PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to seperate the HHO to HH and O

theramsey3
12-23-2008, 02:52 PM
I have been trying to come up with ways to separate the hydrogen from the oxygen. I have an idea however I don't know if it will work the way I think it may. I think if we redesign our cells to catch the hydrogen and the oxygen we could pump pure hydrogen into the intake eliminating the oxygen problem by simply venting it into the atmosphere. If my train of thought is correct then the hydrogen will be produced by one electrode and oxygen by the other so why cant we build cells that separate the two gases? I think we could utilize larger gaps and seal each side of the neutral plates to catch only one gas with something like 1/16" acrylic. I will try to come up with a prototype sometime in the next few days(or weeks if my luck stays the way its been this week.) I have not claimed to be a physicist or an engineer so there may be holes in my theory and I would appreciate any thoughts or criticism on this idea.

Q-Hack!
12-23-2008, 03:43 PM
If you come up with a design that will work in a vehicle, then please share. A few of us have been toying with this idea for a while now. Creating something that works on the bench for short periods of time is relatively easy . Just not suitable for in the vehicle. The main problem is this:

While hydrogen is created on the negative plate and oxygen on the positive. The unconnected (neutral) plates generate both. Hydrogen on the more negative side and oxygen on the more positive side.

The easiest set up is just to use a single positive plate and a single negative plate. Each separated by the internal container, with the current flowing through. The problem is that it takes huge amounts of current to get anything useful out of it. It also gets hot with extended periods of use, so some sort of thermal reduction would be required.

If, however, you could come up with some sort of membrane that would fit in between each of the plates, allow the current to flow through but not the hydrogen. (hydrogen is smaller than oxygen) Then you could easily separate the two using unconnected plates. Back in the old days, they used an asbestos membrane to do this...

coffeeachiever
12-23-2008, 05:40 PM
The most accepted method of seperating the gasses that I know of is to do it in the bubbler with magnets or electro magnets. A dividing wall is placed in the top half of the bubbler and the magnets are placed toward the bottom.

VanHalen
12-23-2008, 06:32 PM
Just a question, why separate the hydrogen and oxygen? Air is good for the combustion process, that's how turbo and super chargers work introducing more air. So wouldn't more air increase power?

daddymikey1975
12-23-2008, 06:45 PM
VanHalen.
we're not trying to create more power. Air IS good for the combustion process... here's the caveat...

while piping HHO into our engines will act as a catalyst to more completely burn the fuel, the additional oxygen is the compromise... it's unwanted. This additional oxygen is why we have to build EFIE's and use extenders, or MAP/MAF enhancers, etc. The car can't tell if the hydrogen is in there, but it SURE can tell the extra oxygen is there so we must compensate since the computer won't.

if we pump straight hydrogen in there we won't have this dilemma.

I hope this helps
mike

hydrotinkerer
12-23-2008, 07:31 PM
I built a 3 cell series just to play with separating h and o. In the process of assembling the housing I broke it(acrylic). I did manage to save my separator plates. I have a pic(not a good one). It is made with 1/8" acrylic and silk. My thinking is keeping my plate spacing within 3/16" or less.

VanHalen
12-23-2008, 07:41 PM
DaddyMikey1975 thanks that clears up a lot. Lol I had always wondered why you would want to split them, I understand now.

hydrotinkerer
12-23-2008, 09:24 PM
If someone had a bottle of hydrogen and hooked it to their vehicle. Metered the flow of hydrogen that would put the whole h separate from o to rest. I would think you would only need about 300-600m/lpm depending on engine size.

Q-Hack!
12-24-2008, 12:15 AM
The most accepted method of seperating the gasses that I know of is to do it in the bubbler with magnets or electro magnets. A dividing wall is placed in the top half of the bubbler and the magnets are placed toward the bottom.

I have seen this claim several times on the web, yet I have never seen a working model. I honestly don't know enough about the ionization of atoms to know for sure if it is viable. I suspect that the lack of videos on youtube, that would show this process, says something about its validity.

coffeeachiever
12-24-2008, 01:19 AM
I have seen this claim several times on the web, yet I have never seen a working model. I honestly don't know enough about the ionization of atoms to know for sure if it is viable. I suspect that the lack of videos on youtube, that would show this process, says something about its validity.

That may be true, but I am going to try it anyway. No harm in trying. The experiment Painless did with magnets for electrodes has given me some hope of success with it. If it does work then it's one more thing we know we can do. If not, it's one more thing we know we can't.

