PDA

View Full Version : Amoeba Cell Flash arrestor

BoyntonStu
11-13-2008, 06:31 PM
Amoeba Cell Flash arrestor

Magic flash arrestor that fits INSIDE the 1/4" tubing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lGp1aorKEY

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-lGp1aorKEY"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-lGp1aorKEY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

If there is enough interest, I would consider entering the flash arrestor market.

The Magic flash arrestor would come in 3" length of 1/4" ID tubing or a 3" length of 5/16 OD SS tubing.

I place the Magic flash arrestor it in my gas output line and forget about flashbacks.

BoyntonStu

Painless
11-13-2008, 08:29 PM
Very nice, Stu!

Don't suppose you'd care to share the build method?

By the way, you mentioned before (if I remember correctly) that you use aluminum for your cells end plates? What steps did you take to stop the electrolyte coming into contact with the aluminum? Did you use a 100% gasket before the end plates? What about where the hoses attached?

BoyntonStu
11-13-2008, 10:11 PM
Very nice, Stu!

Don't suppose you'd care to share the build method?

By the way, you mentioned before (if I remember correctly) that you use aluminum for your cells end plates? What steps did you take to stop the electrolyte coming into contact with the aluminum? Did you use a 100% gasket before the end plates? What about where the hoses attached?

Thanks,

The current Amoeba Cell does use aluminum pressure plates, not end plates. There is no gasket between it and the SS end plate.

You can see where leaked electrolyte ate away a line of aluminum.

The next Amoeba Cell will not use any aluminum, or in fact ordinary steel 6-32 screws and nuts. Only SS will be used.

As far as the Magic flash arrestor, the situation is like that of my failed plate adhesive experiments.

If you recall, I was asked many times what epoxy/adhesive was used and I did not reveal them. It turned out, that I saved many folks time and money with my experiments had they gone down that path.

The Magic flash arrestor is even more serious because of the danger involved.

I will trust a Magic flash arrestor made and tested by me to stop all flashes coming from any generator, reservoir, or bubbler made from any material including glass. That's my decision.

If I told you how I made it and you did not do exactly what I do, you could cause a big explosion.

On the other hand, if I made a Magic flash arrestor and tested it myself, I would know that it will work every time and if used correctly, will never wear out or need replacement.

Yes, it is simple, fits inside any 1/4" tube, and it is straightforward for me to make.

Consider this: I bake a special bread and I have given out my exact recipe to several people who liked my bread enough to ask for it. They could not duplicate the bread and had to throw out their results. why? I haven't the faintest idea.

You should get my point.

I hope that this helps.

BoyntonStu

daddymikey1975
11-14-2008, 07:37 AM
Very nice work Stu..

If you do decide to enter the Flash arrestor market, I'd definitely purchase 2 :-)

(are they for sale yet?? lol )

mike

BoyntonStu
11-14-2008, 09:41 AM
Very nice work Stu..

If you do decide to enter the Flash arrestor market, I'd definitely purchase 2 :-)

(are they for sale yet?? lol )

mike

Thanks,

I was thinking about the flash arrestor and what to call it.

The Amoeba Flash Arrestor name fits because it and the Amoeba Cell are the 2 smallest units of their type.

Let's see what interest there is.

What would be a fair price?

I have never sold anything.

BoyntonStu

Painless
11-14-2008, 09:53 AM
Stu,

When you have your final product, I would recommend setting up the arrestor with a cell connected to a bubbler you don't mind losing and doing a youtube video of you igniting the HHO 100 times in a row. That would be a great sales grabber.

BoyntonStu
11-14-2008, 11:07 AM
Stu,

When you have your final product, I would recommend setting up the arrestor with a cell connected to a bubbler you don't mind losing and doing a youtube video of you igniting the HHO 100 times in a row. That would be a great sales grabber.

Good suggestion, thanks.

I am inclined to make the Amoeba Flash Arrestor in a 5/16" OD SS tube rather than in soft tubing.

