PDA

View Full Version : Drilled spark plugs

DrBrown
11-07-2008, 04:36 PM
A buddy of mine said he heard this rumor that drilling a 1/16" hole in the electrode tip on an iridium spark plug can make a cleaner burn and improve mpg. Me being a skeptic I told him he was full of crap and needed to stop listening to every story he finds. I am too cheap destroy my brand new spark plugs to find out but I thought maybe some of you have heard of this theory. Is there any truth to it or should I raise the BS flag? :o

Painless
11-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Take a look at this link:

Articles on Fuel Mileage (http://brightgreen.us/lubedev/smartgas/)

I cannot remember where, but the spark plug approach is covered here. It basically involves using spark plugs with no or low resistance and drilling a 1mm hold through the end of the tip.

Roland Jacques
11-07-2008, 06:53 PM
yeah thats the sight.
Go to
"Ultra MPG Super Tune Up"

"High Amp Spark Plugs: Use NGK V-Power plugs and NGK Wires.

Advantage: Improves engine performance. Provides better ignition amperage for best (hottest) spark to ignite fuel. Other plugs have excessive resistance and cause missing. This is most important in cold or wet weather. Excessive resistance creates a corona effect in the dark. This is a way to find too much secondary resistance. The resistance in the plug should never be more than about 6000 ohms. Please note that this is a free tip on NGK plugs but other lugs may also be drilled. This modification improves mileage. The free print or drawing for the plugs is given here. The hole you drill into the ground electrode is one millimeter or .039 inches. Use a drill press with a pin-vise to hold the drill bit."

Trying to drill that hole without possably distroying the spark plug seems Ify, but ive never tryed it.

Boltazar
11-07-2008, 07:18 PM
The center of the 1mm hole in the tong should be equal to the inside side of the center electrode

PAPAFIXIT
11-08-2008, 07:40 AM
Some of the information on this site is VERY interesting. Although one article puts a stick in the spokes of the HHO concept, others do provoke serious thought. As to the article "Amazing Ultra MPG Tune Up", what does OPTG stand for?
------------
Life is an ongoing learning process, when we cease to learn we cease to exist.

boeki
11-08-2008, 10:26 AM
OPTG = Ounces Per Ten Gallons

DrBrown
11-08-2008, 11:45 AM
That site is full of it. They say to NOT put your car in neutral when going down a hill. 1- Your car will be reving higher and using more gas. 2- you are increasing the resistance on the tires and as such decreasing MPG.

That is a true statement if you have an automatic transaxle. When you shift into neutral you will notice the RPM's climb about 500 RPM's and the car will roll better in gear. Now with a manual gearbox its wrong, you want to coast in neutral. So its not total hogwash if you understand how torque converters work.

Painless
11-08-2008, 11:56 AM
If the vehicle has an overun fuel cutoff then keeping the rpms above idle will be beneficial too.

Q-Hack!
11-09-2008, 03:32 AM
I have a 2006 Cadillac CTS automatic and it does a lot better shifting in neutral - thr RPM actualy drops not increases.

Same with my 2003 Saturn Vue. Shifting to neutral drops the rpm's. I also have a ScanGuage II which shows engine load. All data points to better fuel economy by shifting to neutral when slowing down.

DrBrown
11-10-2008, 01:26 PM
I cant shift to neutral because I have a taurus and the tranny doesnt like going in and out of gear, they get hot. Not everyone can afford a Caddy heh. Every car is made different. All the vehicles I have owned (all 2003 or older) had an increase in RPM in neutral while coasting. Sadly they were all Fords though. :)

Boltazar
11-10-2008, 08:52 PM
Guys it's just not safe to shift into N when slowing down to save gas. If it stalled or a tight situation came up you don't know what would happen. With my scan gague I've found that just taking my foot off the gas coming to a stop saves a lot.