Q-Hack!
12-24-2008, 03:54 PM
That may be true, but I am going to try it anyway. No harm in trying. The experiment Painless did with magnets for electrodes has given me some hope of success with it. If it does work then it's one more thing we know we can do. If not, it's one more thing we know we can't.

I look forward to your results :)

Dave Nowlin
12-25-2008, 11:08 AM
Nitrous works in race cars partially because it furnishes it's own oxygen. When you add additional fuel without adding additional oxygen why wouldn't that inhibit the combustion process a little. You are in fact adding a fuel which is more efficient that gas while still using the same amount of atmospheric air for combustion. This atmospheric air is only 21% oxygen so it appears you are creating deficiences.

Dave Nowlin

theramsey3
12-25-2008, 08:08 PM
Nitrous also works by cooling the air to make it more dense and you also have to add extra fuel to compensate for the extra oxygen and air. More fuel more power. The object I have in mind is to only add hydrogen and allow the computer to self correct for the added fuel because the oxygen level in the exhaust will be decreased therefore the computer will reduce the amount of fuel it puts into the mixture the whole point of this is to "plug and play" and not have to adjust efie's or maf enhancers and also hopefully see a decent fuel mileage increase without any affect on driveability due to the computer completely controlling the fuel mixture ratio. The second big question is how much fuel will the computer cut without setting a cel? On that note i am going to go to my local welding supply shop and (if it doesn't cost too much) rent a tank of hydrogen and a regulator and adjustable flow meter to find out on my '02 durango 4.7l 4x2 and on my 92 ranger 2.3l 4x2.

theramsey3
12-25-2008, 11:20 PM
coffee I would like to hear more about the electromagnets. I had the same idea about electromagnets; but I haven't found any solid information about this yet. do you have any links? Between attempting to separate the two gases in the cell and an electromagnet we should get nearly pure hydrogen. Any ideas? Is the hydrogen attracted to the north or south pole of the magnet?

coffeeachiever
12-26-2008, 01:06 AM
coffee I would like to hear more about the electromagnets. I had the same idea about electromagnets; but I haven't found any solid information about this yet. do you have any links? Between attempting to separate the two gases in the cell and an electromagnet we should get nearly pure hydrogen. Any ideas? Is the hydrogen attracted to the north or south pole of the magnet?

Ihave been searching feverishly for the link that shows just how to do it. I have the hard copy here at the house somewhere,but the URL did not print with it. It's like the web site just vanished. I will do the experiment next week and post my results here.

daddymikey1975
12-26-2008, 08:00 AM
Putting a EFIE is easier and better.

It has been shown that HHO is a lot more explosive than the HH or the O by itself.

Shane, While I agree that the combination of HHO is more explosive than the HH or O by itself consider this..

What we're doing right now, is trying to use the HHO to supplement the fuel in our cars. The HHO catalyzes the fuel to help it burn completely thereby giving us the maximum efficiency from the fuel. in this way, the HHO is effectively a 'fuel additive' if you will... the unfortunate part, is that by having the oxygen in there with it, it confuses our car's computers and causes us grief so we put in the EFIE.. by removing only the oxygen part, this removes the explosive nature of the gas (which in a sense is good..) and we still keep the 'additive' or catalyzing effect of the whole process without the distraction of the extra oxygen.

Consider if you will the explosive nature of HHO by itself.. then the explosive nature of the A/F mixture in your combustion chamber. each of these mixtures will have a different flash point, burn rate, etc. (if my ideas are correct.) by combining 2 different explosives into the same chamber and igniting them, there would effectively be 2 separate explosions.. while they seem to happen at the same time, isn't is apparent that the timing in our vehicles (when HHO is added) is adjusted to compensate for this?? then we need MORE HHO to recover the lost power from the timing adjustment?? So you see, by having that little stinking oxygen molecule in there, it creates some havoc for us.

Although, on the flip side, separating these 2 guys seems to present it's own challenges.

And as a side note, I have no references to share to support my theory... it's simply a mental concoction that I came up with based on my knowledge of HHO and internal combustion engines. I DO agree however that if we were putting pure hydrogen into our engines as a catalyst, it would require much less quantity when compared to the same achieved result from HHO.

I hope this helps
mike
(and if my ideas are misguided, please someone point me in the right direction :) )

daddymikey1975
12-26-2008, 08:03 AM
Ihave been searching feverishly for the link that shows just how to do it. I have the hard copy here at the house somewhere,but the URL did not print with it. It's like the web site just vanished. I will do the experiment next week and post my results here.

