PDA

View Full Version : Flow Problem

Bassman
12-29-2008, 11:09 PM
I just got my dry cell installed and the first test resulted in gas forming in the input line and then as pressure builds, it then flows through the cell and gives a lot of output, then stalls for a while, starting a new cycle.
How can I get a steady flow in one direction?
Maybe a check valve? I am using 3/8" soft plastic lines. Does anyone make a plastic check valve in that size?

H2OPWR
12-29-2008, 11:48 PM
McMaster Carr sells the check valves you are looking for but I have had no problems at all with gas flowing out the input. How about some pic's maybe we could help without you spending money.

daddymikey1975
12-30-2008, 07:21 AM
sometimes the height of the reservoir, in relation to the cell, can help or hinder this problem.

pics would help us to help you as well.

hydrotinkerer
12-30-2008, 09:20 AM
I just got my dry cell installed and the first test resulted in gas forming in the input line and then as pressure builds, it then flows through the cell and gives a lot of output, then stalls for a while, starting a new cycle.
How can I get a steady flow in one direction?
Maybe a check valve? I am using 3/8" soft plastic lines. Does anyone make a plastic check valve in that size?

What is your setup(how many plates and neutrals)?

Bassman
12-30-2008, 09:35 AM
It reminds me of a coffee pot the way it perks. You are right about the low flow. It is only drawing 5 amps. I am still conditioning it. Pictures may be hard as it is between the grill and radiator. I will try. Thanks

Bassman
12-30-2008, 09:42 AM
what is your setup(how many plates and neutrals)?

-nnnnn+nnnnn-

Bassman
12-30-2008, 10:23 AM
sometimes the height of the reservoir, in relation to the cell, can help or hinder this problem.

pics would help us to help you as well.

The output from the tank to the cell is about 8" higher. The output from the cell to the tank is about 16". The tank holds about 3/4 gallon and I have the input to the tank just above the liquid level. The output of the tank to the bubbler is about 4" above the tank input from the cell. Pictures to follow.

coffeeachiever
12-30-2008, 08:02 PM
-nnnnn+nnnnn-

Try using four neutrals per set instead of five. I set mine up with four per set based on EBN's reccomendation and my flow is fine.

Edit: it occurs to me a few minutes later that I have eight more plates in my setup too. Not sure how that will affect amp draw if you reconfigure yours. Might just be a try and see thing.

Painless
12-30-2008, 08:22 PM
Bassman,

What you're describing is typical of a cell where the hoses both to the cell and back to the reservoir are not in a straight run. Make sure that the hoses make as straight a run up or down as applicable and do not allow any loops of dips to form.

Russ.

daddymikey1975
12-30-2008, 08:52 PM
Bassman,

What you're describing is typical of a cell where the hoses both to the cell and back to the reservoir are not in a straight run. Make sure that the hoses make as straight a run up or down as applicable and do not allow any loops of dips to form.

Russ.

I was getting ready to type this as I read it.

Also wouldn't hurt to try and lower the reservoir a bit as well

mike

Bassman
12-31-2008, 02:26 AM
I lowered the level in the storage tank and increased the solution strength. I got the amps up to 8 and the flow started getting better. I then made a small trip in town to give it time to mix in and when I returned, it looked a lot better. I do have a loop in one line in order to get it through the truck body to my storage tank but it is only about 2 inches higher.
I am going to run it this way for a couple of days and let it burn in and then increase the solution strength again. I am planning on getting it to 15 amps before I call it good.

Oh and by the way, the scan gauge showed my average mileage in town was 20.4 miles to the gallon. Not bad at 8 amps in a crew cab 5.4 engine. I'm very pleased. The only other thing that I am using is a PWM.

daddymikey1975
12-31-2008, 06:33 AM
Bassman as Painless can tell you (and others if you pick a search engine of your choice) the scan gauge isn't very accurate at calculating MPG.. it uses inputs from a few sensors that may give incorrect readings when HHO is introduced ..

the only way to really get accurate readings is miles driven per fillup

Bassman
12-31-2008, 11:54 AM
Bassman as Painless can tell you (and others if you pick a search engine of your choice) the scan gauge isn't very accurate at calculating MPG.. it uses inputs from a few sensors that may give incorrect readings when HHO is introduced ..

the only way to really get accurate readings is miles driven per fillup

I realize that but continually monitoring it does give a pretty accurate indication of whether its going up or down. I will tell you that I have checked my scan gauge everytime that I fill up with gas and it has been accurate to 1/10th gallon each time and so far the MPG has been just as accurate. That isn't saying that it will be the next time.

daddymikey1975
12-31-2008, 03:43 PM
I realize that but continually monitoring it does give a pretty accurate indication of whether its going up or down. I will tell you that I have checked my scan gauge everytime that I fill up with gas and it has been accurate to 1/10th gallon each time and so far the MPG has been just as accurate. That isn't saying that it will be the next time.

do you have any electronic mods??

efie, map/maf enhancer or o2 extenders installed yet??

mike

Bassman
01-22-2009, 09:55 PM
I am working on the EFIE now, As soon as I get it built, I will let you know if it improves. I have increased my solution strength and have the cell running at 15 amps. The mileage has improved some in town but gets worst at highway speeds. I think that the output is the main factor. Probably not enough for the higher speeds.
I do see an improvement in mileage on the highway but not as much as in town.
My gaskets are leaking also and I am going to change them out and then I will increase the solution more before I check the output volume.

daddymikey1975
01-23-2009, 07:59 AM
let us know what you come up with for output.

mike