PDA

View Full Version : Ok ASE'ers! Vacuum Questions

HHOhoper
11-03-2008, 03:42 PM
I was going to post these in Painless' thread, but I didn't want to thread-jack.
Pardon my ignorance here, but how does a manifold vacuum system work? Why is there a vacuum like going to the brakes??? How many vacuum lines are there?

Thanks!

Keith's Garage
11-03-2008, 05:29 PM
I am not entirely sure I understand the question. Manifold vacuum is caused by the intake stroke of each piston. The vacuum going to the brakes is for the brake booster, this allows for you to have power brakes. every vehicle has a different amount of vacuum lines. If you can be a little more specific about your question I would glad to try my best to help.

HHOhoper
11-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Well that actually did answer a lot more than you may have thought! I had NO clue that brakes had vacuum lines in them at all. I thought it was all just simple hydrolics.
Are there any other systems (like brakes for example) that use the manifold vacuum?
Now applying this to HHO, if you wanted to have your HHO going through the manifold vacuum, are there places that are better than others to tap in? Hope that makes sense....

Jaxom
11-03-2008, 06:53 PM
Engine vacuum is commonly used to run the vent controls in older cars. There's also the vacuum feed to the brake booster, and the PCV valve which pulls fresh air through the crankcase to prevent the buildup of acidic fumes. Older carbed vehicles used vacuum for emissions equipment and driveability devices like the choke pulloff, dashpots, and such, and some even had vac-powered air pumps for things like self-leveling rear suspension.

Newer cars typically have very few vacuum devices....everything has gone electronic with servomotors and solenoids. PCV, evaporative emissions control, and the brake booster are the only things that are consistently vacuum-powered these days.

If you want to apply manifold vacuum to your HHO system, the best vac source will be the one nearest the throttlebody. This will give the best distribution of HHO into the engine's incoming air, so that you don't have one cylinder flooded with HHO and another starved for it.

Painless
11-03-2008, 07:16 PM
Jaxom,

I wonder if you mind taking a look at the pictures I posted today in my thread. I plumbed my HHO into the brake booster vacuum, I was originally planning to use the PCV but its so far back I just couldn't work with it easily.

There is another tube going into the top of the throttle body, right by the butterfly, but I'm not sure what it is before I try messing with it. Do you have any clues? The Dodge service manual was no help.

HHOhoper
11-03-2008, 09:11 PM
That is great info; thank you very much! If you guys don't mind, I'll take pics of my engines and you can give my your advice on where you think the best places to tap in would be?

BoyntonStu
11-03-2008, 09:53 PM
That is great info; thank you very much! If you guys don't mind, I'll take pics of my engines and you can give my your advice on where you think the best places to tap in would be?

Ever see a 104*F hot tub and the water vapor (steam) coming out?

Raise the temperature a bit higher, say 130*F and add vacuum, and the water will boil.

Vacuum is not a good way to inject Hydroxy unless you want to add a lot of water vapor to the flow.

BoyntonStu

HHOhoper
11-04-2008, 11:26 AM
I don't disagree with you. Fortunately, my cell doesn't get very hot at all due to the design and the amount of HHO I have it generating. My cell is also not under my hood, so I don't have to worry about that either. It is something I'll keep an eye on though.