PDA

View Full Version : Resetting ECU

NoMoGas
11-16-2008, 05:40 PM
The first trip I had with HHO, I had no electronic enhancements, just unhooking battery cable every time I turned off car to reset computer. I got 61 mpg, but it went down from there. I now have map enhancer and efie, and I am getting no gains. Has anyone tried to reset the computer every time the car is shut off? I was thinking of putting a battery shut off in the car so I don't have to open the hood every time. I have been trying all of the electronic stuff, but have not tried this.

HHOinKY
11-17-2008, 01:22 AM
61mpg? How far did you drive?

daddymikey1975
11-17-2008, 06:59 AM
and what's he driving?

NoMoGas
11-27-2008, 10:12 AM
Sorry, I have been out of town. I have a 97 civic. I was getting 32-33 mpg before I started any HHO mods. I put on a water4gas type system (which I have since changed to dry cell) and had ordered an EFIE and MAP enhancer, but had not been installed on the first several trials I did. My first trip was 117 miles and used 1.9 gal. Each time I turned off the engine I would disconnect the + cable and let sit overnight, or if it was a shorter time like a couple of hours, I would touch the + and - cables together (this drains the ecu and re-sets it). The next 2 trials I did were both over 120 miles and resulted in 40 mpg each time. I then installed the Map enhancer and EFIE and have been adjusting with not much success. I am just trying to find something that works.

NoMoGas
11-27-2008, 12:21 PM
One more note, I am currently back to the original 32 mpg I was getting before any mods. Has anyone tried resetting the computer like this on a long term basis. Getting initial results like this and have them go away is very frustrating, but is a motivation to keep trying and affirmation that HHO can produce mpg gains if we can overcome the computer issues.

HHOinKY, I live in Spencer Co., just outside Louisville. I heard of an alternative fuel group that meets, but I have not had time to meet with them.

H2OPWR
11-27-2008, 02:43 PM
One more note, I am currently back to the original 32 mpg I was getting before any mods. Has anyone tried resetting the computer like this on a long term basis. Getting initial results like this and have them go away is very frustrating, but is a motivation to keep trying and affirmation that HHO can produce mpg gains if we can overcome the computer issues.

HHOinKY, I live in Spencer Co., just outside Louisville. I heard of an alternative fuel group that meets, but I have not had time to meet with them.

Just a thought. Without a Scanguage ore something equivelent it is hard to tell but here is what I experienced on my first HHO equipped vehicle. This occurs more in cooler climates. When cold at startup your ECU ignores the O2 sensor readings and runs in a closed loop condition (pre determined fuel injector chart). Only after the O2 sensors warm up does your ECU accept readings,go into open loop, and adjust the air/fuel ratios. If you turn on the mod's before the ECU goes into open loop the ECU may never like the readings and just stay in closed loop. When this happens it does not matter what you do your fuel mileage will never inprove. Try warming up your car some before switching on the enhancements. Just one thought.

daddymikey1975
11-27-2008, 02:55 PM
and stop resetting the ECU everytime you turn off the car. leave it alone and let it adjust and get used to your car. you're gonna need to find out what the ECU thinks of your HHO stuff .. it can't do this if you keep zapping it's memory... you need to let it adjust, ride around with the HHO for a while and get a baseline... then methodically make small calculated adjustments one at a time without resetting the ECU each time. keep doing this until you achieve the desired MPG.

as evidence of how involved, methodical, and persistent you must be, please see the 'painless experiment in HHO' and read all the methods he has been through...

the key, is that there is no magical, one hour tune up and you're gettin 125% gains with no strife...

I hope this helps.
mike

HHOinKY
11-27-2008, 05:53 PM

If you find out when a meeting it, tell me.