Coffee, how many pages is the hard copy?? I'm wondering if it would be practical to scan it and maybe post it if you have time and don't mind??

just an idea.

thanks
mike

H2OPWR
12-26-2008, 02:20 PM
Ramsey, To answer the question you ask on my old thread. I have spent some time on researching and even trying to lower the voltage through a transformer. I did manage to get it working and producing gas but kept burning out PWM's. I need to build some heavy duty diodes and try again. I went in another direction trying to eliminate current leakage through the holes. Although I think having a good low voltage supply and no neutral plates would be the correct answer the device lowering the voltage would have to have little or no current loss or you would be defeating the purpose. If what you are trying to do is seperate the hydrogen from the oxygen that should be possible. Even in gas form the same principles apply to HHO gas as they do as water before being seperated. One is attracted to + and the other is attracted to -. If you had a horizontal gas supply tube with the HHO entering the center and tubes connected to either end of the horizontal supply tube you should be able to seperate the oxygen and hygrogen with a strong positive charge on one end of the supply tube and a strong negative charge on the other end of the supply tube. Just a suggestion would be to use longer heavy guage wire to supply the HHO gen. With the negative wire make a couple of hundred wraps of wire around one end of the supply tube (all the wrap's would create a huge negatively charged magnetic field) and do the same to the other end with the positive lead. With the gas entering the supply tube in the middle the hydrogen should flow one direction while the oxygen should flow the other direction. You would have to be careful not to have more exit pressure on either end or I think the pressure would defeat the process. I am not sure this would work but I would think it would. You would also have to have a diode in line to stop the reverse pulse when the PWM cycles off or your magnet field would pulse inverse and confuse everything.

coffeeachiever
12-26-2008, 03:28 PM
Coffee, how many pages is the hard copy?? I'm wondering if it would be practical to scan it and maybe post it if you have time and don't mind??

just an idea.

thanks
mike

I don't mind a bit except that can't. I'm still doing everything from my iPhone. Instead of getting my computer repaired, I'm throwing everything into getting my truck to use the HHO correctly. Also Christmas for my kids and my daughter's birthday made the credit card sizzle.
I guess what I can do is just manually key it in. I'll try to have that done for you by Monday night.

daddymikey1975
12-26-2008, 06:02 PM
I don't mind a bit except that can't. I'm still doing everything from my iPhone. Instead of getting my computer repaired, I'm throwing everything into getting my truck to use the HHO correctly. Also Christmas for my kids and my daughter's birthday made the credit card sizzle.
I guess what I can do is just manually key it in. I'll try to have that done for you by Monday night.

you don't have to do all that.. if you don't have a scanner or anything don't worry about it. you got more important things to do than type on your phone... lol..

coffeeachiever
12-26-2008, 08:35 PM
you don't have to do all that.. if you don't have a scanner or anything don't worry about it. you got more important things to do than type on your phone... lol..

Im building it this coming week. Hope to have it done by Tuesday. If it works, you can bet your a$$ I'll be posting exactly how I did it. The system uses electromagnets on the bubbler.

theramsey3
12-27-2008, 02:17 AM
The whole thing about the pressure difference has made me want to step away from that idea I thought about that about a week ago but have been deterred by the thought of how am I going to keep the two gasses at the same pressure because they are different size molecules like I said I am not a physicist I have thought about using check valves for that purpose use a tee with a hose coming in then a check valve on both sides of the tee going in to a small chamber on both sides then a hose on each to feed to the appropriate place, use the hydrogen and just vent the oxygen. What gauge and length transformer wire would you think I would need for that? What ever I finally wind up using total system draw should not exceed 45 amps including the cell which the dry cell I just acquired is pulling 20 amps with a radioshack homemade pwm that is rated at 30 amps. Temperature will also be an issue if I use PVC then again I could always use CPVC. I don't think I will run the electromagnet off of the pwm I will power it off of the 90amp constant duty solenoid that powers the pwm and that should handle that portion of it.

daddymikey1975
12-27-2008, 06:57 AM
Im building it this coming week. Hope to have it done by Tuesday. If it works, you can bet your a$$ I'll be posting exactly how I did it. The system uses electromagnets on the bubbler.

