PDA

View Full Version : HHO on a two-stroke engine?

Bluesilvergreen
12-28-2008, 09:55 AM
Hi!

I'm very pleased that I found this forum and after watching many videos on youtube.com and reading some posts here in this forum I get to a point, where I want to build a dry cell on my own.

But my question is: Has someone here in ths forum has experience with a two-stroke engine in a car? The fuel is mixed with oil 1:50 for lubrication and is mixed with the air in a horizontal carburetor.

I'm planning to insert the HHO-pipe between the air-filter and the carburetor right before the butterfly.

The engine has only a displacement of 37 CID (600 ccm / 0.6 litres). The actual consumption is about 23 mpg. And thats not really good for such a small engine.

I just drive this car in the city to work (around 9 miles).

Does it make sense to put an HHO generator in this car, due to run the first and last few miles without HHO to get the water out?

Anyway I'm searching now for 316L Plates.
Can I also use 304 or 316Ti instead or is the titanium in the last one not a good choice?

Bluesilvergreen!

Painless
12-28-2008, 01:46 PM
As far as I'm concerned, it's worth putting HHO on a vehicle if you wish to gain through reduced costs with it.

I would say to be careful with a 2-stroke though, they are more prone to flashing back through the inlet system than a 4-stroke. Make sure you have some GOOD flashback protection on your system, a bubbler is a must but I would go further and put some kind of auto-resetting device between the bubbler and the intake.

As for the oil/gas mix, this will naturally be an issue if you want to run on just HHO, but shouldn't matter for running hybrid. The only thing I can think of is that the engine should, theoretically, use less gas for the same power output / rpm with HHO which would reduce the amount of oil getting into the engine? You may need to increase the oil to fuel mix ratio slightly perhaps?

Best of luck! Please let us all know how things progress!

Russ.

Bluesilvergreen
12-28-2008, 02:24 PM
OK, thanks for your answer, painless!

I guess I just need a small LPM for my small engine (Lets say about 700ml per minute). Is that right?

What about the fact of getting the water out of the engine/exhaust running the last few miles on gas? Or can I run the HHO-gen the whole time. What concerns me, is the mixture-ratio of the oil/gas not too rich and not too lean.

A question about the flashback: When the HHO ignites very often until the flashback, this must be less efficient because the HHO between the flashback and the intake is burned and useless for the engine?

I've read, that the combination of HHO and oil isn't that good, because the oil get's useless for lubrication and just burns.

Painless
12-28-2008, 03:55 PM
I'm not sure, to be honest, as I don't have any personal 2-stroke experience with HHO. I can only hypothesize based upon my knowledge of HHO in ICE's and what I know of 2-stroke engines.

As concerns the backfire, you are correct, but this could be limited by placing the flashback arresting device very close to the intake. Also, if you get that many flashbacks that it becomes an issue, you should take a step back and re-think anyway.

As for the ideal amount, I would start at 0.1 LPM and slowly work your way up, measuring and analyzing as you go.

Don't worry about the water, this will be steam vapor due to the heat of combustion until a little while after it leaves your exhaust.

Bluesilvergreen
12-29-2008, 06:38 AM
Ok, thanks again, painless!

So, whats the best way to go for such a little amount of HHO? :

A 5n1 or 4n1 6"x6" dry cell with just a little amount of NaOH, so that the amps don't get very high or should i shrink the size of the cell to let's say 3"x3" with a higher ratio of NaOH due to efficiency of the cell (MMW)?

I just want to know, because of planning.

What about the 304 plates? I have easy access to them.

Painless
12-29-2008, 01:45 PM
Get yourself 7 lowes switch plate covers and build my 7 plate PDC from my youtube video. Check my thread for a link to the video that shows how to build it.

H2OPWR
12-30-2008, 05:29 PM
From what I know about two cycle engines from my days as a teenager with dirt bikes. I would not be concerned with oil burning due to HHO. Two cycle engines run the air/oil/fuel mixture through the crank case before being combusted. That is where the needed lubrication takes place. I would be very concerned with flash back as any flash back would flash through the crank case before exiting the carb. The thought of a crank case full of HHO igniting is very frightning. Yours may be different than the motorcycle engines I worked on but I would be very sure before I risked blowing my engine apart. I do not want to discorage anyone from trying HHO but I would do my research first on your engine.

Bluesilvergreen
12-31-2008, 06:00 AM
Ok, I searched the wikipedia for a good schematic, but what I found so far is only in german (I am from germany), but the animated picture is good to understand: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zweitaktmotor

There is a little check-valve at the intake, so there couldn't get any flash-back out to the carburator, but what H2OPWR mentioned, that the flash-back gets to the new air just been into the crank thats unburned, so that the fresh air-HHO-fuel-oil-mix (what a word) ignites in the crank.

Does somebody of you know, what the ignition temperature of a gas-HHO-mixture is? Is it lower or higher than just with gas?

By the way, this is my car: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trabant_(Pkw) (It's a little bit down the site - called "Trabant 601 (P601)")

So I will now ask some guys here in germany what they think about it.

clauxel
01-05-2009, 02:54 PM
hi im clauxel and i am looking for some help how to build my own pwm is their any body who can send me a design of one and what parts i need amd some instructions by the way i am not that good in electronics but i can get some help i am building a 21 plate sell still testing but i am geting some tempreture to rise thanks in advance

Smoky
01-06-2009, 03:03 AM
Clauxel, grabbing someones thread and posting something totally unrelated is called "Hijacking" and is considered very rude. You will get better results if you just start your own thread! enough said. there are many PWM's on the market, the one I use is "Restar" found at www.restarpwm.com/products.htm it controls both the coil and element circuits. hope this helps.