All one would need to do is to splice it into 1/4" tubing.

You heat the tubing and it will fit onto a 5/16" OD.

All my Amoeba Cells use 5/16" SS tubing.

I am now working on the Amoeba Bubbler.

This is fun!

BoyntonStu

P.S. A GIANT Amoeba is in the future that will have lots of output.

Is "Giant Amoeba" an oxymoron?

daddymikey1975
11-14-2008, 06:41 PM
Is "Giant Amoeba" an oxymoron?

Is "Military Intelligence" ?? LOL :-)

this is fun and Giant Amoeba is perfect.

BoyntonStu
11-14-2008, 09:48 PM
$1 each and I'll buy all you can make. :)

Seriously, it all depends on the amount of time involved and raw material. What is your time worth, what does it cost to make. How much profit do you want to make. Answer all these questions and that will give you a starting point.

Then you need to consider the market. For example:

1. Demand at $20 each might be 5 per month (or $100 gross sales).
2. Demand at $15 each might be 15 per month (or $225 gross sales).
3. Demand at $12.50 each might be 50 per month (or $625 gross sales).
4. Demand at $10 each might be 100 per month (or $1000 gross sales).

Now lets say it cost $3 and 10 minuets each to make. You have 2 hours a day 3 days a week or 12 days a month to spend making them, you could pump out 144 a month. You would be able to meet all demand so look at each scenario to determine profitability.

1. $100 - $15 = $85 net profit (less selling expense) for approx 1 hour construction time.

2. $225 - $45 = $180 net profit (less selling expense) for approx 2.5 hours construction time ($72 per hour).

3. $625 - $150 = $475 net profit (less selling expense) for approx 8.33 hours construction time ($57 per hour).

4. $1000 - $300 = $700 net profit (less selling expense) for approx 16.66 hours construction time ($42 per hour).

Now all this is an example and I have absolutely no clue as to; what it cost to make, how long it takes, or what the market demand is.

It could be a case where demand is:

1 at $20 each
10 at $15 each
25 at $12.50 each
27 at $10 each

(only way to find out is to actually test the market.....)

Sorry for the long post but I am kind of board right no with nothing better to do. :)

Wow! If is how you think when you are bored, you have brain cells to spare!

Excellent analysis and plan.

I will take your analysis seriously.

I will also follow the advice of Painless who suggested a demo video of 100 flash stops.

BoyntonStu

P.S. I made an Amoeba Flash Arrestor today from a 2" length of 0.3125 OD 304.

Is there a source for this tubing that is reasonable?

I am using tubes cut from a Goodwill coffee percolator stem!

daddymikey1975
11-15-2008, 06:13 AM
Stu, i worked for an engineer at one time (he was my boss at an automotive accessory shop) and he shared a neat little thing with me called job costing... WOW...now that's some number crunching..

basically, it's like this..

put a dollar figure on your time per hour and break it down accordingly to actual build time and we'll call it T (for time)

get a spreadsheet and break down the cost of materials... for example if you purchase a bulk item at 12.00 and you use 1/4 of it per arrestor your material cost would be 3.00
you want to do the same for ALL materials involved and leave out nothing. we'll call this M (material cost)

here's your magic formula

(M * 1.35) + T = ______________

and you'll make 35 percent profit from your materials (to offset gasoline, etc.. and can always be adjusted for the variables) and you get compensated for your time based on a number that you decide.. fair profit and fair payment for your time.

THEN you can determine at that price or slightly higher what the market will demand.

I hope this helps..

As a side note.. how about going to your local auto parts store and seeing about stainless steel brake line (the hard metal stuff that needs bent to fit)

I have no idea what it costs, but should be similar to your percolator stems.

just my 2 cents.
keep up the great work
it is inspiring

mike

overtaker
11-15-2008, 10:09 AM
Stu Will you share your bread recipe with us? ;) If your magic arrestor is something "new" you may want patent protection.

daddymikey1975
11-15-2008, 10:11 AM
Stu Will you share your bread recipe with us? ;) If your magic arrestor is something "new" you may want patent protection.

