PDA

View Full Version : perpetual motion?

daddymikey1975
01-11-2009, 03:57 PM
i found this thread... i've looked at the pics and the animations... can any physics experts here run some numbers and determine if it's plausible??

http://oupower.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2012

mike

Cadillac
01-12-2009, 09:02 AM
Does not give enough information to run any numbers off of to start with. His description makes it hard for me to even understand how he is claiming over unity. Sounds like he does not realize that the hammer has gravitational potential energy by the design which would be converted to kinetic energy. You would have to know the exact height at which the experiment took place in relation to the Earth's center. He also is inputting energy from his body (chemical energy) which is unaccounted for. All I see is air resistance and energy being converted to heat thus losing efficiency.

daddymikey1975
01-12-2009, 01:40 PM
Does not give enough information to run any numbers off of to start with. His description makes it hard for me to even understand how he is claiming over unity. Sounds like he does not realize that the hammer has gravitational potential energy by the design which would be converted to kinetic energy. You would have to know the exact height at which the experiment took place in relation to the Earth's center. He also is inputting energy from his body (chemical energy) which is unaccounted for. All I see is air resistance and energy being converted to heat thus losing efficiency.

it didn't look like it would work.. but i wasn't sure why.. that's pinpointed it.. HAHA... some people will try anything though huh?

lol

mike

Q-Hack!
01-12-2009, 08:50 PM
No this is not perpetual motion. It may run a real long time, but it will eventually stop. The mass at J needs to be great enough to push the mass at B enough to overcome the force required to drive the cam at AG.

All this, assuming that you build it in a vacuum and don't have to worry about parts wearing out due to friction.