PDA

View Full Version : Mild steel for proto-typing

gdr12
01-03-2009, 06:42 PM
I have a bunch of 18 gauge mild steel and was wandering if I could use it to experiment with different cell designs instead of SS. Would the testing give similar results to SS for a short term experiment or should I just bite the bullet and buy the SS right off? Thanks!

jriggs_18
01-03-2009, 07:33 PM
Dont do it, just get the Stainless, the water will turn to goo in no time. You will not be able to do any worthwhile experimentation with regular steel

gdr12
01-03-2009, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the quick response. I was afraid it would cut down on visibility.

daddymikey1975
01-04-2009, 06:19 AM
Thanks for the quick response. I was afraid it would cut down on visibility.

visibility would be the least of your problems. What happens is that the process of electrolysis 'corrodes' or oxydizes the electrodes. Steel is too 'weak' for this process and all the impurities (carbon?) and all the junk that's in the metal will leech out into your electrolyte solution. When the regular steel rusts you'll have all that garbage floating around in your water for brick in a bath designs and it'll plug up your stuff if you use a dry cell.

definitely get some 316L stainless. once you commit to a plate size/design you can tear it down and reconfigure as many times as you want. The stainless isn't really 'consumable' ... you would be money, time, and frustration ahead to just get SS in the beginning.

I hope this helps.
mike