PDA

View Full Version : Upside Down Sears 10” Radial Arm Saw

BoyntonStu
01-25-2009, 03:48 PM
I finally figured out a way to safely cut tiny pieces of wood on my Upside Down Sears 10” Radial Arm Saw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwzWDLnuxCs

BoyntonStu

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pwzWDLnuxCs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pwzWDLnuxCs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

overtaker
01-26-2009, 09:27 AM
That is one dangerous machine! I understand you are using a hold down device but the direction the blade is turning is so wrong. What you have is a missile launcher!!!!! Please be careful and maybe post a follow up video explaining the danger of this. We wouldn't want anything to happen to you. Everyone would say it was the MIB. Thanks.

BoyntonStu
01-26-2009, 10:33 AM
That is one dangerous machine! I understand you are using a hold down device but the direction the blade is turning is so wrong. What you have is a missile launcher!!!!! Please be careful and maybe post a follow up video explaining the danger of this. We wouldn't want anything to happen to you. Everyone would say it was the MIB. Thanks.

The blade is turning towards the fence and it forces the stock against it.

This is the RAS normal rotation.

The hold-down fixes the stock in place, preventing missile launching.

The slide table stops at a position short of fingers reaching the blade.

What danger remains?

BoyntonStu

Q-Hack!
01-26-2009, 02:27 PM
The blade is turning towards the fence and it forces the stock against it.

This is the RAS normal rotation.

The hold-down fixes the stock in place, preventing missile launching.

The slide table stops at a position short of fingers reaching the blade.

What danger remains?

BoyntonStu

I think the difference here is that most radial arm saws have the fence at the back of the saw, thereby reducing the danger of flinging your work at you.

overtaker
01-26-2009, 04:00 PM
Stu that may be normal RAS rotation but your feeding it from the wrong side!
When feeding stock into a blade, the blade should cut down into the piece and never lifting it. Just trying to save you some fingers. There is an awesome saw on the market that helps prevent lost fingers. Check out some of the videos on sawstop.com. Pricey but if I owned a cabinet or woodworking shop I'd own one.

BoyntonStu
01-26-2009, 04:11 PM
Stu that may be normal RAS rotation but your feeding it from the wrong side!
When feeding stock into a blade, the blade should cut down into the piece and never lifting it. Just trying to save you some fingers. There is an awesome saw on the market that helps prevent lost fingers. Check out some of the videos on sawstop.com. Pricey but if I owned a cabinet or woodworking shop I'd own one.

All I can say is come to my shop and watch it run.

I am cutting from the correct end that Sears designed it for ripping.

Look again at the video and see where the splitter and anti-kickback is located.

AFAIK All Radial Arm Saws are designed ti rip with the blade coming up.

A few minutes ago, I cut a pair of 3" X 3" X 45* hypotenuse.

Using the clamp down it was as easy as using a deli slicer.

I agree, that without the clamp down this cut would have been dangerous.

BTW Like BIG hydraulic Press machines that are designed so that both hands on switches located beyond danger, my hands are pushing the slide table from the extreme sides of the table. At least 18" away from the blade.

BTW Safe table saw practice requires the feeding hands to be much closer to the blade to avoid the stock from angling to the fence.

Do you see danger in my practice?

BoyntonStu

overtaker
01-26-2009, 06:44 PM
I myself am GUILTY of some unsafe work habits. I just think if you post a video for the world to see then safety concerns should be addressed on the video. Some ya-hooo might try the same thing and not know the importance of the hold down jig. I'm sure your careful.

BoyntonStu
01-26-2009, 07:34 PM
I myself am GUILTY of some unsafe work habits. I just think if you post a video for the world to see then safety concerns should be addressed on the video. Some ya-hooo might try the same thing and not know the importance of the hold down jig. I'm sure your careful.

Thanks.

The hold down jig is in my opinion the best safety feature a saw can have.

It is the equivalent of using a bench vice and cutting with a hacksaw; but even safer.

Look at the video as I push the table.

My hands are spread wide apart, unable to reach the blade.

I sincerely know of no saw as safe to use as this one.

BoyntonStu

P.S. 7 years ago, everyone warned me about safety using my $100 elevator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hom61NxuaE

They were, in a word, wrong.

Deja Vu?

Q-Hack!
01-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Thanks.

The hold down jig is in my opinion the best safety feature a saw can have.

It is the equivalent of using a bench vice and cutting with a hacksaw; but even safer.

Look at the video as I push the table.

My hands are spread wide apart, unable to reach the blade.

I sincerely know of no saw as safe to use as this one.

BoyntonStu

P.S. 7 years ago, everyone warned me about safety using my $100 elevator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hom61NxuaE

They were, in a word, wrong.