AWESOME .. I can't wait to see how this works.

thanks coffee...

mike

h2gen
12-27-2008, 03:17 PM
I have been trying to come up with ways to separate the hydrogen from the oxygen. I have an idea however I don't know if it will work the way I think it may. I think if we redesign our cells to catch the hydrogen and the oxygen we could pump pure hydrogen into the intake eliminating the oxygen problem by simply venting it into the atmosphere. If my train of thought is correct then the hydrogen will be produced by one electrode and oxygen by the other so why cant we build cells that separate the two gases? I think we could utilize larger gaps and seal each side of the neutral plates to catch only one gas with something like 1/16" acrylic. I will try to come up with a prototype sometime in the next few days(or weeks if my luck stays the way its been this week.) I have not claimed to be a physicist or an engineer so there may be holes in my theory and I would appreciate any thoughts or criticism on this idea.

The simplest and oldest design is the Hoffman Electrolysis Apparatus (you can find some of those on Amazon), while more recently the state of the art is to use membrane electrode assemblies (MEA) in reversible/regenerative fuel cells (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reversible_fuel_cell).

In modern electrochemistry nobody builds electrolyzers that do not separate hydrogen and oxygen gases - it's a dangerous explosive mix. All electrolyzers currently being used in chlorine production, desalinization plants or processing of hydrogenated oils have all been using some kind of membrane for separating the two gases. Most of current research is focusing on which kind of membrane to use.

The "HHO phenomenon" has largely ignored the huge body of existing technical literature about electrolysis - I used to tinker in my garage too, building all sorts of HHO devices and posting videos on youtube; then I opened an in electrochemistry book and found that all HHO devices out there (including the EBN dry cell) are way less advanced than what people were using in the early 1900s. Even 100 years ago they knew about monopolar and bipolar plates, current leakage, voltage drop between cells, different types of electrolytes, filter-press cells, diaphragms, membranes and more. Even the use of PWM is a well-known technique - pulsed/intermittent electrolysis is routiney used in electrodeposition.

What is fascinating about the HHO phenomenon is that in the process of re-inventing the wheel all the HHO garage inventors have come up with CHEAP ways of building electrolyzers. It is only a matter of time until some cheap ones producing separate H2 and O2 start popping up on ebay. For starters, here is one for $375...
http://peoplesnewenergy.com/home

Cheers,
H2GEN

h2gen
12-27-2008, 11:46 PM

You may find this link useful:

If anyone can find a cheaper electrolyzer with the same or greater production of separate gases (15 liters of H2 + 7.5 liters of O2 per hour) please let me know, I'm not sure I want to pay $375 for something like that...
Cheers,
H2GEN

coffeeachiever
12-28-2008, 12:36 AM
You may find this link useful:

If anyone can find a cheaper electrolyzer with the same or greater production of separate gases (15 liters of H2 + 7.5 liters of O2 per hour) please let me know, I'm not sure I want to pay $375 for something like that...
Cheers,
H2GEN

That's not that much gas. My unit puts out a minimum of 2 lpm. That's 1.33 lpm of H and .66 lpm of O2. That's makes it about 80 lph of just H. I'm not real impressed with that website other than how the unit looks. Most of us here can do what I'm doing. Just check back here later this coming week to see if my experiment in seperating the gasses works like I think it will. If so, you can just learn how to build your own here and not waste your time and money.

h2gen
12-28-2008, 02:16 AM
That's not that much gas. My unit puts out a minimum of 2 lpm. That's 1.33 lpm of H and .66 lpm of O2. That's makes it about 80 lph of just H. I'm not real impressed with that website other than how the unit looks. Most of us here can do what I'm doing. Just check back here later this coming week to see if my experiment in seperating the gasses works like I think it will. If so, you can just learn how to build your own here and not waste your time and money.

Hope your magnets idea work... I'll keep an eye out for your future posts.
Thanks,
H2GEN

coffeeachiever
12-29-2008, 12:29 AM
I just ordered some rubber coated neodymium magnets. I decided to go with those for now instead of electromagnets because of heat and amp draw issues with electromagnets. They will be here Wednesday, so it will be Thursday night or Friday before I have any results to report.

coffeeachiever
12-30-2008, 06:55 PM
Called the place I ordered the neodymium magnets from today. They are closed till Friday for the holidays so it will probably be Monday before I get the magnets. Because I am impatient by nature, I went and bought some cheap speakers to rip the magnets from so I could try this. I work late tonight and tomorrow night so I'll have some results from this on Thursday night. Going to run the gas through an aquarium stone so hopefully the smaller bubbles will be attracted to the magnets better.
If anyone has any other ideas, start firing.

daddymikey1975
12-30-2008, 07:26 PM
I'm impatient as well and I would have done the same thing.

