PDA

View Full Version : Watervan no longer offers a mmw calculator here's a new site to use

hg2
01-29-2009, 04:55 AM
http://site.altpropulsion.com/MMWCalc.htm

Q-Hack!
01-29-2009, 11:55 AM

Hey, good find. I like this one because it calculates for Faraday efficiency as well.

mytoyotasucks
01-29-2009, 01:54 PM
5 plates +nnn- = I get 1.2 LPM at 18 amps = 5.5555555555 MMW

Theoretical Volume produced by 100% Faraday Efficiency = 826.652

Your percentage of Faraday Efficiency = 145.1637%

half Smack +(nn)(nn)(nn)(nn)- = I get 700 MLPM at 20 amps = 2.916666666 MMW

Theoretical Volume produced by 100% Faraday Efficiency = 1140.474

Your percentage of Faraday Efficiency = 61.37797%

Can somebody explain these #'s for me, thanx D

Q-Hack!
01-29-2009, 11:26 PM
Can somebody explain these #'s for me, thanx D

Michael Faraday figured out what the theoretical maximum was for creating hydrogen by electrolysis. For your half Smack design you have the electrical configuration of +||||- which equates to 1 cell with 6 total plates (regardless of how many plates are used in reality). If you had a full Smack's setup it would be +||||-||||+ which is 2 cells with 11 total plates.

Since you are in Canada you will need to find out your average barometric pressure as the web site only lists the states.

Remember that all of these values that you input effect the theoretical maximum efficiency. It all ends up being a bit of give and take to get a generator that works close to the maximum.

For instance, I have routinely talked/joked about a goal to develop a cell that performs at 7 LPM at 20 Amps. To do this means that I have to either allow my cell to run at 2400 degrees Fahrenheit or run it inside a vacuum container that would simulate a barometric pressure of about 220. Since the former is just about impossible, I am going for the latter. The problem is just keeping it from boiling the water at that vacuum level. :(

This is a great way to explain the reason people see an increase in production when they hook there generators up to the vacuum lines in there vehicles.

SmartScarecrow
01-30-2009, 12:46 AM

yeah, I am not sure what has happened to my dear friend Mad Stu ... he sorta dropped off the face of the earth ... he and I used to communicate regularly ... I hope all is well with him and that he resurfaces at some point ...

mytoyotasucks
01-30-2009, 01:09 AM
Michael Faraday figured out what the theoretical maximum was for creating hydrogen by electrolysis. For your half Smack design you have the electrical configuration of +||||- which equates to 1 cell with 6 total plates (regardless of how many plates are used in reality). If you had a full Smack's setup it would be +||||-||||+ which is 2 cells with 11 total plates.

Since you are in Canada you will need to find out your average barometric pressure as the web site only lists the states.

Remember that all of these values that you input effect the theoretical maximum efficiency. It all ends up being a bit of give and take to get a generator that works close to the maximum.

For instance, I have routinely talked/joked about a goal to develop a cell that performs at 7 LPM at 20 Amps. To do this means that I have to either allow my cell to run at 2400 degrees Fahrenheit or run it inside a vacuum container that would simulate a barometric pressure of about 220. Since the former is just about impossible, I am going for the latter. The problem is just keeping it from boiling the water at that vacuum level. :(

This is a great way to explain the reason people see an increase in production when they hook there generators up to the vacuum lines in there vehicles.

Ok that explains some what, but how about what the # mean?

and what kind of # we want to shoot for, Thanx again D

because the # look weird to me

5 plates +nnn- = I get 1.2 LPM at 18 amps = 5.5555555555 MMW

half Smack +(nn)(nn)(nn)(nn)- = I get 700 MLPM at 20 amps = 2.916666666 MMW

Theoretical Volume produced by 100% Faraday Efficiency = 1140.474

Your percentage of Faraday Efficiency = 61.37797%

Q-Hack!
01-30-2009, 03:54 AM
Ok that explains some what, but how about what the # mean?

and what kind of # we want to shoot for, Thanx again D

because the # look weird to me

You are correct in thinking that it looks weird.

Theoretical volume produced by 100% Faraday efficiency is the same as if you could produce a cell that had zero current leakage. In other words all available power is being used to produce HHO with the plate setup specified.

Faraday efficiency is the ratio of your recorded volume per minute and the theoretical maximum.

Power efficiency refers to the amount of electricity used that isn't being wasted as heat.

Total Efficiency is more of a statistical reference of both power and Faraday efficiencies.

In your case you should have had a pop-up box that said something like:
Your percentage of Faraday Efficiency is suspect. This difference is most likely explained by a mistake in the input data or imprecise measurements which could be due to many factors.
If you have pop-ups blocked then you may not have seen this message.

More than likely you haven't accounted for the correct temperature of the gas, or the barometric pressure is incorrect for when you conducted the test. Relatively small changes to either of these will skue the results.

You may want to re-accomplish your test and take real accurate readings for each of these.