PDA

View Full Version : Can I clean the can?

DrBrown
11-25-2008, 10:40 PM
I have a 4" PVC can that Ive been screwing with for the past couple weeks running the cell a couple hours here and there, watching my foul drain cleaner turn to brown foam. So I need to scrub down the container really good but I was afraid to use soap or bleach. Are those safe to use or will it cause the cell to be less productive later on? Thanks in advance.

HHOinKY
11-26-2008, 04:38 AM
I'd say steel wool/brillo it with soap and water, then rinse it off really good. then steel wool it again to clean off the excess soap?

daddymikey1975
11-26-2008, 06:50 AM
how about a plastic pot scrubby with some electrolyte solution ? (wear thick dishwashing gloves) and rinse with distilled water once completed ?

after all, it's PVC (drain material) and we're using drain cleaner.

I hope this helps

mike

coffeeachiever
11-26-2008, 09:56 AM
We clean our ss plates with dish soap. I don't see how it could hurt to clean other components so long as they were rinsed well.

DrBrown
11-26-2008, 10:25 AM
The plates I wasnt so worried about, but if I cleaned it with dial or something similar I was afraid I wouldnt be able to get all the film off the walls of the PVC and that it might react weird witht he catalyst. I'll just give it a scrub scrub and see how it works. Im definitely going to use distilled h2o and pure NaOH this time, no extra crap! Caustic soda is just horrible, it turns brown in 5 minutes.