PDA

View Full Version : Brown sediment buildup, what to fo?

TreyNC
11-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Thought I was going to be posting results this time, but not yet. Here is my latest issue... I started lowing 30amp fuses out of no where. I diluted my solution to no avail. I then noticed on the side of my generator opposite the drain valve was about 2.5-3" of brown sediment. I am using currently food grade KOH, which I believe is 90% pure, for my electrolyte. My entire core and electrical inside the unit is 304ss and nylon washers and threaded rod. What say you, try different electrolyte? Any body else have this happen.

Painless
11-07-2008, 11:50 AM
The brown sediment is simply your plates breaking in and is normal in large amounts at first. Drain off your electrolyte and run it through a coffee filter (have several handy as you'll want to keep changing it unless you like doing this for an hour :) ).

Eventually, your plates will stop producing this in such huge quantities. My last dry cell took about 20 hours of low amp runtime to remove the sediment.

TreyNC
11-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Thanks Painless, I'll take care of that.

Painless
11-07-2008, 04:09 PM
One tip I forgot to mention, if you're cell is a dry cell, is to ensure that the hose that feeds your cell is not plumbed right at the bottom of the reservoir. Attach it an inch or too higher than the lowest fluid level in the reservoir. This will allow sediment to settle to the bottom of the container and not get sucked back into the cell again.