PDA

View Full Version : Hydrogen & Nitrogen ???

JonDoh
11-13-2008, 02:21 AM
My buddy's car is used for racing using nitrous..... has anybody use the hho system with the nitrous system???

If not can HHO be used with nitrous?

If yes what were the effects?

redneck323
01-01-2009, 01:16 PM
heres my thoughts based on my understanding...

Nitrous Oxide however you word it is nitrogen and oxygen. The NOS is used in racing for more power because of its oxygen (it is an oxygen carrier which is why NOS setups usually have a NOS solenoid valve and a fuel solenoid valve exept on dry NOS setups which are used on EFI cars because the fuel delivery is already there they just modify the current delvery system upon injection of the nitrous...not gonna go to much more into detail with that) So you understand that more fuel/oxygen in the combustion chamber ='s more horsepower ( by the way my understanding is that the nitrogen is inert and it just acts as a buffer to the higher heat/ pressures of the excess fuel combustion). Because we are using HHO to fascilitate a better combustion for fuel mileage with more horsepower being a direct relationship so to speak. If you wanted to use HHO to assist in more horsepower you would need more hho when nos is injected then when not. Since the engine is burning more fuel i would think it would need more HHO, and since there is no specific gas to hho ratio and no one that i know of has reached an efficiency wall with the HHO i would say that increasing HHO for your nitrous injection is irrelevent since we are still increasing for use without nitrous which is less fuel volume.(hopefully that makes sense the way i worded it).i dont have any clue on volumes for either applications (spraying NOS or not). Hope this offers something to ya that ya didnt know LOL by the way i have no experience with mixing NOS and HHO so this is just an opinion based on my understand.
Thanks,
Carl

Cadillac
01-03-2009, 01:14 AM
The main advantage of NOS is that it cools the air dramatically allowing more air to enter the combustion chamber. Effectively increasing the volumetric efficiency of the engine. This does increase fuel needs to light the mix.

On the other hand hydrogen loves to expand and the introduction of NOS in the intake forces air to contract. You would think there would be some potential for force but how you would go about this is beyond the scope of any normal person. Even if you could find out a good mixture point air temperature, density...etc..are always changing in the real world. It would be impossible for the at home mechanic to design and build a computer capable of these type calculations/adjustments necessary. It would have to be precise.

NOS can be dangerous to the engine. It can increase the air density to the point where the piston can no longer compress the combustion chamber. In these cases something has to give and it will most likely be the connecting rod. It will either bend...best case scenario or it will shatter...worst case scenario. In both scenarios there is a risk of the engine catching on fire internally so it can prove to be very dangerous.