PDA

View Full Version : Conditioning Plates for Dry cell??

Atechguy
11-03-2008, 09:14 PM
HI! There, I am trying to condition my new ss 316l plates , with citric acid ,can i do this with with the + NNNNN - plates assembled with the gaskets in between and the + and - on the outside plates and the put into the container of citric acid then connect the 6 amp charger to the outside plates -,+ ?? It didn't do much i tyraped the plates to gether to keep the gaskets and gap consistent, i tried 30 amps still didn't produce , do i need to make it series cell for it to produce and condition the plates ??It only works when i make it + - or +NN- , I haven't tried any other configs. yet, Any better ideas, Plates are 6.5 X 7. :o

hg2
11-04-2008, 05:54 AM
HI! There, I am trying to condition my new ss 316l plates , with citric acid ,can i do this with with the + NNNNN - plates assembled with the gaskets in between and the + and - on the outside plates and the put into the container of citric acid then connect the 6 amp charger to the outside plates -,+ ?? It didn't do much i tyraped the plates to gether to keep the gaskets and gap consistent, i tried 30 amps still didn't produce , do i need to make it series cell for it to produce and condition the plates ??It only works when i make it + - or +NN- , I haven't tried any other configs. yet, Any better ideas, Plates are 6.5 X 7. :o

The way I condition plates is after sanding and a good rinse in distilled water I soak them in a high concentration (30-40%) of koh for at least 3 days before assembly.I also rinse them well in distilled after the soak before I build the cell.

Atechguy
11-04-2008, 07:16 AM
HG2 i have sanded cross hatched , but i don't think your way is getting any impurities out of the ss with the voltage not running thru?? It would clean the outside of the plates , just thought i would try to do it best possible way instead of getting any muck in the system.:confused:

Painless
11-04-2008, 07:45 AM
I condition my dry cells by running them with a relatively weak electrolyte solution. With a properly setup reservoir, i.e. where the feed hose is not on the absolute bottom but a little ways up, the sediment will fall to the bottom and not get back into the cell.

The 7 plate dry cell I just made for my wife's vehicle took about 20 hours of running to pump clean, without sediment. At this point I would call the cell conditioned.

hg2
11-06-2008, 10:53 AM
HG2 i have sanded cross hatched , but i don't think your way is getting any impurities out of the ss with the voltage not running thru?? It would clean the outside of the plates , just thought i would try to do it best possible way instead of getting any muck in the system.:confused:

I built my cell over a year ago using this method and haven't seen any debris(worth mentioning) or muck during routine drain,rinse and refill maintenance every 2-3 months.Using a good grade of SS(316L) has very little impurities to start with.If your using anything less than that,I'd say by all means go with your method. Even after taking it apart for inspection after 6 months run time I still failed to see anything but some normal browning on some of the plates and a very very small amount of debris.

One thing I did after initional assembly is to run the unit for 8 hrs. then drained,rinsed with distilled and refill the unit before I installed it on the truck.

Remember most people here have learned to develop their own methods for what works for them.This method works fine for me but may differ completely from the next guys.