PDA

View Full Version : Newbie. Please assist.

Smokem
02-03-2009, 12:30 AM
Hello All!

Been trying to get this hydrogen thing figured out.
So far I have been seeing little gains, but after reading and learning and reading some more...
I think I have it.
I am currently running a wet kit, and was wandering first off, does the plate size have any impact on amp draw? I am assuming that it helps greatly with production.

Secondly, So far I am only running a vacuum hookup and I think that's where I am up against the wall. Although I think there's plenty of vacuum and vacuum tests show that unless I go from idle to WOT I won't loose vacuum during hard acceleration or normal driving. Is there a benefit to running intake lines?

I also only use baking soda. Seems that I am kinda primitive in that thought, but I am running a vinegar bubbler so I think I am covered.

I currently have a kit I'm tweaking on my 6.0. After a few days and no real gains, i pulled it off. It's a nice setup in that It has 1 gallon capacity but I only put small plates in it. I am thinking bigger plates or a second set of plates since I have the room and a safe divider to put in between them. (suspend one set inthe middle of the tube and 1 set at the bottom. Would that give any benefit over one set of large plates?

I have a lot to learn. but I also have put together a kit that's doubling mileage on my old s-10. So apparently I am not that far off. Or at least I got lucky on that one.

Thanks!
And hope to share and learn a lot from you all.

Gary Diamond
02-03-2009, 01:07 AM
Why not go with a dry cell now

Painless
02-03-2009, 09:14 AM
Welcome to the forum, Smokem,

Nice results with the S10! More detail on your exact setup there would be a great thing for our testimonials thread.

More than likely, what you are up against here is LPM output for that big 6.0 litre engine. Do you know what your LPM output is? You're probably going to need 5 or 6 LPM of HHO for the 6.0.

Big plates vs small plates isn't a biggie, however, surface area in relation to amp draw is important. Best efficiency has been reported at 4 square inches per watt of power.

Russ.

Smokem
02-03-2009, 11:49 AM
What's the easiest way to measure watts?

And I'm working up a submission for the testimonials on the s-10.

As far as a dry kit. It's going to be in the works sometime this spring. I am going to keep researching and possibly just buy one if I don't find the time to build one.

6LPM, not impossible. I am redoing my setup tonight, so I'll have a fresh result tomorrow or thursday.

Q-Hack!
02-03-2009, 01:36 PM

As far as a dry kit. It's going to be in the works sometime this spring. I am going to keep researching and possibly just buy one if I don't find the time to build one.

6LPM, not impossible. I am redoing my setup tonight, so I'll have a fresh result tomorrow or thursday.

Watts = Amps X Volts

H2OPWR
02-04-2009, 01:16 AM

Six LPM is totally possible. But you will ned to make some changes to your vehicle to make that much HHO. First an alternator capable of at least 100 amps more than stock. Second you have to change the cables that carry that much current to your battery. Third it will take a very large cell because any more than 1 watt of power per 4 square inches of plate surface will make excessive heat. Just get ready to spend some serious money and good luck. I hope to see some great results. Success always starts with ambition.

Larry

SmartScarecrow
02-04-2009, 01:32 AM
Six LPM is totally possible. But you will ned to make some changes to your vehicle to make that much HHO. First an alternator capable of at least 100 amps more than stock. Second you have to change the cables that carry that much current to your battery. Third it will take a very large cell because any more than 1 watt of power per 4 square inches of plate surface will make excessive heat. Just get ready to spend some serious money and good luck. I hope to see some great results. Success always starts with ambition.

Larry

I will echo H2OPWR ... 6 lpm is easy ... I am doing 10 lpm every day of the week, 20 lpm when I really need to and have an apparatus running that is capable of 40 lpm ... I cant deal with a flash back at 40 lpm yet so only do that much for brief experiments ...

when you cross into 5 lpm or more territory, your ancillary equipment needs a hard look ... the typical bubblers, reservoirs and plumbing I see most using are not capable of handling more than 3-5 lpm ... and when you have to deal with a flash back of maybe 5 liters of the stuff in your delivery system, it best be of some tuff, resilient materials ...

but, the biggest problem for most when it comes to getting more than about 3 lpm or so will be power ... the typical automotive installation just will not have the required power available without some major modifications to produce more than maybe 1.5 to 3 lpm ... 20-30 amps at 12v is normally about all the typical automotive electrical system has to spare, if that ... so you end up getting into some pretty exotic solutions to get past that barrier ...

my own designs are stationary, not intended for automotive applications ... they are typically powered off 120/240v wall current at anywhere from 5 to 40 amps ...