PDA

View Full Version : Capacitance in an HHO generator

daddymikey1975
01-03-2009, 11:11 AM
Hey folks.. I was reading on a 'taboo' site and it got me to wondering.. these HHO generators are in essence a large capacitor right??

does anyone have the ability to test and see what the capacitance is of one of these dry cells??

I was just wondering.

Jriggs, you might be interested in this thread and where i'm going in the near future...

mike

jriggs_18
01-03-2009, 11:35 AM
what are you wanting to know the capacitance for? my guy instinct thinks resonance but who knows...

Q-Hack!
01-03-2009, 01:24 PM
The easiest way is to buy a Digital Multimeter that can measure capacitance.

There is a cheaper way to measure the capacitance by charging up through a resistor and using the formula C=T/R however this method tends to be difficult to measure when you take into account that HHO generators are moving targets. As the water heats up it will change the capacitance value.

To set it up:

---------Switch------Resistor------------------
|...............................|.............|
Battery........................HHO.......voltmeter
|...............................|.............|
-----------------------------------------------

C = capacitance in farads
T = time in seconds required to charge to 63% of the battery voltage
R = resistance in ohms of the resistor

Good luck!

alpha-dog
01-03-2009, 04:26 PM
I have a capacitance inductance meter at work. I was going to fill my generator with electrolite solution and measure. I measured a switch plate capacitor with .04 shower pan liner as a dialectric and it measured 100pf. The wider the gap between plates the less capacitance. Also, capacitance in series when equal value will divide by two, reactance will increase.

Off the top of my head

CT = 1/C1 + 1/C2 (capacitance in series)

Xc=1/2pie*F(frequency)*C(capacitance) (capacitive reactance)

Q-Hack can correct my mistakes. I didn't verify the formulas

daddymikey1975
01-03-2009, 04:44 PM
what are you wanting to know the capacitance for? my guy instinct thinks resonance but who knows...

I was reading this thread http://www.overunity.com/index.php?topic=2813.0

and they kept talking about banks of capacitors.. I'm assuming (cuz I didn't read a whole lot about it) that they use a 3 phase motor wired using 2 phases and some capacitors to 'make' the third phase and they can drive an alternator which produces enough power to run itself..

Where I was going with this was to try and replace their capacitor banks with HHO generators... just for the fun of it HAHA...

any ideas??
I have no idea what a RotoVerter is for certain but I jus thought I'd pass it along

mike

jriggs_18
01-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Im gonna need a few weeks to get up to speed with everything at overunity.com then I can maybe add something useful. Ive never heard of that site before, I will add it to the list though

daddymikey1975
01-04-2009, 06:15 AM
Im gonna need a few weeks to get up to speed with everything at overunity.com then I can maybe add something useful. Ive never heard of that site before, I will add it to the list though

I got the website from your list LOL...

I haven't read much from their site, however I did read a post or two about the RotoVerter and immediately thought we may be able to substitute a HHO generator (very large one haha) in place of the capacitance bank..although I do not know what for or what purpose it would serve yet HAHA... again, just my mind wandering around.

I thought I'd share.
mike

alpha-dog
01-05-2009, 04:52 PM
I had a chance to measure my test generator today ( +NNNN--NNNN+).

Accross one cell block ( +NNNN- ) = 974uf
leakagae is = 88.8ma

It's looking more like a battery than a capacitor.

daddymikey1975
01-05-2009, 07:38 PM
it does look a bit more like a battery...

thanks for the info

mike

Q-Hack!
01-06-2009, 04:19 AM
I had a chance to measure my test generator today ( +NNNN--NNNN+).

Accross one cell block ( +NNNN- ) = 974uf
leakagae is = 88.8ma

It's looking more like a battery than a capacitor.

Remember that the HHO generators contain a liquid that conducts electricity. A Capacitor has a dielectric that does not. As a result HHO generators will act like a very leaky capacitor.

If you have dissimilar metals in your HHO generator and your electrolyte is acidic, then it will act as a battery. Think; penny and nail in a lemon. Otherwise it is acting just like a real leaky capacitor. Hence the difficulty in designing a circuit around them.

daddymikey1975
01-06-2009, 06:00 AM
Remember that the HHO generators contain a liquid that conducts electricity. A Capacitor has a dielectric that does not. As a result HHO generators will act like a very leaky capacitor.

If you have dissimilar metals in your HHO generator and your electrolyte is acidic, then it will act as a battery. Think; penny and nail in a lemon. Otherwise it is acting just like a real leaky capacitor. Hence the difficulty in designing a circuit around them.

Q-Hack.. just curious (because I can't remember from school) what to electrolytic capacitors use for their dielectric? I thought it was something similar to what we're using... (I could be wrong)

then the next question is why can't we use what they use ?? would it help or hinder with HHO generation??
maybe i'm chasing the wrong rabbit.. HAHA...

mike

Q-Hack!
01-06-2009, 06:27 AM
Q-Hack.. just curious (because I can't remember from school) what to electrolytic capacitors use for their dielectric? I thought it was something similar to what we're using... (I could be wrong)

then the next question is why can't we use what they use ?? would it help or hinder with HHO generation??
maybe i'm chasing the wrong rabbit.. HAHA...

mike

An electrolytic capacitor uses a conductive liquid as one of the plates... not as the dielectric. The dielectric is still a non-conductive material, usually something like aluminium oxide.

daddymikey1975
01-06-2009, 07:27 AM
oh ok, that clears things up.

thanks
mike