Deja Vu?

My word... what the H*** do you use that for?

BoyntonStu
01-26-2009, 10:01 PM
My word... what the H*** do you use that for?

To make small pieces of wood out of larger pieces.

BoyntonStu

Q-Hack!
01-26-2009, 10:08 PM

BoyntonStu

No, I meant the elevator... or is that what you were referring to?

BoyntonStu
01-26-2009, 10:21 PM
No, I meant the elevator... or is that what you were referring to?

What is an elevator used for?

Is that your question?

BoyntonStu

overtaker
01-26-2009, 11:26 PM
From the looks of that elevator video Stu, maybe you should be taking the stairs. :D

Q-Hack!
01-27-2009, 02:54 AM
Don't get me wrong, I know that it is strong enough to hold your weight. However, you have absolutely no fall protection on that elevator. If you are using it to get up and down then your definition of safe is a little different than mine. In my mind that would be an equipment elevator only.

BoyntonStu
01-27-2009, 07:15 AM
Don't get me wrong, I know that it is strong enough to hold your weight. However, you have absolutely no fall protection on that elevator. If you are using it to get up and down then your definition of safe is a little different than mine. In my mind that would be an equipment elevator only.

What information do you have to make this statement?

" However, you have absolutely no fall protection on that elevator."?

If the hoist cable snaps, the spring will lock the pipe clamp plates with 950 pounds of resistance to sliding.

BoyntonStu

Q-Hack!
01-27-2009, 01:26 PM
What information do you have to make this statement?

" However, you have absolutely no fall protection on that elevator."?

If the hoist cable snaps, the spring will lock the pipe clamp plates with 950 pounds of resistance to sliding.

BoyntonStu

Nice break assembly, but not what I am talking about...

OSHA regulation 1926.501(502(b)) requires a guard rail of 42 inches (1.1 meters). Obviously you don't have to comply with OSHA regulations unless this is located in a place of business (in the USA). The fall protection I was referring to is in case you loose your balance. That is what makes it unsafe.

gashead
01-27-2009, 01:36 PM

BoyntonStu

TABLE SAW: A large stationary power tool commonly used to launch wood
> projectiles for testing wall integrity.

Q-Hack!
01-27-2009, 01:50 PM

It wouldn't be funny, if it wasn't so true. :rolleyes:

BoyntonStu
01-27-2009, 02:04 PM
Nice break assembly, but not what I am talking about...

OSHA regulation 1926.501(502(b)) requires a guard rail of 42 inches (1.1 meters). Obviously you don't have to comply with OSHA regulations unless this is located in a place of business (in the USA). The fall protection I was referring to is in case you loose your balance. That is what makes it unsafe.

My elevator is 100% illegal!

In operation for 7 years.

The platform is steady and you must hold onto the switch for it to lift.

Hands off, power off.

The 1-1/4" Diameter pipe goes up the 3/4 pipe with you and the platform.

You can steady yourself by holding on during the 12 seconds it takes to reach the top.

It stops automatically upstairs with the platform level with the floor.

I have taken a 350 lb friend for a ride on it and he was smiles all the way.

About 75 people have been up it and not one person had anything to say other than, "That is great, cool, etc.")

**** regulations or you would not install HHO in your car!

BoyntonStu

BoyntonStu
01-27-2009, 02:22 PM

Exactly correct!

Kickback occurs on a table saw when the rear of the feed stock goes at an angle to the rip fence and the rising backside of the blade.

I am 100% confident that the screw hold down will prevent kickbacks.

I wish that you could visit and see it and/or try it yourself.

I have had several tables saws and by far, this is the safest way I have found to crosscut.

You must know what you are doing and what the physics is, if you want to be safe.

BoyntonStu

P.S. I can still count to 21 but I have to take my pants off first.

overtaker
01-27-2009, 03:41 PM
Don't you mean 20 1/2? If you could count to 21 then you would be more confident in searching for overunity. :D

Q-Hack!
01-28-2009, 12:18 AM
My elevator is 100% illegal!

BoyntonStu

You know, I think this is why I like you... You couldn't give a crap! :D

Gary Diamond
01-28-2009, 12:30 AM
You know, I think this is why I like you... You couldn't give a crap! :D

Stu's ok in my book too

H2OPWR
01-28-2009, 01:54 AM
Don't you mean 20 1/2? If you could count to 21 then you would be more confident in searching for overunity. :D

ROTFL. I can only count to 20 + 3 inches.

daddymikey1975
01-28-2009, 07:28 AM
ROTFL. I can only count to 20 + 3 inches.

but some girls like it that thick right?? HAHA

(as the joke goes)