I don't believe he is interested in sharing his recipe with us due to safety concerns. I think he would feel bad if someone overlooked some important detail and hurt themselves or others. The only way he can assure that the recipe will yield the desired results is for him to control the build.

just my .02

mike

BoyntonStu
11-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Latest Amoeba Flash Arrestor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeONDYU9AWc

The Amoeba Flash Arrestor was built inside a 2" length of 5/16 SS tube. On the first try, it operated as an Hydroxy torch. After a short length of plastic tubing was added, it operated normally. I will be taking orders shortly.

Since the flash arrestor should be installed after the bubbler, my assumption is that copper tubing would be perfectly OK.

My plan is to use copper, and actually, copper’s heat conductivity has its advantages.

Please give me your comments about my business plan.

My introductory selling plan is as follows:

For HHO Forum members only, E-Z Reach devices, LLC will sell you a hand tested Amoeba Flash Arrestor for an introductory price of $15.

We plan to sell it to the public for $19.95. (What else?)

There are strings attached:

1> You must send me $15 cash and a self addressed envelope.
I will pay the return postage.

2> You must include a signed and dated statement as follows:

I _________ hereby absolve E-Z Reach Devices, LLC of any liability associated with my use of the Amoeba Flash Arrestor. I understand that I am purchasing it for my own use and experimentation and I take full responsibility for its safe use. I will follow all instructions enclosed with the Amoeba Flash Arrestor. I will not resell it to others.

Signed and dated.

Should any Amoeba Flash Arrestor, fail, I will gladly replace it for free if you return it along with postage.

This is exciting!

BoyntonStu

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aeONDYU9AWc"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aeONDYU9AWc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

overtaker
11-15-2008, 05:35 PM
would you like to test it on a 5lpm cell?

BoyntonStu
11-15-2008, 07:36 PM
would you like to test it on a 5lpm cell?

I would like to test it at the highest output on the market.

5 LPM is a fairly big output.

Anyone else with a bigger generator?

If not, sure, why not?

Would you make a video of it?

What size tubing do you use?

Today, I designed an Amoeba Flash Arrestor that will fit both 1/4 and 3/8 without modification.

BoyntonStu

overtaker
11-15-2008, 09:13 PM
I could use 1/4 or 3/8. I can give you more gas if you need it. I think I am about an hour away from you also. I would let you make a video. It would have to be after a bubbler though cause I don't want to blow up the pelican box. lol

BoyntonStu
11-15-2008, 09:52 PM
I could use 1/4 or 3/8. I can give you more gas if you need it. I think I am about an hour away from you also. I would let you make a video. It would have to be after a bubbler though cause I don't want to blow up the pelican box. lol

Hi!

Are you planning to come to Boynton?

BoyntonStu

overtaker
11-15-2008, 10:19 PM
are you near Naples or on the other coast?

BoyntonStu
11-15-2008, 11:11 PM
are you near Naples or on the other coast?

I used to live in Naples.

I live in Boynton Beach which is just South of Palm Beach and 60 miles north of Miami.

Do you video?

BoyntonStu

overtaker
11-15-2008, 11:24 PM
I live in pt. charlotte. and I don't shoot video or know how to post it.:rolleyes:

overtaker
11-15-2008, 11:27 PM
a better test would be on the lowest volumn booster I would think.

BoyntonStu
11-15-2008, 11:58 PM
a better test would be on the lowest volumn booster I would think.

Please expand and explain why.

Thanks,

BoyntonStu

P.S. How many flashes should a flash arrestor withstand before considering it effective?

IOW Do we test fire extinguishers 10,000 times before hanging one in a school?

How many times do you believe a flash arrestor would operate to protect you while in use in your vehicle?

overtaker
11-16-2008, 07:45 AM
My opinion is that a flash could make its way through easier the lower the pressure is. That is why a balloon test is so impressive.