PDA

View Full Version : Checking LPM's

Riddler250
10-26-2008, 07:44 PM
I finally got the smacks booster built. I hooked it up to my car last night just to prove to myself that it works. It does. There was a bunch a steam coming out of my exhaust and a nice size puddle of water under it. Looked like a blown head gasket, but it wasnt.
How is everyone measuring output? I need a good way to see how much gas i am actually producing.
Thanks. David

HHO_Chevelle
10-26-2008, 08:59 PM
First of all, unless your dumping huge quanities of HHO in that engine, it will not be producing steam or water vapor like that. I know you want it to be a substitute for your gasoline but in reality it's not that simple. I see alot of people hook these things up and expect their exhaust to instantly turn to water.

If you have a smacks booster your probably putting out 1 LPM or less unless you're really drawing some serious amps. You need to do a volume test though to verify it. You can easily do that with a 2 liter bottle filled with water turned upside down in a bucket of water and put your output line inside and time how long it takes to empty the bottle. There is plenty of people demonstrating this on youtube.

Good luck with our booster and let us know what your MPG gains are.

Thanks

Corey

HALS-GUNSMITHING
10-27-2008, 12:54 AM
Does any one no of a good source of cheap LPM gauges?

HHOinKY
10-27-2008, 01:22 AM

Empty 2 liter bottle with the wrapper taken off and a bucket.

Roland Jacques
10-27-2008, 07:28 AM

Bottle and bucket is the simplest method. And a accurate method IMO. most everybody uses this method to meassure production so it probably best way when comparing outputs.

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/PDF_files/RM_iom.pdf
These work good and not very expensive. (You must correct the # for the gas you’re measuring.)
For HHO, multiply by 1.53 for this type of meter.

Correct for temp also if you really want the true reading (This applies for the bottle method also)
Air at 2 LPM at 120 degree = 1.92 at 85 degrees
Air at 2 LPM at 150 degree = 1.86 at 85 degrees
I don’t know if temp correction is much different for HHO
If some knows this correction please let us know

Correct for pressure if their is any.

Then if you can figure out a way to factor out steam you'll be spot on

HALS-GUNSMITHING
10-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Bottle and bucket is the simplest method. And a accurate method IMO. most everybody uses this method to meassure production so it probably best way when comparing outputs.

http://www.dwyer-inst.com/PDF_files/RM_iom.pdf
These work good and not very expensive. (You must correct the # for the gas you’re measuring.)
For HHO, multiply by 1.53 for this type of meter.

Correct for temp also if you really want the true reading (This applies for the bottle method also)
Air at 2 LPM at 120 degree = 1.92 at 85 degrees
Air at 2 LPM at 150 degree = 1.86 at 85 degrees
I don’t know if temp correction is much different for HHO
If some knows this correction please let us know

Correct for pressure if their is any.

Then if you can figure out a way to factor out steam you'll be spot on

I already use this method I just would like to find something a little easier and faster to use. Thanks.

Riddler250
10-27-2008, 11:34 AM
First of all, unless your dumping huge quanities of HHO in that engine, it will not be producing steam or water vapor like that. I know you want it to be a substitute for your gasoline but in reality it's not that simple. I see alot of people hook these things up and expect their exhaust to instantly turn to water.

If you have a smacks booster your probably putting out 1 LPM or less unless you're really drawing some serious amps. You need to do a volume test though to verify it. You can easily do that with a 2 liter bottle filled with water turned upside down in a bucket of water and put your output line inside and time how long it takes to empty the bottle. There is plenty of people demonstrating this on youtube.

Good luck with our booster and let us know what your MPG gains are.

Thanks

Corey

After running for probably 10 minutes, a lot of water and steam was coming out of exhaust. it did not do that before, that I am sure. I unhooked it let my car run for a while and probably 5 minutes later the steam and water stopped. I could not see my exhaust before i hooked it up, and i can not see it now. It has to be that.

Realtyroy
10-27-2008, 11:44 AM
After running for probably 10 minutes, a lot of water and steam was coming out of exhaust. it did not do that before, that I am sure. I unhooked it let my car run for a while and probably 5 minutes later the steam and water stopped. I could not see my exhaust before i hooked it up, and i can not see it now. It has to be that.

Your Smack might be putting out a lot of steam along with the HHO. Have you checked how much current you are using? Are you using a bubbler,it will cool the gas and separate most of the steam before it goes into the engine?

Just thinking out loud.
Roy

Roland Jacques
10-27-2008, 12:02 PM
I already use this method I just would like to find something a little easier and faster to use. Thanks.

Id get the RMB-50D $40 (with the V___ seals) and what ever it reads Xs 1.53= get you in the ball park.
You might want the one with the reg valve on it. It allows you to put a little back pressure on it for easier reading (keeps the ball study in some cases).

Roland Jacques
10-27-2008, 12:11 PM

Very strange. i dont think it the HHO ether, something else is going on IMO.( unless your pumping in a whole lot (like 50 lpm plus) of HHO.

What is the temp of your cell?

PS. a average bubler wont seperate the steam.

Riddler250
10-27-2008, 12:28 PM
Very strange. i dont think it the HHO ether, something else is going on IMO.( unless your pumping in a whole lot (like 50 lpm plus) of HHO.

What is the temp of your cell?

PS. a average bubler wont seperate the steam.
I had the cell running pretty hot. the positive connection was real hot to the touch. We didnt measure temp and the we couldnt get an accurate reading on current The meter stopped working somewhere between testing on the bench and hooking it up to my car. I know some of it has to be steam even a lot of it. We couldnt see anything coming up after the bubbler. I would think that it would have to be a lot of steam to be visible out of the exhaust, but wouldnt i be able to see it coming out of the bubbler?

HALS-GUNSMITHING
10-27-2008, 04:42 PM
where can this be found

Farmercal
10-27-2008, 05:25 PM
I had the cell running pretty hot. the positive connection was real hot to the touch. We didnt measure temp and the we couldnt get an accurate reading on current The meter stopped working somewhere between testing on the bench and hooking it up to my car. I know some of it has to be steam even a lot of it. We couldnt see anything coming up after the bubbler. I would think that it would have to be a lot of steam to be visible out of the exhaust, but wouldnt i be able to see it coming out of the bubbler?If you are producing HHO, you should be able to see it in the bubbler. In fact, that is the only way to see it in a smacks booster as the container isn't clear.

Riddler250
10-27-2008, 06:10 PM
If you are producing HHO, you should be able to see it in the bubbler. In fact, that is the only way to see it in a smacks booster as the container isn't clear.
We observed plenty of bubbles coming through in the bubbler. infact on the bench We had the output of the bubbler going into a bucket of water with a little soap to hold the gas. we lit it and BOOM! Sounded like a shotgun but louder. That was after about 10min running at around 12a. What was not seen in the clear hose was steam or water vapor. I am sure there was steam though Im just saying it was not visable. there was plenty of steam coming out of the exhaust though. I placed a sock over the tail pipe and it stayed clean but got very wet. There was also a rather large puddle of water under the pipe.