I think you're on the right track.

mike

H2OPWR
12-30-2008, 08:23 PM

Coffee, I hope this works for you. I will be looking forward to your results. I am not sure but I have read several times that the H molecules are only half the size of the O molecules. I may be wrong but I think that the actual measurable volume will be close to 50 50. That still does not change the explosive power of the H just your measured results.

daddymikey1975
12-30-2008, 08:55 PM
I too was thinking that the individual H atoms may be smaller than a single O atom, 2 H atoms may be very close to same volume as one O atom. So it could be 50/50...

Someone else may know better how much smaller the H is than O

coffeeachiever
12-30-2008, 09:56 PM
Coffee, I hope this works for you. I will be looking forward to your results. I am not sure but I have read several times that the H molecules are only half the size of the O molecules. I may be wrong but I think that the actual measurable volume will be close to 50 50. That still does not change the explosive power of the H just your measured results.

I do believe the gentleman is correct. I will correct my erronious math posted above. At 2 lpm with a 50/50 measurable ratio of H to O, the actual H and O prduction would be 60 lpm.
Thank you. That saves me a few hours of confusion when the results are measured.

coffeeachiever
01-02-2009, 03:54 PM
I posted the results of the first test in the other gas seperation thread before I realized I should have posted them here. I'll do a recap and then post future results on this thread.

It will be Monday or Tuesday before my neomydmium magnets get here so I decided to experiment with a couple of cheap 20 oz speaker magnets just to see if the idea was plausible before I got too far into it. Got some interesting results.

I disconnected the HHO line from my breather and stuck it in a five gallon bucket of water with a bubbler stone on the end. The bubbles churned and clouded the water too much for me to see anything.

I then diconnected all but two plates. Still couldn't see or do anything under the water due to the volume of bubbles.

Next I halfway submerged the speaker magnets to see what they would do to the bubbles on the surface. Here's the good part. Many of the bubbles deviated from their straight path across the surface and curved toward the magnets! This is very encouraging and I can hardly wait till the more powerful magnets arrive to do some more tests. I will get everything set up for it between now and then.

daddymikey1975
01-02-2009, 06:32 PM
Thats awesome... sounds very promising.

I can't wait for some results...

Thanks for sharing
mike

coffeeachiever
01-09-2009, 09:33 PM
The magnets are in! Experiments start in the morning.
Here's what I'm going to do. If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know so I can try them all at once.
First I am going to attempt to seperate the gasses in the bubbler like others have said they have done. If those results aren't satisfactory, I'll make a "dry" tube after the bubbler and try to seperate them there. After that I'll put magnets on both tubes to see if that does any better.
I've only got two rare earth magnets because I had to sacrifice a couple of meals to get those. But I've got some standard magnets for one of the tubes.
If I don't get the results I'm hoping for, I'll rig up some electromagnets to combine with the neodymiums and see what happens with that.
Please give me any other ideas you guys may have even if you think they probably won't work. I'll try them anyway.

H2OPWR
01-09-2009, 09:43 PM
The magnets are in! Experiments start in the morning.
Here's what I'm going to do. If anyone has any other ideas, please let me know so I can try them all at once.
First I am going to attempt to seperate the gasses in the bubbler like others have said they have done. If those results aren't satisfactory, I'll make a "dry" tube after the bubbler and try to seperate them there. After that I'll put magnets on both tubes to see if that does any better.
I've only got two rare earth magnets because I had to sacrifice a couple of meals to get those. But I've got some standard magnets for one of the tubes.
If I don't get the results I'm hoping for, I'll rig up some electromagnets to combine with the neodymiums and see what happens with that.
Please give me any other ideas you guys may have even if you think they probably won't work. I'll try them anyway.

Can't wait for your results.

daddymikey1975
01-10-2009, 06:48 AM
me too..i'm preparing for a PVC and magnetic coil only electrolyzer.. i'm awaiting some results as well..

I can't think of anything to add though coffee...

mike

coffeeachiever
01-10-2009, 08:30 AM
me too..i'm preparing for a PVC and magnetic coil only electrolyzer.. i'm awaiting some results as well..

