PDA

View Full Version : boiling

mustangpro1
12-23-2008, 11:58 AM
ok i have my generator installed with a relay so it will only run when the truck is running i used about 3tbs of baking soda just to test before that i have it on a 86 ranger 4x4 2.9L i get 16.263 mpg i started the test but at about 26 miles
i stopped and checked and the generator was boiling in to the bubbler how do i stop that

VanHalen
12-23-2008, 12:20 PM
lower the electrolyte. lower to water level, lower the amps.

mustangpro1
12-23-2008, 06:40 PM
ok ill try that all so on the 86 ranger do i need a efie or o2 extender

VanHalen
12-23-2008, 07:34 PM
ok ill try that all so on the 86 ranger do i need a efie or o2 extender

Is it carbed or fuel injected? Just another note, on my generator I use the bubbler to catch whatever else is coming through the generator to an extent. Then I just dump the bubbler every once in a while. But if there's significant overflow, I wouldn't do it that way.

coffeeachiever
12-23-2008, 08:22 PM
To simplify what VanHalen said, it sounds like you've got too many volts running across to few plates. That and/or, as VanHalen already stated, it's too much electrolyte.
I'm assuming,from the sound of it, you are running an open bath cell. If that is the case, you might also want to try wrapping your cell in something nonconductive such as a cut up inner tube. This will slow down current leakage through the electrolyte and help reduce your amp draw.
I had the same problem with my first several generators. Boiling eventually caused my glue to fail on my PVC resevoir. Thanks to Painless for helping me figure that one out.

mustangpro1
12-23-2008, 09:48 PM
it is electronic injection and what does wraping the cell do you say current leakage is it the more amps the more heat more amps & more hho so how can i keep the high amps and keep the cell cool would a bigger bubbler help or having 2 bubblers the first one with water and the 2nd with nothing to keep water/steam out of the intake what kind of electro can you get local im sorry for all the ? its just when the cell is on the truck rsn more quite i didnt get the milage tho thanks last thing is there any live chat fourms

coffeeachiever
12-24-2008, 12:06 AM
In an open bath cell, current flows through all the electrolyte, not just in the cell where you want it. Your goal is to keep as much current in the cell and out of the electrolyte as possible. Cage the current within the cell so to speak. Wrapping the cell in a nonconductive material, such as inner tube, will help with that. It keeps the current from flowing freely throughout the bath and drawing unwanted amps(heat).
I am of the opinion that open bath cells will always have heat issues, but there are ways to slow it down.

VanHalen
12-24-2008, 12:43 AM
OK if its fuel injected start with o2 extenders. this is the cheepest way to go, just buy some 18 mm spark plug antifowlers and drill them out 1/2 in. stick the o2 sensor through these. If that doesn't work, go to a map or efie sensor.