PDA

View Full Version : Question about copper wire in unit...

sho14u
10-26-2008, 12:25 AM
Hey guys, member for a while and like you I have built MANY of these things and am pretty happy with the Smacks design that I am using. I am building three and hopefully running all of them in the future. The stumbling block that I am having is that I would like to use a flexible connection from my cell to the lid of my unit. The SS is too unforgiving and I would like to use an 8-10 guage wire for my connection inside the unit. I know that we all like to use SS as this is most corrosion resistant. Has anyone found a way to use something more flexible? Possibly sealing a copper wire so as the electrolyte would not penitrate the insulation? I would love any advice from you guys. I will probably try 10 guage in the morning and seal it up as good as possible.

mytoyotasucks
10-26-2008, 02:07 AM
Hey guys, member for a while and like you I have built MANY of these things and am pretty happy with the Smacks design that I am using. I am building three and hopefully running all of them in the future. The stumbling block that I am having is that I would like to use a flexible connection from my cell to the lid of my unit. The SS is too unforgiving and I would like to use an 8-10 gauge wire for my connection inside the unit. I know that we all like to use SS as this is most corrosion resistant. Has anyone found a way to use something more flexible? Possibly sealing a copper wire so as the electrolyte would not penetrate the insulation? I would love any advice from you guys. I will probably try 10 gauge in the morning and seal it up as good as possible.

OK for starters - use wire with OXY-free insulation on wire, otherwise it will degrade. As for a coating u can try tool dip - but clean really good.

And try to find SS straping/banding, thats what im using.

H2OPWR
10-26-2008, 02:58 AM
Hey guys, member for a while and like you I have built MANY of these things and am pretty happy with the Smacks design that I am using. I am building three and hopefully running all of them in the future. The stumbling block that I am having is that I would like to use a flexible connection from my cell to the lid of my unit. The SS is too unforgiving and I would like to use an 8-10 guage wire for my connection inside the unit. I know that we all like to use SS as this is most corrosion resistant. Has anyone found a way to use something more flexible? Possibly sealing a copper wire so as the electrolyte would not penitrate the insulation? I would love any advice from you guys. I will probably try 10 guage in the morning and seal it up as good as possible.

Many people including myself have tried to make connections in the cell using copper. Water is a very unforgiving thing. No matter how well you try and insulate the copper from the hartsh invironment in your cell water will find a way to stop you. You will be way further ahead to admit defeat and keep the copper outside the cell. Use only 316L stainless or better materials in the cell and you will avoid frustration and defeat.

sho14u
10-26-2008, 11:17 AM
Do they by chance make a multi-strand stainless wire in a 8-10 guage?

mytoyotasucks
10-26-2008, 11:36 AM

yes - dont know what grades though.

overtaker
10-26-2008, 11:36 AM
Yes they do. I've found stainless wire in the local hardware store and the tractor supply. Do ask them what grade the wire is ( 316,304 etc.).

sho14u
10-26-2008, 11:48 AM
Cool... Im on a mission, will let you know what I find this morning

H2OPWR
10-26-2008, 02:38 PM

They make Aircraft braided cable out of 316 stainless. Look at the Aircraft supply stores where private small airplane owners get FAA certified airplane parts.

donnylynn
10-26-2008, 03:32 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42921

Twist together however many strands you neeed and put a piece of shirink tubing over it