PDA

View Full Version : Dry Cell Resevoirs, pumps or thermal feed?

bigjim56
01-09-2009, 12:15 PM
I've seen some talk of both a thermal feed and pump feed systems for use in the dry cell installations. What are you using? I would think gravity(thermal) feed would work well, provided the dry cell is placed lower than the reservoir.

The hydrogen bubbles up, so working w/a bottom feed supply should be the way to go. as the cell warms up the thermal cyclling will begin - w/the warmer rising and the cooler falling to the cells intake side.

Please add your thoughts and setups that are currently working for you.

Thanks,

bigjim56

H2OPWR
01-09-2009, 01:13 PM
I've seen some talk of both a thermal feed and pump feed systems for use in the dry cell installations. What are you using? I would think gravity(thermal) feed would work well, provided the dry cell is placed lower than the reservoir.

The hydrogen bubbles up, so working w/a bottom feed supply should be the way to go. as the cell warms up the thermal cyclling will begin - w/the warmer rising and the cooler falling to the cells intake side.

Please add your thoughts and setups that are currently working for you.

Thanks,

bigjim56

That is what I use. With the water level in the resevoir higher than the cell. As the HHO bubbles go up and out the exhaust the electrolite follows and returns through the bottom feed in the cell. The problem is that there is more current leakage through the holes in the cell. If you do nothing to block the current leakage you lose effeciency. Keeping the electrolite levels below the top exhaust holes improves effeciency but adds heat due to lack of electrolite movement. I have done many tests trying to use a pump to both move the e-lite and dislodge the bubbles from the plates. I have pumped up to 4 gallons per minute through the running cell. While it did slightly improve HHO output it was overall less effecient when adding in the amp draw of the pump.

coffeeachiever
01-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Mine is a gravity system. I'm a big fan of simplicity.
The resevoir output is 6 or 8 inches ( I haven't measured it, just made it fit ) above the generator. I keep the electrolyte level below the return line in the resevoir and it flows quite well.
My tubing also has no loops or major excess for the electrolyte to have to push through. Just direct up and down hill.
I agree with H2OPWR that a pump is generally unneccessary.

daddymikey1975
01-10-2009, 06:51 AM
and I too will agree with these gentlemen.. gravity works.. it's simple..

mike

bigjim56
01-11-2009, 09:34 AM
Thanks everybody!

I really would'nt want to put an additional burden of a pump draw on the alternator. I've been checking out the HHO vids on youtube, some interesting ideas there. Some of the water seperation units look pretty overwhelming to build, I personally believe in the KISS method. I would think the bubbling of the gas going thru the reservoir would help w/mixing and (w/a big enough reservoir) keep any splashing from the suction side of the vacuum hose. Maybe a brillo type of pad could be mounted by the suction area, w/a screen to ensure pieces of brillo from getting drawn into the engine. Any ideas here?

Also, one video showed a dry cell mounted inside a battery box along with the reservoir. Just the hoses and +/- wires protruded from the box. Neat idea.
He mentioned it was for a truck, to run it from the bed.

Thanks again,

bigjim56

H2OPWR
01-11-2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks everybody!

I really would'nt want to put an additional burden of a pump draw on the alternator. I've been checking out the HHO vids on youtube, some interesting ideas there. Some of the water seperation units look pretty overwhelming to build, I personally believe in the KISS method. I would think the bubbling of the gas going thru the reservoir would help w/mixing and (w/a big enough reservoir) keep any splashing from the suction side of the vacuum hose. Maybe a brillo type of pad could be mounted by the suction area, w/a screen to ensure pieces of brillo from getting drawn into the engine. Any ideas here?

Also, one video showed a dry cell mounted inside a battery box along with the reservoir. Just the hoses and +/- wires protruded from the box. Neat idea.
He mentioned it was for a truck, to run it from the bed.

Thanks again,

bigjim56

I have 2 resevoirs. The first one does all the circulation. The gas exits the top of the first one and in to the bottom of the second one. The gas the exit's the second resevoir at the top and through the bubbler. The idea is that any splashing, expansion, foam, etc will be trapped in the second resevoir. They both have sight tubes so I can monitor electrolite levels. Works great.