PDA

View Full Version : Custom made resevoir tank

dougie175
02-03-2009, 05:16 AM
Im having problems finding room to fit a resevoir tank in my engine bay!

The only area I have is 8" long, 4" high and 4.5" wide, I cant find much in the way of expasion tanks that will fit in that area so will have to look for another alternative.

Can anyone think of a suitable container I can use to hold the pottasium hydroxide solution in the resevoir?

I could quite easily weld a steel box together that would fit in perfectly however I dont have the equipment to weld stainless and Im guessing steel would be far from an ideal thing to produce a tank out of.

Its got me a bit stumped. Thanks

daddymikey1975
02-03-2009, 07:50 AM
Im having problems finding room to fit a resevoir tank in my engine bay!

The only area I have is 8" long, 4" high and 4.5" wide, I cant find much in the way of expasion tanks that will fit in that area so will have to look for another alternative.

Can anyone think of a suitable container I can use to hold the pottasium hydroxide solution in the resevoir?

I could quite easily weld a steel box together that would fit in perfectly however I dont have the equipment to weld stainless and Im guessing steel would be far from an ideal thing to produce a tank out of.

Its got me a bit stumped. Thanks

you could always use some PVC pipe, and end pieces such as Painless' in his videos.. modified to fit your engine bay of course.

as a side note for finding extra room (and i'm not familiar at all with Peugeot) would be behind the front grill but in front of the radiator, directly in front of the front tires but 'inside' the bumper cover, and how about removing the windshield washer fluid reservoir to free up some space ?? not sure where yours is, or how big but just throwing some ideas out to help 'think outside the box' :)

if you were to post some pics of your engine bay and front of the car (bumper, etc.) we may be able to help you brainstorm some other ideas.

I hope this helps
mike

dougie175
02-03-2009, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the reply bud.

I have just purchased a small expansion tank from a motorbike which is the right sort of size and shape from ebay for £9 so hopefully should be ideal.

As I say the problem is how tight these engines are crammed into the bay.

I have found room for my bubbler the only issue now is actually installing the dry cell.

No room behind the front bumper as I have already had to fit slimline fans and cut out alot of the bumper support to fit a large front mounted intercooler so theres no room there, However there is room below the air box attatching the cell to the chassis leg. The problem with that is it could get splashed with water.

Also front and rear washers run of the same bottle :-(

Ill take some pics in a minute

Painless
02-03-2009, 08:54 AM
As Mike said, PVC pipes work well!

How about relocating the battery to the boot?

dougie175
02-03-2009, 09:09 AM
Ok heres my engine bay, gives you an idea the type of space we have to work with our the european cars!

Theres currently 2 nasty bath style nydrogen generators in there the 2 1 is where my resevoir is planned to go and the lower one is there the cleansing bubbler will be located.

There is also a photo showing the intercooler behind my front bumper its litrally stuffed right behind the front bumper theres no room back there unfortuanly.

The only large are of room is about 6" gap between the radiator and engine which would probably be quite a warm area and I wouldnt be able to see the unit very well, however it is big enough!

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a85/dougie175/Picture00001.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a85/dougie175/Picture00002.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a85/dougie175/Picture00003.jpg

dougie175
02-03-2009, 09:10 AM
As Mike said, PVC pipes work well!

How about relocating the battery to the boot?

Would be possible as the car has actually been converted to a mini van so theres plenty of room in the boot, however its a pain, ideally I would like to keep everything in the engine bay.

Q-Hack!
02-03-2009, 11:33 AM
One of the things I did with my Saturn Vue was to remove all of the air intake system out of the vehicle. The only things you have to have; the MAF (if equipped) and some form of air filter. The rest is just plastic expansion chambers for acoustic purposes. I went to my local auto parts store and picked up an el cheapo cone shaped filter, and now I have lots of space to work with.

dougie175
02-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Yeah you can fit an induction kit to this car, however the piping goes down the back of the engine to the turbo and the MAF is a problem so there isnt alot of room to gain as I couldnt reduce the pipe.

Putting an induction kit would give me a bit of room around the unit however not enough to fit a dry cell.

Im strongly having to think about re-locating the battery. Is it 100% safe to have a battery in the car with you as its a mini van, the battery will be located just behind the driving seat.

Q-Hack!
02-03-2009, 01:30 PM
They make bolt down boxes for just this purpose. http://www.midstatebattery.com/boxes.htm