16 plate Tero type cell, O2 sensor extensions, MAF sensor enhanser. 2001 Tundra. Original MPG 10-12 city, 14-16 fwy. First test after cell install completed, 18 mpg city, 28-31mpg hwy, thrilled.:) Three days after this test the mileage is back to or near to the 12 & 16 MPG that I started with, not thrilled.:confused: Any Ideas? If I tweek the MAF any more the check engine light comes on. Plenty of production from the cell. I tried pulling the battery cable for a couple of hours to default the computer but no change.

BoyntonStu
02-04-2009, 07:45 PM
[QUOTE=alsandiego;22833]New 16 plate Tero type cell, O2 sensor extensions, MAF sensor enhanser. 2001 Tundra. Original MPG 10-12 city, 14-16 fwy. First test after cell install completed, 18 mpg city, 28-31mpg hwy, thrilled.:) Three days after this test the mileage is back to or near to the 12 & 16 MPG that I started with, not thrilled.:confused: Any Ideas? If I tweek the MAF any more the check engine light comes on. Plenty of production from the cell. I tried pulling the battery cable for a couple of hours to default the computer but no change.[/QUOTE

How many miles did you drive before calculating the mpg increase?

BoyntonStu

hg2
02-04-2009, 07:52 PM
New 16 plate Tero type cell, O2 sensor extensions, MAF sensor enhanser. 2001 Tundra. Original MPG 10-12 city, 14-16 fwy. First test after cell install completed, 18 mpg city, 28-31mpg hwy, thrilled.:) Three days after this test the mileage is back to or near to the 12 & 16 MPG that I started with, not thrilled.:confused: Any Ideas? If I tweek the MAF any more the check engine light comes on. Plenty of production from the cell. I tried pulling the battery cable for a couple of hours to default the computer but no change.

First off you're going to have to keep the maf en.on a low setting.Most maf en. instructions say to adjust until the motor stumbles then back off until it stabilizes.If you did yours this way then you've set it too high.The maf en. needs only to be turned up slightly because it will only be needed to compliment the O2 efie.O2 efies will give better mileage gains the maf en.to start with.Where I keep mine set is if there were 1 through 10 settings marked mine would be set about 1 to 1 1/2.

When you tried to reset by removing the pos, bat cable did the light go out after?You probably need an O2 efie to correct your problem

H2OPWR
02-04-2009, 07:54 PM

Your O2 sensors are your problem. Assuming you drove enough miles and the first test is accurate. Adding HHO will lean the exhaust. Then leaning with the MAF/MAP also leans the exhaust. Your O2's are in a tail spin. You are double leaning the car. All the time your O2's are telling the ECU to add more gas. So it is. I would NOT use a MAF/MAP without an EFIE for the O2's.

hg2
02-04-2009, 08:02 PM
alsandiego before you buy an efie you'll first need to determine what type O2 sensors you have,you can do this by checking the voltage on the signal wire on the O2 sensor.I think some of the Toyota s used wideband sensors so you'll need to confirm that first.

BTW O2 extenders rarely work.

alsandiego
02-04-2009, 08:10 PM
Wow guys thanks for the rapid responses. Well the first thing that I have concluded after some more reading on this site is that the scan gauge that I am trusting for mpg results can't be trusted with MAF tweeks. I haven't accomplished a good physical mpg check yet. Am I understanding correctly that the O2 extensions are not helping and that I need EFIE to complete the system prior to MAF tweeking? Should I kill the MAF sensor adjustment until I add the EFIE. Do you guys have a recommendation for a good EFIE? What will the O2 sensor voltage be to ID narrow or wide band?

H2OPWR
02-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Wow guys thanks for the rapid responses. Well the first thing that I have concluded after some more reading on this site is that the scan gauge that I am trusting for mpg results can't be trusted with MAF tweeks. I haven't accomplished a good physical mpg check yet. Am I understanding correctly that the O2 extensions are not helping and that I need EFIE to complete the system prior to MAF tweeking? Should I kill the MAF sensor adjustment until I add the EFIE. Do you guys have a recommendation for a good EFIE? What will the O2 sensor voltage be to ID narrow or wide band?

Yes I would not use the MAF without the EFIE. Send this guy an e-mail. He can help.

http://www.hhoforums.com/member.php?find=lastposter&t=2314

Larry

hg2
02-05-2009, 01:58 AM
alsandiego here's some more docs and instructions and also has a helpful vidieo showing how to test O2s.
They also sell a great O2 efie and have good support if you need help.

http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/documents.html

alsandiego
02-05-2009, 11:12 AM
hg2, thanks for the link. Lots to absorb.