I can't think of anything to add though coffee...

mike

Ive been following your thread closely. I even looked at magnet wire at the shack. I hope it works.

daddymikey1975
01-10-2009, 08:32 AM
Ive been following your thread closely. I even looked at magnet wire at the shack. I hope it works.

me too.. I have some things coming (in the mail)

as soon as the stuff arrives (some time next week) I should be able to start getting some things together..

we'll see...

coffeeachiever
01-11-2009, 04:09 PM
Without question, the bubbles travel up much too fast for the magnets to have any effect. But....
The gasses are DEFINITELY affected by the magnets. Here's what happened:

In a 2" PVC pipe with a plastic divider-magnets about 2" from the bottom- divider about 1" above the magnets. The magnets are curved at a 45* angle and siliconed to the inside of the tube. Even with all but one cell disconnected the bubbles travel past the magnets like they're not even there. These are the neodymiums.
I then cleaned the magnets and siliconed them to the sides of a clear water bottle so I could get a better view. Some very tiny bubbles hung out around the magnets briefly before heading up. This happened consistently. The rest of the bubbles headed straight for the top.
Both of those tests were done with and without a bubble stone.
I then put the output tube in a five gallon bucket of water and held the magnets at the surface. Unquestionably the surface bubbles were attracted to the magnets. Interestingly, when the magnets were faced opposing each other about 1" apart, large bubbles formed between them.
So...results so far say that it is possible to seperate the gasses magnetically, but it may be more difficult than predicted. But what isn't?
As soon as I get a chance, I will try it in a dry tube after the bubbler. I'll let you know what happens.

jerzhere
01-25-2009, 04:13 AM
As soon as I get a chance, I will try it in a dry tube after the bubbler. I'll let you know what happens.

Did you try the dry tube? What I wonder is what if you had it setup in multiple stages? For instance, you have one or more bubblers that have the magnets and one or more dry tubes with magnets?

What if you have a bubbler and you have magnets that line the sides from top to bottom? North / South on different sides. This way, when the bubbles come out they will be attracted to the magnets more and more as the work their way up the bubbler.

Here is a video that shows separation via an h-tube type design. This works with out any magnets but I would image it would be hard to make efficient. I saw another post that talked about using a membrane. If the size of h and o molecules are different enough one could put something between the plates that would allow the current to flow but not allow the h and o to combine.... Just some thoughts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cbnVo4BUNI

coffeeachiever
01-26-2009, 05:00 PM
I have not had a chance to continue with the experiment yet. I do not have high hopes for the dry tube test, but I will wind up trying it just to make sure I'm not missing something.
The video you posted is very interesting, but it is an open bath design and the designer admittedly has issues with heat. He did successfully seperate the gasses though, didn't he? Perhaps his design could be incorporated into a circulating system that would keep heat under control. I have a couple of ideas to improve on what he has done that is probably better than the route I have been taking.
It would be helpful if Stu would share his design for connecting the tubes.

SmartScarecrow
01-26-2009, 06:40 PM
Dupont makes a material called Naflon I think it is ... has some very interesting properties that just might make for a way to extract H with out the O ... a couple fellows I know are in the "planning stages" of giving this a go to see how well it might work ...

my understanding is that the material is very expensive ... the design of the device will be similar in many ways to what folks are calling a dry cell, but it will require some subtle refinements to best leverage the characteristics of the Naflon material ... I think if you are interested in pursuing this course, a little Google-ing with key word "Naflon" would be in order ...

I was doing Faraday style electrolysis separating the gasses back in the mid 70's ... getting the H and O out of a device separately is not rocket science ... its been done for hundreds of years ... but doing it efficiently is a real problem ... our typical HHO generators have many times the performance of a Faraday style electrolysis device ...

Q-Hack!
01-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Dupont makes a material called Naflon I think it is ... has some very interesting properties that just might make for a way to extract H with out the O ... a couple fellows I know are in the "planning stages" of giving this a go to see how well it might work ...

my understanding is that the material is very expensive ... the design of the device will be similar in many ways to what folks are calling a dry cell, but it will require some subtle refinements to best leverage the characteristics of the Naflon material ... I think if you are interested in pursuing this course, a little Google-ing with key word "Naflon" would be in order ...

I was doing Faraday style electrolysis separating the gasses back in the mid 70's ... getting the H and O out of a device separately is not rocket science ... its been done for hundreds of years ... but doing it efficiently is a real problem ... our typical HHO generators have many times the performance of a Faraday style electrolysis device ...

I have heard of this, its one of the DSPE or Dry Solid Polymers that are supposed to be the cats meow of electrolysis.